shape
carat
color
clarity

Tarnished gold?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

oceanlove

Rough_Rock
Hello! I didn''t really know where to post this, so sorry if there was a better place to put it, but here''s my problem. I recently was given a topaz ring with a 14k white gold setting (I can see the little stamp on the inside of the band). After wearing it for only a couple days, anywhere it touched my skin--mostly on the outside of the band where it rubs against my other fingers--became very tarnished. I tried using my gold polishing cloth to clean it up a bit, and it did help but I couldn''t get it totally clean. And as soon as I start wearing it again, it becomes tarnished again pretty quickly.

Could this be some weird reaction with my skin? Maybe something it''s alloyed with? I wear white gold quite frequently and have never had a problem. However, I do have a SILVER band from Tiffany that became very tarnished and stained my skin the first few times I wore it, but after constant cleaning and several weeks of wear it stopped tarnishing/staining my skin.
33.gif
Oh, also, the white gold one doesn''t stain my skin, just tarnishes.

Any advice/similar experiences/possible answers are greatly appreciated!
1.gif
I love this ring and wish I could keep it nice and shiny.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Looks like the alloy mix disagrees with your chemical make up...also could be temporary depending on what your eating or drinking the last few days...Acidic drinks like coffee and orange juice or lemonaid or food like Tomato based italian or limes,lemons,oranges...also certain medications will create this problem(also pregnancy)Some make up and lotions having high zinc oxcide content will react with metals and discolor skin...have the ring cleaned or even rhodiumed ...could help the problem.

oceanlove

Rough_Rock
Hmm interesting. I also just found out my grandmother sometimes reacts the same way with gold, so I think you may be right about the alloy disagreeing with me. I''m going to take it to be cleaned and see how that goes, then go from there. Thanks for the reply!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results