shape
carat
color
clarity

Teal Sapphire for E-Ring?

peakysapphire

Rough_Rock
I don't know much about gemstones so please forgive me, what I've learned is mostly from here.

I'm searching for a blue/green sapphire for my e-ring and originally wanted a Montana sapphire but have heard that:
  1. They can be gray in some lighting and
  2. Their price has gone way up in recent years
I'm thinking I want a pear-shaped sapphire and definitely want one that is a brilliant teal (mostly blue, slightly green) with great clarity. Budget for the stone is $6k and I want something 2.5+ carats (the one I picked out in the jewelry store was over 4 carats). Anybody have suggestions for where to look/people to work with or just advice in general?

Thanks so much!

Reactions: AV_

AV_

Ideal_Rock
One possibility - www assuming the price is not firm.

One deep - www

There must be more...

Perhaps ? WWW or WWW

Last edited:

suzanne2

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
When I hear teal sapphire, I think Bayoto. He has lots. https://www.instagram.com/bayoto/?hl=en. I've never bought from him but plenty of PS'ers have, and his reputation is good. As for Montana sapphires, yes, they will have an occasional gray tinge and yes, the price's have been artificially pushed up.
Your budget is healthy so maybe ask Bayoto to cut you a pear?
Also, Australian sapphires come in teal colors. I'll keep looking.

pwsg07

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
For you budget, you should have no difficulty getting a teal sapphire. But I have never seen a photo of teal sapphire without grey or dark tone. I suggest you show a sample photo of your ideal teal colour to help other Psers to search one for you.

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on your upcoming engagement!

You might search old threads here for ideas. One vendor who carries Montana sapphires is Earth’s Treasury. You can search his site by color. Have fun looking!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It will be very pretty; definitely check out Montana sapphires. Can't wait to see what you get.

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Here is one that says it is blue with a touch of teal.
https://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/gemstones/?sku=G89990
I am seeing mostly blue in the photo, but I would guess a requested video from the vendor would show the blue green / teal. I do like the Montana you linked, but it’s price seems on the high side in my opinion.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another recommendation for Doug from Bespoke Gems or any other Aussie sapphires - quite a few nice teal ones if you hunt about.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My teal sapphire is from
www.mastercutgems.com

They usually have a variety of sapphires and are able to find unusual colors. My teal sapphire is very moody showing many different colors depending on the lighting and weather. Today I was sitting outside and I was asked if it was an Aquamarine.

Filtered bright sunlight.jpg Sapphire filtered sun no flash.jpg

peakysapphire

Rough_Rock
Has anybody worked with Caleb B. Quashen (@calebbquashen) before? I found him on Insta and his sapphires look gorgeous but I'm no expert. Thoughts on their cut and overall stone quality?

peakysapphire

Rough_Rock
Also, I asked him about his return policy and if the stones are GIA certified, his response:

"We deal direct with mine to market so we don't usually bother with certifications. They are costly, subjective, not usually relevant and take weeks to be completed. If we certify a stone we have to add a significant chunk to the price for the aforementioned reasons. 7 day returns minus $100 restocking fee, 7 day free exchanges unless otherwise stated."

Is this a typical return policy? Should I be concerned that the gems aren't certified? Sorry for all the questions!

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
His stones look beautiful and it looks like he has quite a few that are the color you are looking for.
If you are spending your budget of $6k on a sapphire, please get a GIA or AGL report. In his quote it says “we usually don’t bother with certifications”, but that doesn’t mean he won’t. AGL charges $70 for a GemBrief + shipping back and forth and it takes a few weeks to process the stone. The school of thought I have learned here is to get a report for stones over $1,000., especially when dealing with sapphire, ruby and emerald. Many sellers won’t offer a report but will extend the return period for you to get one yourself and will then offer a refund if it comes back as anything other than what they sold you. I would let him know you would be spending a substantial chunk of money and see if he offers either of those options.

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
A stone cert/report is neither costly nor subjective. An ID report from GIA is $70-$120 and identifies the stone and detectable treatment. They're a two hour drive from him, so mailing it is quick. How are his prices?

peakysapphire

Rough_Rock
I think some prices are on his Instagram but not sure how much the stone I was looking at in particular was because it was already sold when I inquired.

I responded to him saying that with the amount I'm looking to spend on the stone I would like a GIA report and that at $70-120 I don't think it's too expensive. I asked if he would be willing to extend the return period and offer a full refund if it comes back other than stated.

His response has me a bit worried ... "What is your budget? What is your concern about a stone? All of our stones are guaranteed as stated."

I worry if I disclose my budget he may inflate stone prices knowing how much I have to spend.
Also, why is he pushing back on certification? If the GIA verifies what he stated then he has absolutely nothing to lose ...

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Well, that's a lame response. What I found annoying about is Insta is the 25% off sale he had. Off what? You don't know what the original prices are to know what the deal really is. Anyhow, I wouldn't engage him too much, since he seems a bit defensive.

I bought two stones from Bayoto, and he was so easy to work with, friendly, and they arrived very quickly! I'm currently having one of the stones set. Look through his photos and ask if certain stones are still available, or if he has anything similar, and the price. I never told him my budget, just said the size I wanted and color. He's also happy to share videos and he'll tell you if the picture is lighter/darker than the stone.

