shape
carat
color
clarity

Talk to me about old home maintenance!

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Long story short, my husband and I are going to be relocating to the northeast in the US. We currently live in the south- Florida. I have always wanted a very old home and it looks like I may have the option to get it now. We are looking at townhouses that are very traditional in walkable historic neighborhoods and they are built between 1800 and 1900 for the most part. We have owned multiple homes, but never anything that old. We are from an area where it's all subdivisions and things generally are not older than 40 years.

Any particular advice or words of wisdom for properties that are much older? I will of course get the lists of when they've upgraded all of the major systems like heating, electric, roofing, windows, and the like, but looking for some guidance about what we may not know to think about.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Check for proof of asbestos removal, if the have no proof of professional removal assume there is some.
Check for permits and inspections for major updates as required in that area.
If electrical updates were done without a permit, assume its unsafe and will cost a ton of money.
If major structure changes were made such as adding a room or removing walls and there was no permit then run fast.

Mold, old house as first made were leaky but dried out quickly from air flow. Sealing them without proper vapor control can cause huge mold problems.

Fireplaces, unless shown evidence of proper liners being installed assume they are death traps and $$$.
Even with the proof have them inspected and cleaned before using.

Basements, check for signs of water intrusion and decay look very closely because people try and cover it up.

Neighbors can make a huge difference and bad neighbors can make your life heck with shared or close walls.

End units with just one shared wall are nicer to have.

If you have kids who are loud and slam doors at all hours you might be the bad neighbor.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lead paint is rampant in old houses up here. Our neighbor‘s house is very old and they found out they had lead paint throughout the house. Something to be aware of, there is a disclosure form that sellers provide when buying a house but they may not be aware of it themselves.

If you end up not getting a townhouse but buying a single family, you will need to be aware of underground oil tanks, you don’t want one, someone around the corner from us had one that started leaking and had to be removed. It was a huge mess and expense. Most insurance companies won’t cover a house with one so just make sure to verify.

Last edited:

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Lead paint is rampant in old houses up here. Our neighbor‘s house is very old and they found out they had lead paint throughout the house. Something to be aware of, there is a disclosure form that seller’s provide when buying a house but they may not be aware of it themselves.

If you end up not getting a townhouse but buying a single family, you will need to be aware of underground oil tanks, you don’t want one, someone around the corner from us had one that started leaking and had to be removed. It was a huge mess and expense. Most insurance companies won’t cover a house with one so just make sure to verify.

Thanks! I wouldn't have thought of underground oil tanks. We have underground natural gas tanks here, but they are all newer.

Good point on the lead paint as well.

We are looking at both single family and townhouse style, but really wanted to avoid homes in subdivisions that are new(er), where we have to drive to everything, like we have now. We'd like to be able to walk to things easily and have something with some character.

We are also being very honest with ourselves, and admitting that we really do not want to cut acres of lawn, do not want to shovel long driveways with snow, and generally do not want the maintenance on a lot of the size of the lots that most of the single family homes have in the area we are looking.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Check for proof of asbestos removal, if the have no proof of professional removal assume there is some.
Check for permits and inspections for major updates as required in that area.
If electrical updates were done without a permit, assume its unsafe and will cost a ton of money.
If major structure changes were made such as adding a room or removing walls and there was no permit then run fast.

Mold, old house as first made were leaky but dried out quickly from air flow. Sealing them without proper vapor control can cause huge mold problems.

Fireplaces, unless shown evidence of proper liners being installed assume they are death traps and $$$.
Even with the proof have them inspected and cleaned before using.

Basements, check for signs of water intrusion and decay look very closely because people try and cover it up.

Neighbors can make a huge difference and bad neighbors can make your life heck with shared or close walls.

End units with just one shared wall are nicer to have.

If you have kids who are loud and slam doors at all hours you might be the bad neighbor.

Very helpful. Thank you! The units that we are looking at have multiple fireplaces, so we will have to have that checked. I think that both of the units we like best have not had any major structural changes, but we will make sure we get the permit history on them. The basement thing does concern me, because I know that that can be a lot of money to fix if there has been a mold problem or leaking. It will just be us, and the unit we like best has one shared wall with an art gallery. So, hopefully quiet neighbor? Asbestos is a concern. I have seen a few single family homes that still appear to have asbestos tiles!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Was just coming back to add lead paint.

