shape
carat
color
clarity

Teach me how to make Scones!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
Hey Ladies!

I had a high tea date with my husband (to celebrate my winning presentation) at 4 seasons hotel yesterday. The date was romantic, but what impressed me most was their delicious scones!

I would like to learn baking them myself, and was wondering if you could teach me your secret recipe?

Thanks!
Zhuzhu

Lulie

Shiny_Rock
Here's my dad's not so secret recipe
31.gif

2 C all purpose flour
1/3 C sugar
1 ts baking powder
1/4 ts baking soda
1/2 ts salt
1/2 stick unsalted butter, diced and frozen
1/2 C raisins or any dried fruit
1/2 C sour cream or buttermilk
1 large egg

Preheat oven to 400^
In a small bowl whisk sour cream [or buttermilk] with the egg, set aside.
In the food processor [or a bowl if not avail] mix flour, sugar, baking powder, soda and salt, zap a couple times to blend, add the frozen cubes of butter and zap 5-6 times to resemble coarse meal, add the egg mixture and pulse 3 times just to blend 'do not mix' just blend, to avoid tough scones, empty out onto a floured board [dough will be sticky in places, may not seem to be enough liquid] sprinkle the dried fruit, as you press gently it will come together.
Pat into a 7" circle about 3/4" thick , cut into triangles, place on a cookie sheet about 1" apart, place in the middle of the oven rack & bake until golden about 15-16 minutes, cool for 5 minutes and serve warm or at room temp.
This is a base recipe, you may try:

*Brush the tops w/buttermilk or milk or eggwash and sprinkle a generous amount of coarse sugar before baking.

*Add 1/4 ts grated orange zest to the dry ingredients and substitute cranberries/cranraisins for the raisins
18.gif

*Add 1/2 ts almond or vanilla extract to the egg mixture my kids love dried cherries instead of raisins for this one.

*Add 1/4 ts grated lemon zest to the dry ingredients and substituting dried blueberries for the raisins.

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Lulie!
I will let you know how my first try turns out! :)
Just curious, is there a difference in taste between using sour cream vs. buttermilk?

Lulie

Shiny_Rock
Not much really, for some reason we always have low fat sour cream vs buttermilk, you could use reg milk w/lemon to produce buttermilk....but I''m always busy lol
I posted: sprinkle the dried fruit over the dough bc many people still zap for a ''longer'' period of time the pulse function, ending w/tough dough. If you are familiar w/yours, add the dried fruit and pulse twice =-)
My kids still like 1 ts of vanilla into the egg mixture and only 1/4 C of sugar, baked plain, the butter taste really comes through, sometimes they add chocolate chips. Good Luck.
41.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
I am so glad you posted this thread, Zhuzhu! I LOVE scones. Like, I envy the British with their High Tea and scones and everything jealous.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
And congrats on your presentation!

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
lulie--mmm, i am going to try that recipe

Zhuzuh--I don''t have a super-fantastic recipe, but i know that when i do make them the *key* to a fluffy scone is to use very cold butter and do NOT over mix!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I added my recipe, but the computer ate it. At any rate, it is similar to the one posted but without the extra fat--buttermilk or sour cream. Mine uses 1/3 c + 1 Tblsp of milk.

I find the trick to makeng fluffy scones is not to over work the dough. Tough scones often are a result from over kneeding. Once the liquid had added to the dry/butter mixture, I stir it with a fork to incorporate, then use my hands for a final softening of the dough--and to lay it our for rolling. The less handling the better.

Also, I tend to cut my pieces out at least 1/2 inch thick--rolling them too thin results in flat scones. I always get huge fluffy scones!

cheers--Sharon

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Because I too love scones, but all the mixing is not up my alley, I have found these wonderful mixes!! Alll you do is add water. If they're not available at your grocery store you can order them online, which is what I do. Apparently Oklahoma is not well versed on the deliciousness of scones!
emcrook.gif

http://www.stickyfingersbakeries.com/specialty_food_scones.asp

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
Upgradable,
I must say mixing powder with water sounds very tempting for a baking newbie like me.
Does it taste as good as bakery-made scones?
Which flavor do you like the most?
Thanks!
z

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
They are deelish!!! You just mix 3/4 cup water with the mix, then I drop big spoonfuls on the cookie sheet, and they''re done in about 18 min. They are best when still warm!!!! YUM, my mouth is watering because I''m on a restricted carb diet and these babies are strictly a no-no for the next couple of months!!

