shape
carat
color
clarity

Tell me about Iceland!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
So, a friend of mine is trying to book a spur of the moment package to Iceland and asked me to join her. I actually can go those days since I won't be in work for most of them due to a holiday break so I just need to decide if I want to go. My DH is encouraging me to go- we have the time and money- but I feel bad about spending the extra time away from him since I have to take a 3 night trip a week later and he will be away the week prior for work. Also, I dont spend that kind of money on myself on a whim.... so convince me to go!

I would love to hear experiences and see pics. Reccommendations would be great as well :)

time is ticking... :loopy:

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
I would totally do it, especially since you said you have the time, the money, and your DH's blessing!

My husband is away a lot (military), typically about 7-8 months out of the year. That really stinks, and for a while I felt guilty if I ever wanted to go out of town without him while he was home because I felt like we should make up for lost time, but he is always very supportive. He knows it's important for me to have time with my friends, and he also understands that I can't ALWAYS plan those getaways for a time that he's also gone. We kind of have an understanding that we are married and have the rest of our lives together, hopefully at least 50 more years, so a few extra days apart here and there is no big deal - just a drop in the ocean.

I think it sounds like an awesome experience! GO! :)

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
We flew Icelandic Airlines many years ago, and during a 7 hour lay over in Iceland we took a bus to the Blue Lagoon. Gorgeous natural geothermal spa. One of my favorite memories ever. I found the photo on-line.

I recommend you go. This is truly a unique island.

blue-lagoon-iceland.jpg

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
sonnyjane|1325991259|3097621 said:
I would totally do it, especially since you said you have the time, the money, and your DH's blessing!

My husband is away a lot (military), typically about 7-8 months out of the year. That really stinks, and for a while I felt guilty if I ever wanted to go out of town without him while he was home because I felt like we should make up for lost time, but he is always very supportive. He knows it's important for me to have time with my friends, and he also understands that I can't ALWAYS plan those getaways for a time that he's also gone. We kind of have an understanding that we are married and have the rest of our lives together, hopefully at least 50 more years, so a few extra days apart here and there is no big deal - just a drop in the ocean.

I think it sounds like an awesome experience! GO! :)

very true!

lulu

Ideal_Rock
I won't even try to convince you to go. I'm peevish about the whale hunting.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
lulu|1325993770|3097654 said:
I won't even try to convince you to go. I'm peevish about the whale hunting.
:-o

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Fly Girl|1325991431|3097623 said:
We flew Icelandic Airlines many years ago, and during a 7 hour lay over in Iceland we took a bus to the Blue Lagoon. Gorgeous natural geothermal spa. One of my favorite memories ever. I found the photo on-line.

I recommend you go. This is truly a unique island.

I flew to Europe several times on Icelandic Air in the 1980s (out of O'Hare). Great airline with the best prices on airfare and incredible service. Those were the days. I, too, had a long layover and got to see some of the beautiful countryside. I didn't see any whale hunting (?).

Anyway, Amy -- go! It's a beautiful country. I'd love to go back some day.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Go to Iceland. Dont let this opportunity pass you by. You will regret if you dont go and if you do go, you'll be so happy you chose to do so!

Echidna

Brilliant_Rock
Please go. It is one of the most amazingly unique places I've ever visited. Where else can you see the crust of the earth forming?! Swimming in the blue lagoon is pretty special too. It's just...different.

I'll try to dig up some pictures but it truly is a once-in-a-lifetime place to visit. I'm hoping to take DH back at some point but that seems unlikely at this stage...

Echidna

Brilliant_Rock
Here are some photos, Amy.

IMG_1126.JPG

Echidna

Brilliant_Rock
Reykjavik

IMG_1137.JPG

Echidna

Brilliant_Rock
Looking out across the bay from Reykjavik

IMG_1119.JPG

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Echidna|1326013611|3097794 said:
Reykjavik

Love this!! I do kinda feel like- while they may run specials and deals a lot to go- when will I have a friend wanting to go and the days off work already and a price that fits the bill. What if I don't get the "stars to align again"??? And if I do have a perfect chance to go again.... Then great for me right! Ahhhh time is ticking and I need to either pull the trigger or let it go :confused:

Echidna

Brilliant_Rock
Amys Bling|1326015516|3097798 said:
Echidna|1326013611|3097794 said:
Reykjavik

Love this!! I do kinda feel like- while they may run specials and deals a lot to go- when will I have a friend wanting to go and the days off work already and a price that fits the bill.

Never! Just do it :cheeky:

ETA: I even went before the market there crashed, so it is literally the MOST expensive place I have ever visited. It is probably CHEAP now :appl:

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I went years ago on a solo trip. I highly recommend!! But, how many hours of daylight do they have right now? You may be able to see the Northern Lights now (would be a separate trip from Reykjavik). I would go just for that!

If you do go, I suggest a short riding trip on an Icelandic horse! There are a number of different groups that offer short (3 hr-ish) rides. Definitely worth a google. They are smaller, and so cute!

And/or a 4X4 off-road (truly off-road!) glacier trip.

