shape
carat
color
clarity

Techno Marine watch? Any good?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know NOTHING about watches. Well I''ve read a few posts on PS.

Bought my husband a Techno Marine watch. Is it good or OK? Their website gives me NO info.

Searching online gives me copies/replicas so I guess somebody wants to buy these watches.

It''s from the Cruise/Raft collection. What do you guys think??

THANKS

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Errr, if you like the style... then sure. It''s a really trendy watch. You gotta love that style. It''s not going to be a classic that will be approved of at the country club. It''s like if Tag Heuer and Swatch had a baby and it grew up crazy.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Come on Codex don''t hold your feelings in...

In the JLC IWC thread Salmon said that all the innards are really made by 2 companies and are just the same.

With the exception of 4 that make their own innards.

So the Techno Marine is as good as the Seiko or Timex or Modavo or Ebel or Tag?

Basically from what you and Salmon say the innards are the same I must decide if I like the presentation?

I''m looking for something fun and waterproof. Kind of like a Toyota Rav 4. I don''t want it to fall apart the moment I drive it off the lot. But I''m not looking for the mechanics and formality of a JLC.

So with that in mind how did I do?

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I do not agree. Techno marines have been around for a while, at least a few years now, and where I live I see them all the time. Especially in spring and summer, I see them on people and they look great for the look...I love them for a waterproof fun watch that is not a big serious deal...I think they are fine for what they are.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/11/2006 10:06:47 PM
Author: diamondfan
I do not agree. Techno marines have been around for a while, at least a few years now, and where I live I see them all the time. Especially in spring and summer, I see them on people and they look great for the look...I love them for a waterproof fun watch that is not a big serious deal...I think they are fine for what they are.
Ditto.

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/11/2006 10:00:30 PM
Author: Stone Hunter

Basically from what you and Salmon say the innards are the same I must decide if I like the presentation?

I'm looking for something fun and waterproof. Kind of like a Toyota Rav 4. I don't want it to fall apart the moment I drive it off the lot. But I'm not looking for the mechanics and formality of a JLC.

If that's what your goal was, then you did awesome. It will be fun and waterproof. Something that can handle some active playtime. I'm not sure of the exact specs of that watch, but it shouldn't be afraid of any reasonable amount of water (even some diving).

I didn't mean to belittle your choice. It's just that it's kinda rare to pay that much for a "fun and active" watch. If you want to do so, more power to you. After all, it's kinda hard to make a rational argument for spending thousands of dollars on a little piece of shiny carbon.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/12/2006 12:34:03 PM
Author: codex57

Date: 12/11/2006 10:00:30 PM
Author: Stone Hunter

I''m looking for something fun and waterproof. Kind of like a Toyota Rav 4. I don''t want it to fall apart the moment I drive it off the lot. But I''m not looking for the mechanics and formality of a JLC.

If that''s what your goal was, then you did awesome. It will be fun and waterproof. Something that can handle some active playtime. I''m not sure of the exact specs of that watch, but it shouldn''t be afraid of any reasonable amount of water (even some diving).

I didn''t mean to belittle your choice. It''s just that it''s kinda rare to pay that much for a ''fun and active'' watch. If you want to do so, more power to you. After all, it''s kinda hard to make a rational argument for spending thousands of dollars on a little piece of shiny carbon.
You didn''t offend me. You''re into watches and I wanted your opinion. I figured if I put it in car terms it would explain what I really was looking for. It''s good 660 feet under water. So windsurfing, snorkeling, beach stuff with the kids. And no shinny band to attract the sharks.
6.gif

I don''t really think I paid that much. Are you saying a Timex or Swatch would perform as well? Since it''s quartz and the insides are the same?

Next up is a waterproof watch for me and someone suggested an Omega Aqua Seamaster with diamonds. What kind of insides does it have? Oh wait. I have to think about the shark thing.....seriously I live in Florida.

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Car terms? Car terms I''d put it like a Lexus LX470. Serious offroader (cuz it''s just a Landcruiser underneath), but at a price point where it''s kinda hard to imagine someone buying it for actual offroad use. Especially when you can get a Landcruiser for cheaper to do the same thing (or drop all the way down to like a Jeep Wrangler). Course, if you look at the middle east, you''ll see people actually take Range Rovers and other high end SUVs out to the sand dunes and use em.

Swatch isn''t high quality. It''s a division of a parent company that is also called Swatch.

I''m saying it will tell time as well as the far cheaper Timex or Swatch quartz watch. The guts are the same. However, for waterproof and durability performance, the case is what matters. Swatch uses cheap plastic. They''re designed for cheap fashion. Timex is better though. Casio, Seiko, and Citizen are more known for "diver" watches tho. Not too expensive and usually with a rubber exterior in case you bang it against a reef or something.

Compared to those, you paid a lot. But, you got fashion to go with it. You can pay even more, tho, for something like the Omega Seamaster. I was just kinda shocked cuz you asked about the watch for it''s actual advertised properties. It''s kinda like hearing someone at a Range Rover dealership seriously asking about its off road capabilities (and not just to try out the dealership''s test track).

It''s kinda cool to meet someone like you. Makes me more curious to see pix of you on vacation in action with the watch on. Should send the pix to Technomarine and see if they''ll publish them in an ad or on their website or something.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks. I am kinda different than most non PS people. I like what I like and usually for a specific reason. The watch is a surprise for my DH. I hope he likes it! I''ll make sure he wears it on our beach vacation in 2007.

Good to know I got a Lexus. So the insides are the same but the durability of the case is really high.

Oh about price I''m almost afraid to post this but I got it on clearance at TJMax. 50% off the retail TM lists on their web site. You bet I''m going to start checking out their jewelry clearance stuff more often!
9.gif

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
I'm of the opinion that I can't see any reason why you shouldn't brag about getting a good deal. Some cultures brag about how much they pay. Mine, I suppose, takes pride in how much you save.

So, if you saved 50% - GOOD FOR YOU!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results