I love the raspberry and lemon poppyseed. Blueberry are my daughter''s favorite. You can also make a partial batch by just pouring a small amount of the mix into the bowl and adding just enough water to make it a dough. It should be very sticky looking. The outside gets small crunchy bits, and the inside is heaven!!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/9/2009 11:58:00 AM
Author: Upgradable
Because I too love scones, but all the mixing is not up my alley, I have found these wonderful mixes!! Alll you do is add water. If they''re not available at your grocery store you can order them online, which is what I do. Apparently Oklahoma is not well versed on the deliciousness of scones!
emcrook.gif

http://www.stickyfingersbakeries.com/specialty_food_scones.asp
HI:

Are these mixes prepared with hydrogenated fats? That would be a deal breaker for me.

Make them from scratch--they are easy and delish!

cheers--Sharon

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
This is what is says in FAQ:

Do Sticky Fingers Bakeries'' products contain dairy?
All curds are made with butter. All mixes, except Soda Bread, contain dried buttermilk.

MishB

Brilliant_Rock
Easy, easy, easy.

I''ve posted my recipe before, I will again now with disclaimer I''m in Australia, so not sure about some of the conversions.

In a bowl - 2 cups self raising flour (flour with raising agent added), I don''t even sift it, just dump it in, with a pinch of salt. Rub in about 2 tablespoons of butter or margarine. Make a well in the centre and add a cup of whole milk (don''t use low or no fat milk, they won''t rise) or buttermilk if you like, but I don''t think it makes much difference. Mix it roughly with a knife and turn it out onto a floured surface, it should be a sticky dough. Pat it out with your hands until it''s about an inch thick and cut into circles with a sharp scone cutter. Don''t handle it too much. Put the rounds onto a greased flat tray and bake for about 12-13 minutes at 220 deg celsius fan forced. Wrap them in a tea towel if you want them to stay soft or cool uncovered if you like them a little crisper on the outside.

Serve with jam, fresh whipped cream and strawberries

strawscone.jpg

MishB

Brilliant_Rock
Or homemade passionfruit butter

passscone.jpg

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ack! Those strawberry and cream scones look delicious!!!
30.gif
Must have!

I''m going to get my DH to bake a scone when he gets home. If I can persuade him!
11.gif
He has an old family recipe (his ancestors were bakers from England), that makes a large round (11"?) single scone that you cut into pieces like a big pie. There are 2 renditions, one with raisins, one a savoury version with cheddar cheese. Both are wonderful as breakfast. Very filling. sigh....

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
I want to thank all of your for sharing your recipe!

I "cheated" the baking part last night and bought the sticky fingers powder mix. It turned out WONDERFUL!!! Last night I baked the mint chocolate one, both DH and I were impressed how nicely it turned out! I will try the other flavor before adventuring into making them from scratch......

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
35.gif
36.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the recipe Lulie! I just tried it - but haven''t tried the scones yet (they''re right out of the oven). I did it without the raisins, but kept to the recipe otherwise, using buttermilk. It smells yummy!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
lulie I just baked those scones-they''re amazing!! Thanks for the recipe!

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Since scones are one of my favorite things ever, I wanted to share my top two recipes. I like to eat these with homemade whipped cream (can''t find clotted cream in the states
39.gif
) and maybe some raspberry jam. Yum.

The first is my favorite recipe and uses sour cream which I don''t always have around. The second is from Nigella''s cookbook and is almost as good, but doesn''t require a special trip to the grocery store for sour cream. Both recipes have the same basic instructions, just the ingredient list is different. I prefer to make them with mini chocolate chips, but they''re also good with currants. Or cranberries with a little orange zest!