You can always ask Gary at Finewater if he has any teals besides this one: https://www.finewatergems.com/store/p350/11.54_ct_Unheated_Teal_Blue_Sapphire.html

Have fun with this hunt!

suzanne2

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think some prices are on his Instagram but not sure how much the stone I was looking at in particular was because it was already sold when I inquired.

I responded to him saying that with the amount I'm looking to spend on the stone I would like a GIA report and that at $70-120 I don't think it's too expensive. I asked if he would be willing to extend the return period and offer a full refund if it comes back other than stated.

His response has me a bit worried ... "What is your budget? What is your concern about a stone? All of our stones are guaranteed as stated."

I worry if I disclose my budget he may inflate stone prices knowing how much I have to spend.
Also, why is he pushing back on certification? If the GIA verifies what he stated then he has absolutely nothing to lose ...

Please don't fixate on one vendor. There are lots and lots of stones out there, and his responses are not quite up to pricescope quality. A certification is easy, especially for the money you are willing to spend.

peakysapphire

Rough_Rock
I did respond and say I was looking to spend a decent amount on a stone that size (since I wasn't comfortable saying price yet) and that if I'm spending over $1k I want a GIA report. Also mentioned that I'd like to do business with them (I've read interviews with him and love the stones he gets) but will only do so on the basis that the GIA report backs up their guarantee.

He responded by saying they have no qualms with that and don't have the reputation and following they have by doing faulty business. They want to know my budget and see some examples of what I like.

You're right though @suzanne2, I don't want to be fixated on one vendor. I love his stones but don't want to feel obligated to buy from him. Should I clarify that with him or just see what he gets in and keep looking at other places as well?

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Just see what he gets. I think it’s okay to pay for the report yourself as long as his return policy is favorable. Take your time looking because you’ll be glad you did. There are so many pretty stones out there.

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Just curious as to why you are fixated on this vendor. There are so many awesome ones out there who do not get defensive over a report. His photos are gorgeous, but they're just photos. Some of the cutting doesn't look that great. You need different angles and a video. Shop around and look at the vendors we've mentioned. Some have gorgeous stones, but their presentation is minimal. You're buying a stone, not a photo.

peakysapphire

Rough_Rock
@MrsKMB I'm not even close to an expert on knowing what a good cut is. That's why asked for opinions about the quality of his stones and cuts. I'm definitely not fixated on him and am open to other options, but I liked what I saw and want to get a stone soon so I reached out.

I've looked at a LOT of vendors, so please don't think I've skipped over suggestions just to obsess over this one.

I like Bayoto's stones as well but I don't really want to commission him to cut a stone for me if I'm not 100% positive that I'll like it when I see it in person. Are his stones GIA certified? What's his return policy? Is shipping a ton of money since he is overseas? If you could tell me more about his policies that would be great.

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If you can't get a teal pear-shaped (which I am having trouble finding in a good cut), what is your second choice?

Bayoto has cut stones and he'll ship upon payment, so he's fast. You have to get your own cert, but that seems to be the norm with these small, independent sellers.

But let's back-up for a minute. Do you have any inspiration photos of finished rings? Is there a mm size you'd like? Photos of the color, since teal can vary?

peakysapphire

Rough_Rock
I've been looking a lot at Earth's Treasury and I keep going back to this stone. The color is pretty much exactly what I'm looking for, but I feel like it's a little bit on the expensive side for what it is ...

I don't have inspiration photos of finished rings. But I'm thinking a white gold band with small diamonds. Nothing over the top. I was thinking 8-10mm.

suzanne2

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You're right though @suzanne2, I don't want to be fixated on one vendor. I love his stones but don't want to feel obligated to buy from him. Should I clarify that with him or just see what he gets in and keep looking at other places as well

You don't have to clarify anything. You are the consumer and you have the reins. If you want a certificate with your stone then don't feel obliged to accept anything less. As for telling him you are shopping around, that isn't necessary. Of course you are shopping around!
Another point to consider (and I'm sure everyone here is tired of me saying it) is that you have plenty of time. There isn't any rush. Don't hurry. This is an important purchase and it's best done calmly and with forethought. So far, you are doing a great job!

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I've been looking a lot at Earth's Treasury and I keep going back to this stone. The color is pretty much exactly what I'm looking for, but I feel like it's a little bit on the expensive side for what it is ...

I don't have inspiration photos of finished rings. But I'm thinking a white gold band with small diamonds. Nothing over the top. I was thinking 8-10mm.
That sapphire is such a gorgeous color! I see why you want it!!!! The ones I saw were so dark and dreary. If I see one elsewhere, I'll let you know. In the meantime, email some of the sellers we mentioned and ask what they have. They do not mind and are happy to help! And don't feel pressured by anyone. You are in control of this, and you'll find your stone.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ahhh now I’ve looked at the Earth’s Treasury one it’s really way more blue than teal! Almost no green at all. This helps us a lot to narrow down suggestions. :wavey: I echo the others - take your time & look at as many stones as possible before parting with your cash...

peakysapphire

Rough_Rock
Does anybody have an opinion on the price vs. quality of stones on Earth's Treasury? I truly do love the colors but the prices seem a bit high. I'd love to hear thoughts from others.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results