Go, go, go and come back and tell us all about it!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Go go go!!! Life is too short to pass up opportunities that land in our laps!!! you have the time/money/DH blessing... what's holding you back??? :errrr:

Enjoy - and in terms of spending money on your self - you buy diamonds, so just think of this as a diamond that you get to share with a girlfriend! :D :D

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was in the US military and stationed in Iceland for 18 months back in the 70s.
After all these years just a few odd things stick in my memory ...

Beautiful country and people.
I found the women to be extraordinarily beautiful, while the men . . . well . . . at least the women are beautiful.
Spectacular natural scenery!
Lots of glaciers and steam rising from volcanic activity which is harnessed to heat many buildings.
The contrast of heat and cold is very other-worldly.

Tons of summer greenery.
In fact, over 1000 years ago the explorers who discovered Greenland and Iceland switched the names to trick newcomers into emigrating to Greenland so they could keep Iceland for themselves.

The long dark winter nights in several northern European countries contributes to high suicide and alcoholism rates.
The cheerful brightly-colored roofs are meant to help these problems a bit.

Over the centuries the country was rather isolated and the race remained quite pure.
Black American service members were not even allowed onto the island until surprisingly late.
Being so isolated the language did not change much, so 1000 year old Icelandic texts are very similar to their language today .
Small towns did not have street signs because everyone knew the street names, which was maddening for visitors.

Iceland had the BEST BEST BEST ice cream I ever tasted, also their Coke was delicious, as was the lamb hot dogs.
The only bad memory was the awful smell of racks and racks of fish drying outdoors.

I also remember the looooooooooooong, cold, dark, and windy winters and the fantastic, once again other-worldly, aurora borealis (aka Northern Lights) under Iceland's winter night sky.

Once dark windy night I was walking across an icy parking lot and I was LITERALLY blown away, far away.
Fortunately people saw me and helped rescue me.

April20

Ideal_Rock
I have no advice re: Iceland, however I just wanted to say that if you have the opportunity and the means, DO IT. You do not know when or if the stars will align again! So go and come back and tell us all about it.

karpouzi

Shiny_Rock
This year, the Northern Lights are supposed to be the brightest they've been in 50 years.

Archerp

Rough_Rock
My husband and I went to Reykjavik about a year ago on one of the Icelandair deals. I definitely recommend taking advantage of the low airfare and hotel rates. Due to the economic collapse, prices are lower than they used to be, so it can be a good opportunity to go at this time. Prices at restaurants and attractions were on par with prices in NYC, so it's not super cheap, but it's doable.

The Blue Lagoon, while a tourist attraction, was amazing. Definitely go there or another geothermal spa if you find another you prefer. We were swimming around while it was 34 degrees outside, and it even started snowing at one point. If you go to the Blue Lagoon and are staying in Reykjavik, you will see that guide books suggest you go either heading from or going to the airport. I think that is best, because it is located closer to the airport than the city, and traveling there and back will take time that you could use to see other sights.

We went to the National Museum of Iceland and saw the view of the city from the tower of the Hallgrimskirkja.

I really wanted to do the Golden Circle tour, but we couldn't fit that in during our visit. A friend who did the Icelandair deal a few months after us did that, and she highly recommended it. I will have to go back to do that.

For a restaurant, I recommend 3 Frakkar Hja Ulfari. I had a terrific mushroom soup to start and salt cod for my entree. So good! They have traditional foods on the menu as well as other items.

We went in February, so much of the ground outside of the city was covered in snow. We didn't get to see the volcanic landscape. If you go later in the year, hopefully some of the snow will have melted! They were offering deals last year through June, which is amazing.

They do not believe in plowing or shoveling, so you will see snow on the runway, highway exits not cleared and slush all over the roads, and slush and ice on the sidewalks. I think only 2 of the many homes I walked by in the city shoveled their own walks and stairs. So make sure your shoes have good traction, because you will need to walk on ice and snow, and may need to climb an icy stairway.

Have fun (if you go)!

(Excuse the fragment below - I'm posting on my phone and can't edit that portion of my post.)

They do not believe in plowing or shoveling

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well I've taken everything into consideration- and ended up passing: I would have had to flown alone since the cheap flights out to my friend in Boston didn't work out. So flying and booking alone meant I didn't get the deal--- and I would be flying out 3 days later for a girls trip somewhere else.

Good news is that after reading these posts and looking into Iceland and all it has to offer- Dh and I are definitely going to plan a trip there- possibly as a 3 day layover on our way to Europe. So good news is Iceland has been put on our list of places to go! My friend has another friend going out with her fro
Boston do they are able to get the discount- while I would have been solo and paying a few hundred more. Oh well- thus allows me to focus on our anniversary trip to San Fran& Napa and my girls trip down south for a long weekend.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well I've taken everything into consideration- and ended up passing: I would have had to flown alone since the cheap flights out to my friend in Boston didn't work out. So flying and booking alone meant I didn't get the deal--- and I would be flying out 3 days later for a girls trip somewhere else.

Good news is that after reading these posts and looking into Iceland and all it has to offer- Dh and I are definitely going to plan a trip there- possibly as a 3 day layover on our way to Europe. So good news is Iceland has been put on our list of places to go! My friend has another friend going out with her fro
Boston do they are able to get the discount- while I would have been solo and paying a few hundred more. Oh well- thus allows me to focus on our anniversary trip to San Fran& Napa and my girls trip down south for a long weekend.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results