shape
carat
color
clarity

Tell me about your programmable crockpot please!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Well, it''s starting to feel like fall in Indiana today. So, this morning I got out my trusty crockpot of almost 15 years to start dinner...but the lid has broken over the winter (how I don''t know!) So, I''ve decided I''m going to bite the bullet and get a new crockpot.

I''ve been looking online and the programmable ones have appeal. Ideally, I''d like one that will start out on high then switch to low..then eventually a warm setting but the only ones I can find that do that are the over $100 ones.

So, I''m looking for opinions on the programmable crockpots. Do you use the programmable features? What do you like about your crockpot/slow cooker? What do you NOT like?

These are some I''m considering:

On sale--Would the probe be useful?: http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/ref=br_1_2/602-0153417-9676669?ie=UTF8&frombrowse=1&asin=B000HG7YUQ

Rival--Is it big enough for a whole chicken and lots of soup? http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/ref=br_1_4/602-0153417-9676669?ie=UTF8&frombrowse=1&asin=B000JJNT9Q

Higher priced KitchenAid...would it be worth it? http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/ref=br_1_15/602-0153417-9676669?ie=UTF8&frombrowse=1&asin=B000GXBILQ

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't have one, but really would love to purchase one! Hopefully someone will chime in with a great suggestion
1.gif

Cleopatra

Brilliant_Rock
Island:
I''ve actually been thinking the same thing with the fall weather approaching. I do so love a nice homemade soup from a crockpot. I''ve been doing some "shopping around" for a crockpot lately and I think I have settled on the more pricey KitchenAid. I want something programmable like you said and want something to cook a whole chicken....It appears we have the same wants when it comes to Crockpots!
41.gif

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
I have the Rival one but I haven''t used it yet as I just received it as a shower gift. i''ll let you know when I do use it if you haven''t bought one yet. I was really excited about the timer as I''m usually gone for more than 8 hours at a time and my roast was once a wee bit TOO tender.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
My 4.5qt oval is big enough for a 12lb turkey so any of the 3 will be big enough for a chicken.
I don''t bother with programmable ones myself.
I cant see spending $125 on one so my pick would be one of the others.
I paid $20 for mine.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
1. Probe mode - Insert probe into cut of meat, set the desired meat temperature, and slow cooker automatically shifts to keep warm when temperature is reached

That sounds really interesting and something I would be interested in.

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Well, I went to Target and picked up a new crockpot because I planned to use it tomorrow morning. I decided on the Hamilton Beach one with the probe..option #1 on my list. I was on sale for about $35. I think it will work. IT probably holds the same amount of my old crock pot but the shape is different. It''s a lot shallower and wider (oval) compared to my taller round version. It will definitely fit a 3 pound chicken...probably even 2 of them if I wanted. The only thing that is strange is there is a hole where the probe goes that would be open if not using the probe.

I got this one: http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/ref=br_1_2/602-0153417-9676669?ie=UTF8&frombrowse=1&asin=B000HG7YUQ

Does anyone know if the silicon bakeware is safe to use inside a crockpot? I was thinking I could use my silicon loaf pan to make meatloaf...it would be easier to get out and keep it more contained since the new crockpot is more spread out?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
that is strange that there isnt a cover. how big is the hole?
must be too small too matter much...

not sure on the bakeware....

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Silicon bakeware is okay up to 550 degrees or something like that? Which is way hotter than the crockpot gets, but I''d still check both things (how hot silicon can take it, and what temp corresponds to the lo and hi settings on the crock).

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Well I got a pleasant surprise. I was emailing with my former MIL about the KitchenAid crockpot that I liked but was out of budget. She contacted my former BIL who works for Whirlpool and he has offered to get it for me with his employee discount which makes it more than 1/2 off. I think I may keep the one I got from Target boxed up and take him up on the offer. What a sweetie. He said it will take about a week or so to get.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results