A quick flip is a bad sign, look at the sale history if someone bought it a few months ago and now selling it fixed up be double cautious on permits. If there is not a bunch of permits in that time assume the worst.

molecule

Brilliant_Rock
Very helpful. Thank you! The units that we are looking at have multiple fireplaces, so we will have to have that checked. I think that both of the units we like best have not had any major structural changes, but we will make sure we get the permit history on them. The basement thing does concern me, because I know that that can be a lot of money to fix if there has been a mold problem or leaking. It will just be us, and the unit we like best has one shared wall with an art gallery. So, hopefully quiet neighbor? Asbestos is a concern. I have seen a few single family homes that still appear to have asbestos tiles!

Ask about gallery openings (hours, frequency, noise levels). I would ask too if there are any HOA or community fees, some of the prices of condo upkeep have surprised me.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Was just coming back to add lead paint.

A quick flip is a bad sign, look at the sale history if someone bought it a few months ago and now selling it fixed up be double cautious on permits. If there is not a bunch of permits in that time assume the worst.

The flipping is definitely an issue. I'm always wary of those- no matter the type of property!

Luckily both of the ones we like a lot have been owned for a good time. One has been owned for approx 15 years by the same person and the other has been known for 25 years by the same.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
my house was built in 1913 and my advice is be prepared for anything...we have lead paint, asbestos floors and absolutely nothing works as it should for example our front door has to be solid wood because the opening was cut wonky so we have to "customize" EVERYTHING!!! my floors tilt down hill in some rooms....so my advice is if you have the money (we didn't and still don't) have a contractor that is experienced in old houses come in and fix stuff...oh yeah you really don't want me get started on our plumbing like the time the peas we put in the garbage disposal come out into the bathtub right after we moved in lol....just be prepared for anything and everything because you never know what exciting thing will break, I cant wait to unload this money pit once I finally retire....

Last edited:

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Long story short, my husband and I are going to be relocating to the northeast in the US. We currently live in the south- Florida. I have always wanted a very old home and it looks like I may have the option to get it now. We are looking at townhouses that are very traditional in walkable historic neighborhoods and they are built between 1800 and 1900 for the most part. We have owned multiple homes, but never anything that old. We are from an area where it's all subdivisions and things generally are not older than 40 years.

Any particular advice or words of wisdom for properties that are much older? I will of course get the lists of when they've upgraded all of the major systems like heating, electric, roofing, windows, and the like, but looking for some guidance about what we may not know to think about.
Ooh, exciting! Say goodbye to squared anything.
Better to buy a house someone else has already cried over and updated.

Yes, as an owner of an almost 200 yr old house- it will be a little more cost wise than you think, always. The Northeast is just more expensive to live in- so work will always be on the high end of estimated cost.
I love an old house more than anything and wouldn't choose anything else. Check foundational structure, make sure floor joists meet the sills. Look for cracking in wood joists along the ceiling. How do those sills look? Look for chunking out of old joists, etc. Knock them, check for sponging from water and dry rot crumbling/powdering.

Older wood is denser and though not pretty- there's nothing more solid. Older houses in good repair beat new construction. If an unfinished basement, look for water lines on the support beams- that will let you know if there's ever been flooding.
Take a look at your plumbing.

Get used to some creaking and settling if the floors are original.
If all the major maintenance are updated, it's just cosmetic from there. Most places in good repair have had their lead paint taken care of. Get your flues cleaned/looked over to be ready for use- I would look into inserts for those fireplaces, they make some lovely options.
Check about the gallery noise. There is a possible workaround where you can have the shared wall taken down to studs and the studs staggered to cut vibration on your side in a way that will greatly improve soundproofing.

The good news is if you're moving where there are townhouses and art galleries there is a good chance all of these things have been done and updated already.

It's the old houses in small towns that are a money pit.
Ask me how I know:lol:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is it too personal to ask what state you’re moving to? You know, just me being nosey, feel free to ignore this post :twisted2:

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Ooh, exciting! Say goodbye to squared anything.
Better to buy a house someone else has already cried over and updated.

Yes, as an owner of an almost 200 yr old house- it will be a little more cost wise than you think, always. The Northeast is just more expensive to live in- so work will always be on the high end of estimated cost.
I love an old house more than anything and wouldn't choose anything else. Check foundational structure, make sure floor joists meet the sills. Look for cracking in wood joists along the ceiling. How do those sills look? Look for chunking out of old joists, etc. Knock them, check for sponging from water and dry rot crumbling/powdering.

