shape
carat
color
clarity

Ted talk...The Secret to Living Longer May Be Your Social Life

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am off to get ready for bed but just sharing for those of you interested.

The Italian island of Sardinia has more than six times as many centenarians as the mainland and ten times as many as North America. Why? According to psychologist Susan Pinker, it's not a sunny disposition or a low-fat, gluten-free diet that keeps the islanders healthy -- it's their emphasis on close personal relationships and face-to-face interactions. Learn more about super longevity as Pinker explains what it takes to live to 100 and beyond.

https://www.ted.com/talks/susan_pinker_the_secret_to_living_longer_may_be_your_social_life

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well.

That's not good news for me. :D

In all seriousness - I have no interest to live to 100.

(I'm sure I'll have a different outlook when I'm in my 80s.)

But really - what kind of health could you expect to have at 100 for most of us?

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

Well, some of you may be in luck. There is a town in Sardinia that will sell you a house for $1.50. The conditions are that you agree to rehab the home within three years and spend $25,000. This village has lost population and many moved. So the mayor contacted owners who abandoned their homes and asked if they could have them back for this program. It has been done in Italy before, recently. Its a lovely village and I showed it to my son, who declined the work, as am unable to do it. But, for anyone who wants a vacation home abroad they will now have the bonus of long life. Or you all can make it a PS project and grow old together.

Annette

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

Well, some of you may be in luck. There is a town in Sardinia that will sell you a house for $1.50. The conditions are that you agree to rehab the home within three years and spend $25,000. This village has lost population and many moved. So the mayor contacted owners who abandoned their homes and asked if they could have them back for this program. It has been done in Italy before, recently. Its a lovely village and I showed it to my son, who declined the work, as am unable to do it. But, for anyone who wants a vacation home abroad they will now have the bonus of long life. Or you all can make it a PS project and grow old together.

Annette

Send a link????

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Searching for a link to follow up @smitcompton's post I found more info on happiness and Sardinia. This is not new info but has been known for a while. But I find it fascinating nonetheless.

http://www.psypost.org/2014/07/gender-age-place-happiness-sardinian-puts-smile-face-elderly-26459

Residents of the Italian island of Sardinia are known for their longevity. Now, a new study also shows that elderly Sardinians are less depressed and generally are in a better mental frame of mind than peers living elsewhere. The study, led by Maria Chiara Fastame and Maria Pietronilla Penna of the University of Cagliari in Italy and Paul Hitchcott from the Southampton Solent University in UK, is published in Springer’s journal Applied Research in Quality of Life.

Various tests to measure the mental state and capacity of elderly people were performed on 191 cognitively healthy native-born residents between the ages of 60 years and 99 years old. They were recruited from the rural areas of Lombardy in Northern Italy, from the Sardinian city of Sassari and the agro-pastoral villages of Bargagia and Ogliastra on the Mediterranean island. These areas were chosen because of the high prevalence of centenarians who live on the isle. Fastame and colleagues showed in a previous study that residents from Ogliastra enjoy greater levels of psychological well-being than those of Lombardy. Her team now wanted to find out if depression among the elderly was influenced by factors such as gender, marital status, age, lifestyle choices, levels of brain functioning and the environment.

Findings from the latest study highlight the effect that one’s region of residence has on psychological well-being. It was noted that the Sardinian way of life trumps all else, with older Sardinians being less depressed and experiencing higher levels of personal satisfaction and coping strategies than is true for the norm. In contrast, the elderly from Northern Italy struggled with depression.

These findings are ascribed to the fact that elderly people from Sardinia, and especially those from Ogliastra, are physically active until late in life and feel more valued, respected and supported by younger generations. In turn, elderly Sardinians living in Sassari benefit from higher levels of wealth and physical health. They have mental health services nearby, and are involved in ongoing social, recreational and cultural activities.

More symptoms of depression were noted among women than men; and city dwellers reported more symptoms of depression than those from rural areas. Also, very old participants between 75 and 99 years old tended to be more depressed than those between 65 and 74 years old.

The researchers expressed worry about the marked signs of depression noted among residents of Northern Italy. They advise that psychology-based intervention programs be implemented to help strengthen the self-image and self-esteem of the elderly living in these areas, to ultimately improve the quality of their later life and to ward off feelings of depression.

“Positive ageing is more evident in Sardinia, especially in rural areas, where the maintenance of an adequate social status and physical activity help guarantee a positive level of mental health in later life,” conclude Fastame and her colleagues.

IDK if this link has anything for those of you seriously interested in finding property there but here ya go.

http://www.liveinsardinia.com

I sort of doubt if you move there healthy long life will be automatically bestowed upon you. It is the social network and close and even not so close connections that keep you healthier and more active through old age. So while if you move there you would make new friendships you might be giving up close realtiosnhips that you had made throughout your life. However if anyone moves there how about a PS GTG in Sardinia? :cool2:

More fun facts about Sardinia.