First Recipe:
2c flour
1/2c raisins, currants, choc chips, cranberries, or whatever (optional)
2Tbsp sugar
3tsp baking powder
1tsp salt
1/4tsp baking soda
1/2c sour cream
1/4c oil
3Tbsp milk
1 egg, slightly beaten

Second Recipe:
3 1/3c flour
1tsp salt
2tsp baking soda
1Tbsp sugar (this is not in the original recipe, you can leave it out if you want)
4 1/2tsp cream of tartar
1/4c cold butter, diced
2Tbsp shortening
1 1/3c milk
1/2c raisins, currants, choc chips, cranberries, etc (optional)

Same instructions for both recipes:
Mix dry ingredients (for the second recipe, work the butter and shortening into the dry ingredients like you would for a pie crust), then add wets. Mix just until combined, roll out (~1" thick) and cut with round biscuit cutter (or roll into 3 circles and cut into wedges). Brush with milk and sprinkle with sugar. Bake at 425 degrees for 10-12min.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Made some this morning--used heart shaped cookie cutters! Nice clotted cream and preserves.....mmmmm.....

cheers--Sharon

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/14/2009 3:43:04 PM
Author: canuk-gal
HI:

Made some this morning--used heart shaped cookie cutters! Nice clotted cream and preserves.....mmmmm.....

cheers--Sharon
Sharon

Do you mind sharing which recipe you used? Did you make any adjustments for altitude baking? And where on earth did you find the clotted cream? We''re a long way from Devon!!

Gailey

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/15/2009 5:54:12 PM
Author: Gailey

HI:

cheers--Sharon
Sharon

Do you mind sharing which recipe you used? Did you make any adjustments for altitude baking? And where on earth did you find the clotted cream? We''re a long way from Devon!!

Gailey
OK, scratch the first question - that will teach me to read from the top down and not the bottom up! Still like to know about the cream though!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/15/2009 5:57:06 PM

HI:

cheers--Sharon
Sharon

Do you mind sharing which recipe you used? Did you make any adjustments for altitude baking? And where on earth did you find the clotted cream? We're a long way from Devon!!

Gailey
OK, scratch the first question - that will teach me to read from the top down and not the bottom up! Still like to know about the cream though!
HI:

Thank goodness for Importers! You can buy the double cream (Devon) from Sunterra Market (Calgary) and I have seen it elsewhere. Very rich!

I added my baking tips earlier--no over mixing and roll your dough relatively thick. Also I get different result depending on the cookie sheet I use--I like my old pizza pan so the bottoms of the scones don;t burn. The super tihin cookie sheets tend to have a different result. I think about altitude sometimes when baking, but these have baking powder in them so......

Here is my recipe. Well it isn't mine but from my Mom's 1963 Sunbean (Mixer) cookbook.....

2 cups AP flour
1/2 c. cold buttter (one stick)
1/4 cup sugar
3 tsp. baking powder
dash or two of salt
1/3 cup + 1 Tblsp. milk
one egg, well beaten.
1 tsp vanilla

Cut cold butter in with dry ingredients until mealy. In seperate bowl, mix together wet ingredients, then add them into dry. Stir with fork unitl amalgamated, then form into ball of soft dough with hands. Do not over handle. Roll out into whatever shape desired. Bake at 450F for pp. 18 minutes or until tops are light golden brown.

cheers--Sharon

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/15/2009 9:01:05 PM

HI:

cheers--Sharon
Sharon

Gailey
HI:

Thank goodness for Importers! You can buy the double cream (Devon) from Sunterra Market (Calgary) and I have seen it elsewhere. Very rich!

I added my baking tips earlier--no over mixing and roll your dough relatively thick. Also I get different result depending on the cookie sheet I use--I like my old pizza pan so the bottoms of the scones don;t burn. The super tihin cookie sheets tend to have a different result. I think about altitude sometimes when baking, but these have baking powder in them so......

Here is my recipe. Well it isn''t mine but from my Mom''s 1963 Sunbean (Mixer) cookbook.....

2 cups AP flour
1/4 cup sugar
3 tsp. baking powder
dash or two of salt
1/3 cup + 1 Tblsp. milk
one egg, well beaten.
1 tsp vanilla

Cut cold butter in with dry ingredients until mealy. In seperate bowl, mix together wet ingredients, then add them into dry. Stir with fork unitl amalgamated, then form into ball of soft dough with hands. Do not over handle. Roll out into whatever shape desired. Bake at 450F for pp. 18 minutes or until tops are light golden brown.

cheers--Sharon
Thanks Sharon

I wondered if you were going to say Sunterra. The cream you are talking about comes in a glass jar with a screw top lid - right? I''ve tried it, but wasn''t that keen on it. Something in the back of my mind tells me I have seen something about making clotted cream - I''ll research. There is a vendor at the Farmer''s Market (Garrison Woods) that sells heavy cream which has a higher butterfat content than most other cream you can buy here, which whips up nicely. Can''t remember their name, but they are in the back left hand corner of the building - it makes great Irish Coffee too.

