shape
carat
color
clarity

Tempted by this OEC--advice?

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I saw this OEC in the booth of an antique jewelry dealer and was tempted. It's very fiery and lively. It has a small table and a big culet. The cut is not very symmetrical, but I don't mind that in an OEC. The dealer told me it was "about a carat" and "very white," which she said was based on her own evaluation of the diamond in its setting, not on an independent appraisal or lab report. The setting is 14K yellow gold in a style popular in the late 19th-early 20th century, very simple; if I bought this, I would probably reset it.

I asked how white? She said G/H. It does face up pretty white, but I definitely saw yellow from the side--I'm guessing it's J or lower. I inspected it through a loupe and saw a little chip or natural on the girdle, and nothing else glaring, though it was a little smudged/dirty, and something could be hiding under a prong. This seller has some lovely antique jewelry, and the stuff that I'm knowledgeable about is generally accurately described. Her prices for items I'm knowledgeable about are generally not outrageous, but not super cheap either.

These photos show the OEC ring on my pinky, with my 1.4mm round sapphire on my ring finger. The settings are about the same height.

Does "about a carat" look plausible?

Would you be tempted by this diamond? If so, what would consider a decent price?

IMG_5639.jpg IMG_5640 (1).jpg IMG_5640.jpg IMG_5641.jpg

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
How many mm is the diamond? Here are a couple of potential comps of stone less than a carat:

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I can’t tell much from your pictures, but I would be tempted by this, and I love the original setting!

Musia

Brilliant_Rock
I know nothing but I look at your gorgeous sapphire and this diamond and think they could be friends :). They look lovely next to each other!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Thank you, diamond friends. Hm. I didn't have a caliper with me and don't know the diameter (or other measurements). I suspect it's possibly higher clarity and much lower color than the two comps Lulu suggested, but it may be bigger. Or maybe not. Anyway, I think I don't have enough info to buy it safely, so I guess I'll pass.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
@Mreader found this OEC and the price is great. It’s warmer than the one you are considering and has a GIA report.

Not to derail but I keep coming back to this and trying to figure out why the price is so low. Any ideas? When I do comps I can’t find anything near that price. Like is the facet pattern not great or something? It’s only one photograph facing forward. Anyway just scratching my head over it!!

ETA - if you are smitten w the ring @glitterata you can return w calipers and measure :)

Last edited:

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not to derail but I keep coming back to this and trying to figure out why the price is so low. Any ideas? When I do comps I can’t find anything near that price. Like is the facet pattern not great or something? It’s only one photograph facing forward. Anyway just scratching my head over it!!

ETA - if you are smitten w the ring @glitterata you can return w calipers and measure :)

Wonder if the price is low because the GIA is 2/20 so they’ve had this for over a year and may just want to sell it and get cash in hand. They don’t have the “make an offer” button so perhaps this is the lowest price they will accept. It looks promising in the photos and the seller has good reviews so worth a shot for someone looking for an OEC with these specs.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results