Older wood is denser and though not pretty- there's nothing more solid. Older houses in good repair beat new construction. If an unfinished basement, look for water lines on the support beams- that will let you know if there's ever been flooding.
Take a look at your plumbing.

Get used to some creaking and settling if the floors are original.
If all the major maintenance are updated, it's just cosmetic from there. Most places in good repair have had their lead paint taken care of. Get your flues cleaned/looked over to be ready for use- I would look into inserts for those fireplaces, they make some lovely options.
Check about the gallery noise. There is a possible workaround where you can have the shared wall taken down to studs and the studs staggered to cut vibration on your side in a way that will greatly improve soundproofing.

The good news is if you're moving where there are townhouses and art galleries there is a good chance all of these things have been done and updated already.

It's the old houses in small towns that are a money pit.
Ask me how I know:lol:

Thank you, really good thoughts too. I appreciate it and have always wanted an old home. Where we are going, the properties we really like have already had all the tears, I think.

The ones that are on our list have new windows, roofs, HVAC systems, new kitchens, and the historical details have been maintained in them. My husband is not a fixer upper guy, so we are looking for something that basically has been cared for with a ton of TLC, that we just have to put our own personal touches on and maintain it.

I would be willing to do small upgrades and changes that are cosmetic, but I know him and he's not a guy that's going to want to renovate a very old property. I had to cross lots of things off our list because I knew it would be too much for him. I would be up for it, but it's way beyond his comfort zone!

The ones that we like have newer kitchens, ducts, HVAC, etc and have been kept up. They are more expensive because of it compared to something that needs work, but I know in our stage of full time work, a gut job isn't in the cards if we want to maintain sanity.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Because of the age, make sure you can make any changes you think you might want. If the structure is labeled as historic, there may be limits on what you can do, for instance you may not be able to replace windows with different ones.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Because of the age, make sure you can make any changes you think you might want. If the structure is labeled as historic, there may be limits on what you can do, for instance you may not be able to replace windows with different ones.

I definitely agree with that. I actually want to put a plunge pool in the courtyard of whatever property we get eventually, so that's going to be a question I ask. I'm also going to ask how difficult that would be with permitting for where we are going. It's possible I have to let go of that idea, but I really would like to do it.. I think it would be quite nice. All of them have private back courtyards/gardens if they are a townhouse. Single family I'm not as worried about the pool and if possible. I think that would be easier!

Reactions: caf

m-cubed

Shiny_Rock
My house isn’t even all that old (1930), but I had to do some moderate structural work because the centerline posts in my basement didn’t have footings and weren’t pressure-treated wood. That was fun and expensive. For something older than that, I would definitely be looking carefully at the electric. You want to be sure that any and all knob and tube has been removed. Has the panel been updated to circuit breakers and modern amperage? A 100A panel won’t get you far these days. Kitchens and bathrooms are expensive and time-consuming to redo. All new windows is great, but how about other building envelope things like insulation? My house had literally no insulation, so I spent thousands on energy-related upgrades. Luckily it has a lot of charm, but man has it been a journey.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We've owned 2 century homes. I guess my advice is to expect the unexpected. There are so many items like doors, windows, hardware that will need to be custom made if they need replaced. If you need to drill through the wood work get a strong drill and sturdy drill bits. Old oak is hard.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lived my whole life there until I met my (future) wife and moved away. I do not miss the asbestos, lead paint, and buried oil tanks, as others have pointed out. All can be managed but professionals aren't cheap. A family member had issues with their kids' lead exposure -- but all turned out fine.

I do miss the character and sense of place of an old neighborhood. We intercepted a "spec house" during a boom early enough in the construction process to shoehorn in some "period-style" elements (floors, millwork, built-ins, lighting, hearth tile) -- but it's not the same.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely plan to get a home inspection - and read it carefully, and be prepared to ask a lot of questions. You may need to schedule follow-up inspections with contractors, electricians, plumbers, etc. An older-older house will probably have an adequate crawl space, but be aware that there are areas where this is not the norm - which means both that the quality of the inspection may be limited, and that serious repairs would entail tearing up floors.

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If you are buying, I third the idea of a top notch home inspector who is willing to get into crawl spaces, on the roof, etc. That would identify termites/pests, electrical (eg which big appliances trigger the circuit breaker due to inadequate wiring), insulation, structural, assess major appliances like water heater and HVAC, ducts, chimneys, detect buried oil tanks, etc.

