shape
carat
color
clarity

Tell me what you all think . . .

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
. . . of this eternity band from Sun Jewelry: http://www.sunjewelry.com/ab1464.html

I've been looking for a prong-set eternity band for when we upgrade my set, and I just fell in love with this setting!
30.gif

I would get their "very fine" quality stones (G/H, VS1/VS2) and I would have them make the setting in 18k yellow gold, size 7. (I actually wear a 6.5, but I'd want to get it a little big since it can never be resized ~ if I need to, I can always have a jeweler put sizing beads inside of it to make it smaller.) The total price with all of these upgrades would be $4,609. Do you think this is a decent deal, or should I keep looking? I really love the trellis eternity bands, and I've had a really hard time finding one for a reasonable price.
40.gif

Thanks for any advice you can give me!
35.gif

ETA: Forgot to mention . . . the total carat weight is 3.50, so the stones would be about 0.175 each I think. Would that look pretty substantial? (I have no concept of size when it comes to eternity bands.)
33.gif

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Was it you who posted about another ring from this company on SMTR, and someone said the quality of this place isn''t that good? Quite frankly, if you''re paying $4400. for a 3.5ct eternity band? I don''t think the quality of stones is going to be "very fine" at all, just that description is weird to me, and the pricing suggests a much lower quality stone (who determines the grade of these stones?). Also, the structure of the setting is very bulky. You can get much nicer and well made eternity bands from Facets, IIRC, with a big selection of quality stones.

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/6/2008 10:45:52 AM
Author: surfgirl
Was it you who posted about another ring from this company on SMTR, and someone said the quality of this place isn't that good? Quite frankly, if you're paying $4400. for a 3.5ct eternity band? I don't think the quality of stones is going to be 'very fine' at all, just that description is weird to me, and the pricing suggests a much lower quality stone (who determines the grade of these stones?). Also, the structure of the setting is very bulky. You can get much nicer and well made eternity bands from Facets, IIRC, with a big selection of quality stones.
Surfgirl~

It wasn't me, and I don't think I remember seeing that post. I checked Facets, and I didn't see any eternity bands in a trellis setting, which is really what I'm looking for. Maybe WF could custom make something similar?
33.gif

ETA: Sun Jewelry's website says they have a 30-day, no-questions-asked return policy, so it might be worthwhile to order one and try it out? If I don't love it, I guess I could always just send it back for a refund.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I *almost* bought an eternity band from Sun Jewelry last year around the same time I found PS. I had read many reviews saying they were great, but then read one review from a woman who had gotten her eternity band appraised by an independent appraiser and found out her VS stones had visible inclusions (I'd assume they were SI2-I1?). When she told them their grading was not accurate and she wanted to return it, they told her that grading was subjective and she ended up having to pay to have it shipped back (insured). While it was only one bad review among several nice reviews, she was also the only one to get the ring independently appraised, which was enough for me not to trust them. I didn't want to order it and get stuck paying $50 in shipping if I found out it wasn't what I ordered.

Anyway, I realize this is all heresay and may not be relevant, but it was the reason I didn't go with Sun in the end.

ETA: I find AMG Girl's and Sna777's wife's rings to be helpful when looking at 16+ point stones in an eternity setting. Neither is a trellis setting (the tiffany has an open gallery, though)

Here is AMGgal's HW eternity https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/just-engaged.83311/

And Sna777's wife's Tiffany eternity (16 point stones) https://www.pricescope.com/forum/show-me-the-ring/tiffany-co-2-86-tcw-shared-prong-eternity-band-t83307.html

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
NEL~

Thanks for your input! I agree that an independent appraisal would be necessary within the 30-day return period. But, that's probably something I would do regardless of which vendor I bought from. And, if I take it to an appraiser and the appraiser tells me that my VS stones are actually SI stones (but are still eye-clean), and that the G/H color grade is really more like H/I, I don't think that would necessarily be a deal breaker. As long as the band appraised for more than I paid for it, and as long as I think it's beautiful, I think I would still be satisfied with the purchase. The brick wall I keep running into is that I just CAN'T seem to find ANY other trellis eternity bands in my price range (or even close to my price range). However, this one really seems to fit the bill. I'm encouraged by Sun's return policy, too . . . seems like they are pretty fair.
1.gif

