shape
carat
color
clarity

Tell me what I'm not seeing

Elsp03

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I have been browsing the forum and learning for a couple of months now. I'm in the process of buying an engagement ring and had no idea how much I didn't know when I started. I truly appreciate all the wisdom that's available on this forum. Basics are that I'm hoping to purchase a Canadian diamond for sentimental reasons, but am also local to Whiteflash. My current thoughts are to purchase a loose diamond online and then go to Whiteflash for the setting. I don't want to end up with a completely inferior diamond by doing this, but the origin is important to me and will be to her. I was planning to get a diamond around the 1 carat mark, but came across this in my searching yesterday. I'd love your thoughts, especially on what I'm missing. I believe the HCA came out to 1.8.

http://www.brilliantearth.com/loose-diamonds/view_detail/2176774/

Same diamond, better price: http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-8309252-0.87-carat-Round-diamond-H-color-VS2-clarity.aspx

Thank you!

Taylor

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, it has good numbers I just hate buying stones without pictures. b2c has a 30 day return policy so I think it's worth taking a look.
Ask b2c if they can get pictures...idealscope image would be nice too.

That's a big price difference! Good for you to look around and find it somewhere cheaper!

Elsp03

Rough_Rock
Thank you! That's what worries me too, not seeing it beforehand. That's why I'd love any input on anything that might be off about it. But right, I could always return it. Would it make sense to take it to an appraiser after I receive it?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Seems fine, did you know you can narrow down diamonds at ja to show just Canadian ones?

Just another option if you're worried about this one

Elsp03

Rough_Rock
Thank you, yes, I saw that but haven't found as attractive an option on JA. I'll take another look though.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Elsp03|1465479005|4042157 said:
Thank you, yes, I saw that but haven't found as attractive an option on JA. I'll take another look though.

I did check ja and didn't find anything as good price wise from Canada.

puncho

Rough_Rock
I contacted WF about settings. They won't do custom settings unless you buy the diamonds from them...just a heads up.

Elsp03

Rough_Rock
Okay, now I have a few questions about tracing origin and where to purchase. I realize that tracing Canadian diamonds can be complicated. However, this stone is listed as coming with a certificate verifying origin on BE. But when I asked b2c, they said they cannot provide a certificate of origin. The GIA certificate doesn't list any additional inscriptions. Is this a case of BE doing extra legwork to verify? Or is their process not as stringent as they would have us believe? I'm not willing to pay an extra $1000 for the certificate, but I'd like a way to find it myself if possible. Or at least to know I'm not being scammed.

Any help is appreciated!

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Elsp03|1465502561|4042341 said:
Okay, now I have a few questions about tracing origin and where to purchase. I realize that tracing Canadian diamonds can be complicated. However, this stone is listed as coming with a certificate verifying origin on BE. But when I asked b2c, they said they cannot provide a certificate of origin. The GIA certificate doesn't list any additional inscriptions. Is this a case of BE doing extra legwork to verify? Or is their process not as stringent as they would have us believe? I'm not willing to pay an extra $1000 for the certificate, but I'd like a way to find it myself if possible. Or at least to know I'm not being scammed.

Any help is appreciated!

I doubt that it is a scam. I found the diamond listed on a price list available to many retailers with the location listed as "in India" and the origin is listed by the supplier in the comments section as "Canadian Origin."

Many companies may not wish to issue a certificate without a provable tracking system in place to be sure that they are actually certifying the truth about the origin. A certificate is a legal document, unlike an opinion such as those issued by Gem Grading Laboratories which are properly referred to as, "Grading Reports'" although they are frequently referred to as "Certs or Certificates." Without a provable tracking system, it would be easy to end up in court defending a cert if it ever ended up not to be true.

Wink

Elsp03

Rough_Rock
Thank you, Wink! I really appreciate that and it makes a lot of sense. That puts my mind at ease. Still quite a premium being charged by Brilliant Earth, though!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results