Thanks for your scone recipe, I''ll try that too.

It''s embarassing, my husband likes to throw a St. George''s (Patron saint of England) day party every April. I tried making scones once, they were more suited to croquet than eating with jam and cream!

I have recently heard about a book called Pie In The Sky about altitude baking. I don''t have it yet so can''t comment, but it looks interesting.

Gailey

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/16/2009 12:30:50 PM

Date: 2/15/2009 9:01:05 PM

HI:

cheers--Sharon
Sharon

Gailey
HI:

Here is my recipe. Well it isn''t mine but from my Mom''s 1963 Sunbean (Mixer) cookbook.....

2 cups AP flour
1/4 cup sugar
3 tsp. baking powder
dash or two of salt
1/3 cup + 1 Tblsp. milk
one egg, well beaten.
1 tsp vanilla

cheers--Sharon
Thanks Sharon

I wondered if you were going to say Sunterra. The cream you are talking about comes in a glass jar with a screw top lid - right? I''ve tried it, but wasn''t that keen on it. Something in the back of my mind tells me I have seen something about making clotted cream - I''ll research. There is a vendor at the Farmer''s Market (Garrison Woods) that sells heavy cream which has a higher butterfat content than most other cream you can buy here, which whips up nicely. Can''t remember their name, but they are in the back left hand corner of the building - it makes great Irish Coffee too.

Thanks for your scone recipe, I''ll try that too.

It''s embarassing, my husband likes to throw a St. George''s (Patron saint of England) day party every April. I tried making scones once, they were more suited to croquet than eating with jam and cream!

I have recently heard about a book called Pie In The Sky about altitude baking. I don''t have it yet so can''t comment, but it looks interesting.

Gailey
HI:

I know I have bought some other brands elsewhere--I am always on the search....maybe Planet Organic? Lina''s? Can''t think... I''ll try the Farmers Market vendor you suggest...I was just there last weekend spending my son''s inheritence at the Ladybug bakery.....

Yanno we probably pass each other in the aisles......
1.gif

cheers--Sharon

Gailey

Ideal_Rock

cheers--Sharon

I''ll keep my eyes out for that blinding flash of light that must eminate from one of your hands!

I''m reasonably close to Planet Organic, I''ll check for cream. Don''t know Lina''s

Is Ladybug bakery the vendor that sells all those wonderful cakes and individual deserts? Always managed to resist, but I make a point of not shopping there (or anywhere else where sinful temptation lurks) after lunch time.

Now, Manuell Latruwe that''s a whole other level of temptation .......

Lulie

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/14/2009 1:14:22 PM
Author: bee*
lulie I just baked those scones-they're amazing!! Thanks for the recipe!
You're wlecome hon, you ladies really made my day!!!
Thanks for posting those wonderful recipes [and pictures]
36.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/16/2009 5:27:37 PM

cheers--Sharon

I''ll keep my eyes out for that blinding flash of light that must eminate from one of your hands!

I''m reasonably close to Planet Organic, I''ll check for cream. Don''t know Lina''s

Is Ladybug bakery the vendor that sells all those wonderful cakes and individual deserts? Always managed to resist, but I make a point of not shopping there (or anywhere else where sinful temptation lurks) after lunch time.

Now, Manuell Latruwe that''s a whole other level of temptation .......
HI:

I went to Ladybug b/c I was craving brioche on Sunday and Manuell was closed
18.gif
...too bad I missed the brioche there as well, but her "Alberta" danishes are devine--along with everything else...now if she would only sell me some (frozen) homemade puff pastry so I don''t have to slave over it myself.... BTW, Lina''s is the Italian Market on Center Street.........

Sorry to hijack the scone thread!

cheers--Sharon
cheers--Sharon

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results