shape
carat
color
clarity

teens and self help books(girls)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lauralu

Brilliant_Rock
Does anyone have any good recommendations for books that would be especially helpful for teenage girls? I am going through barnes and nobles site and I see a few that look good. However, if anyone knows of any personally that would be good. Please let me know...

Sparkster

Brilliant_Rock
''Girl Stuff'' by Kaz Cooke. It''s an Australian publication so I''m not sure if you can get it where you are (America?), but I''m sure some of the major bookstores could order it in for you if you are interested.

Click on the link below for a review.

Girl Stuff

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Depends on what they need help with. If it''s self esteem issues, there''a s fascinating book called Reviving Ophelia: Saving the Selves of Adolescent Girls, but it''s directed more at adults (it''s more written from a case-study/psychology point of view). If the girl in question is pretty advanced, thought, it''s a great read.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m going to second the recommendation for Dr. Mary Pipher. I read Reviving Ophelia when I was in high school (so it''s at least 11 years old) but it''s great and I''ve given copies to a few of my own students recently. Reviving Ophelia deals with image disorders, but Dr. Pipher wrote several other books as well, and they''re all quite easy to read.

lauralu

Brilliant_Rock
I guess it would help if I was more specific. I am looking for some good reads for her that would allow her to read first hand that she is not alone. She has been dealing with health issues for the past 3 1/2 years and between just trying to be a teenager (16) and trying to get through school , friends, missing out on alot because of being sick ect. it is starting to take it''s tole. She does see a phsychologist on a regular basis just to help her deal with pain management and to keep track of how she is feeling emmotionally. I know... as her mother .....she will not tell me everything that is on her mind no matter how close we are. Either because she dosen''t want to worry me, or just because she chooses not to...

Recently she is having a more difficult time dealing with the fact that sometimes she just cannot to keep up with her school work, friends leaving her behind when she misses so much school, teachers questioning wether she actually is putting forth every effort, sibling annoyances, boyfriends, ect ect. I remember how difficult just being a teenager was when I was young. Having to deal with being sick on top of it all. It is understandably difficult to say the least. I want to give her every opportunity I can for her to see, read, or hear that she can do this....and she is very brave and stronger than she can ever know...

Sick or not, illness or not, there are many things all teenage girls have in common that they go through that make them sad, confused, scared, anxious ect. I think reading about them and knowing she feels what alot of other girls feel would be highly beneficial for her. Finding the right book that won''t make things even more confusing is what Iam looking for....

Thank you for the suggestions so far. I am off to check them out....

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was wondering if there is a support group of teens that have her illness in your area. Having people to talk to , who are going through what you are going through is a huge source of support I would think. Ask her Doc about this, or her Therapist... Being a teenager is tough, add to that an illness, that's got to be hard. I hope you find the books that will help her. Best of luck!!

lauralu

Brilliant_Rock
what she has is super rare....there are no other kids near us that have this. I have asked her therepist as well as her drs if there is anyone else they are treating that they might pass our name onto to see if they would like to connect. There are none. She has email connections via an online support group.

I just was hoping to find some inspiring books for her to read as well.....

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m sorry to hear that your daughter is battling a rare illness, lauralu. High school can be extremely difficult without any additional things to worry about, so my heart goes out to your baby girl.

I still think the Dr. Pipher books would be good to read. Although they aren''t about your daughter''s specific illness, they are about young girls battling illnesses and how they dealt with them.

Here are some other recommendations. I''d urge you to at least skim any of these books before you give them to your daughter to make sure you''re comfortable with her reading them.

- Autobiography of a Face by Lucy Grealy. This is about a young woman diagnosed with terminal cancer who had surgery which altered the appearance of her face. It is heartbreaking at times to read about the difficulties she faced, especially taunting from her classmates, but it''s a great read.

- Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson. This is about a girl who is raped at a summer party the summer before she begins HS. It isn''t graphic at all, we actually read this book with several freshman classes in my school. It''s a great story about a girl who needs support from her parents and friends but doesn''t know how to ask for it. Anderson has written several other novels, and I always love turning kids on to prolific writers so they have more to choose from once they finish a book.

- Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli is a fun read for teens. It''s about a girl who just doesn''t fit in, but embraces her identity and is loved for it in the end. Spinelli is another writer with several published YA books.

I can''t think of any others at this point, but I''ll post more as I do. Best of luck!

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
"It Happened to Nancy" the real diary of a girl diagnosed with HIV. It''s edited by Beatrice Sparks who has edited multiple anonymous diaries of teenage girls dealing with emotional issues.

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
"It Happened to Nancy" the real diary of a girl diagnosed with HIV. It''s edited by Beatrice Sparks who has edited multiple anonymous diaries of teenage girls dealing with emotional issues.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Hmm, one of my girlfriends read Reviving Ophelia in early HS and was VERY troubled by it (I remember her calling me and sobbing because she saw the stats that 1 in 4 girls would be raped, among other things), so I think it really depends on the maturity of the reader. I read it in college and loved it, mostly for the parts that talk about the relationship women have with their mother.

Queen Bees and Wannabes is also very good - it was the book that prompted Tina Fey to write Mean Girls. I've only skimmed it, and again, it's geared toward mothers of teens rather than teens, but I think the mature teenager could also really enjoy it - if I remember correctly, it's all about fitting in, but also about what prompts young girls to be mean and hurtful. I'm not sure if it would be the right context, but it's worth a look.

lauralu

Brilliant_Rock
thanks for all the suggestions so far everyone. I have to say....I have 3 daughters. So I can use all the advice I can get. I am not one to think I have it all under control Or "we" will keep this in the family because only "we" know how to deal with our kids. I look for outside support because I know I cannot possibly be or know everything to help my girls through life''s ups and downs.

I am also looking for good anger management books for my middle daughter (13). She has alot of stuff going on due to her sister being sick so often. We work through it, but she loves to read so when I can get my hands on something thats really good and sends a message. I get it for her.

It''s not enough to just "be here" for them. Because sometimes being there is not enough.

on the happy side......my 5 year old seems to be cruising right along ........happy, singing, reading, loving life and everyone around her. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh my little reminder that I am doing "something" right...:)

Thanks again everyone...I really thought posting here would be helpful as I know the age range here for women is very spread out so I figured I would have lots of good advice from every angle.

Keep them coming!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results