ETA: Thanks for the links! It looks like both of those bands are about 2.5 ctw. They look WAY bigger than I expected a 2.5 ctw band to look! So, maybe I don't really need to go as big as 3.5 ctw? That was really helpful for size reference, NEL . . . thanks again!!!
21.gif

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I think the independent appraisal is a good idea--at least you''ll know exactly what you''re getting and can make a decision from there within the 30-day return window. And for the record, she had no issue with color or price--I believe it appraised at a higher color grading than listed and he still appraised it for 50% more than what she paid, even with the lower clarity.

I saw that the total carat weight for both rings I listed was under 3 carats, but those ladies have such teeny tiny hands that I thought the general idea of how it would be similar.

Good luck and let us know what you decide!

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
NEL, that''s true! I didn''t notice what their ring sizes were, so a 2.5 ctw eternity band would probably look MUCH smaller on my honkin'' big fingers!
40.gif

Oh, well . . . just gives me an excuse to go with higher carat weight! LOL!
27.gif

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Oh, there must be someone else asking about them on the other area...I didn't realize you're specifically looking for a trellis setting. Is it purely aesthetic or what? I ask because there are some lovely, delicate eternity settings that are quite sparse in the metalwork. I dont know what they're called though I know some folks here have them. Maybe they'll see this thread and check in. Do you live near Sun that you could go in person and see yourself what the stone quality looks like before you buy?

Also, have you done any BBB searches on them to see if they have any issues with customers that have been registered with BBB?

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Surfgirl~

Good ideas!
21.gif

I checked Sun''s website, and they have two showrooms: one (their main office) is in LA, and the other is in Hershey, PA. The one in Hershey is "by appointment only," and it''s pretty close to me, so I might be able to go and see them in person. Also, I did check them out with the BBB, which rates them as "A" (excellent).

As far as the setting is concerned: I''m going for a trellis setting if at all possible, mainly because I just like the way they look. I have seen several different styles of eternity bands, including prong set, channel set, etc., and the trellis setting is the one that really grabs me. (My second choice would be the prong set ones ~ I''m not a big fan of the channel bands.) I think maybe the one you''re talking about (with very little metal) is the "Raphael" style? If so, I have seen that one, and I just don''t like it as well as the trellis setting for some reason. I don''t know what it is . . . I guess I just like the way the trellis setting "flows" if that makes any sense?
19.gif

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
personally i think that you can find better (mind-clean) quality elsewhere than guessing on this one.

i too saw the post that was made about the quality from them being less than was desired.

you are spending a chunk of money, IMO i think you should go with a place that has a better reputation on quality

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
I''m only guessing, but the reason why no one else seems to be making a trellis eternity may be that it would be rather uncomfortable? I can''t imagine a trellis that isn''t wide between both of your fingers.

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Purrfectpear~

That might be true . . . I would definitely like to try one on before making a final decision. I know a lot of people here on PS have had trouble finding an eternity band that''s comfortable to wear, and that may be even more of a problem with a trellis setting. I''m hoping not though . . . I really love the look of the trellis setting!
40.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I looooove the design of the setting!! I might call up WF and ask them for a quote on a custom design using that picture. I would feel better getting really well-cut stones from WF and the prongs on the sunjewelry picture looked a little clunky. You get what you pay for sometimes... You might want to just consider going down in stone size a little bit and go for quality, 4k can still buy you a nice blingy eternity band.

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kcoursolle~

Thank you! I think calling WF for a quote might be a good idea. I was THRILLED with the studs they did for me recently, so I''m a big fan of WF! And, if they can do something similar, I''d probably go with them instead of Sun (even if it costs a little more). Thanks!
35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results