We had both a highly rated home inspector and an environmental hazards inspector (lead paint detection with an XRF, water testing for lead and other contaminants, radon testing of ambient basement driven radon and from granite countertops, moisture detection in walls with a special moisture machine, mold and other air quality.)

In our renovated old house, we have had many problems with the old copper pipes bursting and flooding behind walls, etc. A special water monitor you can install that detects leaks can help identify when this happens. This was due to old solder. Copper pipes also decay and water becomes blue. We also had problems with newer installed plumbing not being done properly for example NO S CURVE drain in the tub, so sewer gas entered the house. We detected that via “smoke testing” (blowing smoke into a sewer line outtake). Take note of that (we did that last, after being told it was other things, and paying for those other things!) Make sure appliances and sewage stacks, water heater and stove fan are properly/safely vented. Look for Proper grouting on kitchen and bathroom sink counters, and shower so less chance of hidden water intrusion = mold.

Make sure insulation is modern, so winters are bearable. Make sure doors are properly fitted with weatherproofing around the frame. Make sure roof is pitched properly, tiles are recent, and doesn’t leak in snow or rain. Do not buy a house with an old unmodernized chimney. (Housing inspector should address all this). NE Winters are cold and snowy.

Get proper pest control for termites/ants but also be aware of nesting birds (eg block nesting sites). Each summer our family got bird mites three times with each sparrow brood! Until we blocked nesting sites. Our City actually warns about bird mites! Yes we also had a rodent die inside our crawl space Air Duct! (No idea how it entered.)

Lead paint will be everywhere in an old house. If lead paint is on window frames and sills, opening and closing windows isn’t a great idea. Stained glass windows anywhere will require expensive lead abatement.

TBH, I would only buy new, or recent twenty years, with a builder’s warranty, if you can swing it. If you like gardens and pools, live somewhere you can get a yard. Or rent so you have someone else maintain the home and you can walk away if necessary. Taking care of old houses is an endless activity.

Last edited:

elizat

Ideal_Rock
If you are buying, I third the idea of a top notch home inspector who is willing to get into crawl spaces, on the roof, etc. That would identify termites/pests, electrical (eg which big appliances trigger the circuit breaker due to inadequate wiring), insulation, structural, assess major appliances like water heater and HVAC, ducts, chimneys, detect buried oil tanks, etc.

We had both a highly rated home inspector and an environmental hazards inspector (lead paint detection with an XRF, water testing for lead and other contaminants, radon testing of ambient basement driven radon and from granite countertops, moisture detection in walls with a special moisture machine, mold and other air quality.)

In our renovated old house, we have had many problems with the old copper pipes bursting and flooding behind walls, etc. A special water monitor you can install that detects leaks can help identify when this happens. This was due to old solder. Copper pipes also decay and water becomes blue. We also had problems with newer installed plumbing not being done properly for example NO S CURVE drain in the tub, so sewer gas entered the house. We detected that via “smoke testing” (blowing smoke into a sewer line outtake). Take note of that (we did that last, after being told it was other things, and paying for those other things!) Make sure appliances and sewage stacks, water heater and stove fan are properly/safely vented. Look for Proper grouting on kitchen and bathroom sink counters, and shower so less chance of hidden water intrusion = mold.

Make sure insulation is modern, so winters are bearable. Make sure doors are properly fitted with weatherproofing around the frame. Make sure roof is pitched properly, tiles are recent, and doesn’t leak in snow or rain. Do not buy a house with an old unmodernized chimney. (Housing inspector should address all this). NE Winters are cold and snowy.

Get proper pest control for termites/ants but also be aware of nesting birds (eg block nesting sites). Each summer our family got bird mites three times with each sparrow brood! Until we blocked nesting sites. Our City actually warns about bird mites! Yes we also had a rodent die inside our crawl space Air Duct! (No idea how it entered.)

Lead paint will be everywhere in an old house. If lead paint is on window frames and sills, opening and closing windows isn’t a great idea. Stained glass windows anywhere will require expensive lead abatement.

TBH, I would only buy new, or recent twenty years, with a builder’s warranty, if you can swing it. If you like gardens and pools, live somewhere you can get a yard. Or rent so you have someone else maintain the home and you can walk away if necessary. Taking care of old houses is an endless activity.