8 things you should know before moving to Sardinia, Italy
  • The grass is NOT always greener on the other side. Life has its ups and downs all over the world, and living in Sardinia is not going to take your downs away. Be sure you are making the move for the right reasons. Question everything! Have no fear!
  • Visit the Italian Embassy or Consulate in your home country before setting foot on the plane.
  • For Australian/American and Canadian citizens looking to work in Sardinia, Italy. As a tourist, you are granted a 90-day tourist visa. See this awesome post by my Australian friend who lives in Bagni di Lucca, Italy. She explains it perfectly in her post titled: Getting a visa for a long stay in Italy. This link is directed to Australian citizens, please check with the Italian Embassy or Consulate where you have residency for up-to-date information. Click here for a list of Italian Consulates in Canada. Here for a list of Italian Consulate/Embassy in Australia. If you know the links for the Italian Embassies or Consulates in England or The United States then please leave the link in the comment section below. Thank you!
  • Looking for a job? Good luck, most of the country is out of work and in Sardinia, it’s even worse. The unemployment rate for the fourth quarter of 2008 was 8.6%, by 2012 the unemployment rate increased to 14.6%! The rise in unemployment was due to the global financial crisis that hit Sardinian exports, mainly focused on refined oil, chemical products, and also mining and metallurgical products.
  • Living – Do you want to live in one of the stunning, small and rugged towns or do you prefer larger cities where everything is easily accessible? There will be more opportunities in the larger towns in Sardinia than the rural areas, however, you will need to apply for work while you are still in your home country then have your employer start the paperwork for your work visa. Please check out this super fabulous post by Sara Rosso titled – Help! How Do I Live and Work in Italy? Sara has lived in Italy for like a billion years and she knows what she’s talking about. Be sure to give her a click over at Ms. Adventures in Italy. You won’t be disappointed with what you find over there.
  • What are the best work sectors in Sardinia? Agriculture, fishing, construction, mining and tourism. If you’re experienced and speak Italian and are looking for seasonal work try a basic google search for hotels in Sardinia, find their email and drop them a résumé. Last year, I worked in a 4-star chain of popular hotels as a waitress. The pay was €1500 a month, seven days a week, every day was a split shift and I worked about 10 hours a day.
economic-sectors-sardinia.jpg

Source: Wikipedia

• 2013 is the year where everyone suffers from the worldwide financial crisis and there is no exception for Sardinia. I’ve lived here for 5.5 years and can honestly say that this year will be a hard one. Over the past few years, I’ve watched in angst as the number of tourists dwindled. We are now in our first week of July and when I walk into town it’s empty but for the local shopkeepers. My little town used to fill up with eager tourists lining the streets for local pecornio, gelato or pane, not this year.
  • Speaking Italian. As a tourist, you will be fine journeying through this lovely island, as an expat you will find it difficult to get by on a day-to-day basis without speaking or understanding Italian. English is not spoken nor used in Sardinia. Sure, there are other expats who speak English in Sardinia but the locals … forget it. You’ll be lucky if they even speak Italian! There are over 200 distinctly different dialects spoken in Sardinia and the further away you are from touristy places, you’ll hear less and less Italian. I am greeted daily in the local dialect, my neighbours speak to me in dialect, when I go into town all I hear is dialect. To understand dialect you will need to first understand Italian, and my advice is to take a course before you come or study hard, like I did, on your own.
  • Cost of living. It’s expensive. Very expensive. In the six months, I was in Cayman, the price for a bag of potatoes increased to €o.70! Oh, snap! That’s all sorts of crazy bullshit! Today’s Gas Special is €1,74 a litre. $2.38 CAD a litre. $2.48 AUD a litre, you get the picture, riight? Please check out two posts I wrote last year titled: Cost of Living 2012 | Sardinia, Italy and The Daily Groceries | Sardinia Italy for more detailed day-to-day expenses.
I sincerely hope this post puts some things into perspective for the people searching to move to Sardinia. It’s not easy and it’s not all fun and games. If your dream and desire are big enough to make it come true then do it!

One last point to remember is that only 20 percent of how long we live is dictated by genetics. To reach the upper limits of a lifespan, we need a combination of good genes and a host of lifestyle modifications so it is multifactorial.

Don't worry @CJ2008! I think the above are gross generalizations and as long as one has a close network of even just one person (your dh for example) or two who you know will always be there for you and vice versa that counts a lot.

I have a question. Does randomly chatting with strangers in the grocery store or while running errands count? I just thought I was crazy like my mom by doing that but maybe there was a subconscious reason for my chatting tendencies with strangers while out and about. :cheeky:

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

While I didn't read it here, I'll put this link in. www.dailymail.co.UK/news/article. The New York times also had an article. This is an old village, but for those who may be adventurous, it might be fun. You are on the "Continent". The article I read said Australians had inquired. I believe there was just 200.
If I were able, I would be interested.

You form some new relationships. You go for 3 or 4 months out of the yr and its a nice change. Sip coffee outside with neighbors. I had an Uncle who traveled every other year for six months. He loved Italy and stayed there a good part of his visits. Milano, Milano, he would say.

You keep your old friends and family relationships, but add to them. You know that song we were all taught. Make new friends, but keep the old. If any of you look into it further, please post.

Annette

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results