Thanks. I'm actually pretty handy.

New construction would be less expensive actually for the most part. But, it's all subdivisions and driving everywhere. I was hoping to avoid that. I will be working from home 100 percent and I know myself - if I have to drive everywhere I won't go. If it's walkable, I will. I have that issue now and it's one of the things I have always disliked about Florida and our area. You have to drive everywhere generally.

I also don't like the style for the majority of the new construction homes in the area and many are laid out poorly for us, are simply too big or too small, and most of the newer homes I would have to rip out all carpets which is a big expense.

My big wishlist item was walkable shops, restaurants, etc. in a home with character and where we are going, new construction does not offer that. New construction or a traditional subdivision is our back up plan.

I also don't want to cut acres of grass and shovel or plow long driveways. Those are deal breakers for me and many of the options with features that fit for layout, general finishing, etc., have my deal breakers. I just don't want to spend an entire day cutting the grass once a week or get up at 3 am to shovel or snow blow so my husband can leave for work!

elizat

Ideal_Rock
My house isn’t even all that old (1930), but I had to do some moderate structural work because the centerline posts in my basement didn’t have footings and weren’t pressure-treated wood. That was fun and expensive. For something older than that, I would definitely be looking carefully at the electric. You want to be sure that any and all knob and tube has been removed. Has the panel been updated to circuit breakers and modern amperage? A 100A panel won’t get you far these days. Kitchens and bathrooms are expensive and time-consuming to redo. All new windows is great, but how about other building envelope things like insulation? My house had literally no insulation, so I spent thousands on energy-related upgrades. Luckily it has a lot of charm, but man has it been a journey.

I'm focusing on the "not sexy" parts of the options heavily! I also don't want to renovate kitchens and baths. I am willing to do surface only- new floor, vanity and fixtures which I can do myself. I am not tearing out showers, moving plumbing, cutting into foundations, etc. I'd be willing to do things like new appliances and new counters, but not new everything because it's so expensive and messy. Definitely not on my list. I remodeled the kitchen and baths in my first house and in this house, we remodeled the en suite bath. Not wanting to do that again any time soon!

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are some wonderful old houses out there, and total garbage as well.

I would worry less about asbestos, lead paint, stained glass windows and more about the foundation, basement walls, and structure.

If the structure is good then the rest can be handled (and most of it probably will be).

Asbestos and Lead Paint is really only an issue if it is crumbling. Safely painted over or covered and it is not a current health issue. I've lived in houses over 100 years old, and my current house is about 70 years old. Of course it was painted with lead paint, and the origanal floor tiles are asbestos. Neither is a concern because everything is in good condition.

On a house as old as you are looking at you really want to insure that it has been properly insulated as the house would not have been built with insulation.

Also it needs to have been rewired as it would have been wired with "knob and spool" wiring - which caused a lot of house fires, and has no grounding as part of its circuit. I'm amazed at how often its still found in service.

The key is to find a competent housing inspector - who can tell you if there are signs of foundation, basement, structure, and other problems.

If you reside the house do not use housewrap as these house unless you stripped it down to studs and insulated (rewired/replumbed/etc) and installed proper interior vapor barriers and a modern humidity control air conditioning system as the original walls need to allow moisure to move in and out through them. Installing house-wrap on the exterior under siding (etc) without redoing the interior of the walls and installing proper air conditioning often causes a severe mold problem on the inside of the house-wrap and in the walls.

Shop around to find one in good condition and enjoy.

The ones in bad condition should be sell really cheap because it's real easy to put $100,000 and potentially a lot more into an old house to remodel it properly; even if the foundation, basement walls, and structure are in good shape.

Perry

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
There are some wonderful old houses out there, and total garbage as well.

I would worry less about asbestos, lead paint, stained glass windows and more about the foundation, basement walls, and structure.

If the structure is good then the rest can be handled (and most of it probably will be).

Asbestos and Lead Paint is really only an issue if it is crumbling. Safely painted over or covered and it is not a current health issue. I've lived in houses over 100 years old, and my current house is about 70 years old. Of course it was painted with lead paint, and the origanal floor tiles are asbestos. Neither is a concern because everything is in good condition.

On a house as old as you are looking at you really want to insure that it has been properly insulated as the house would not have been built with insulation.

Also it needs to have been rewired as it would have been wired with "knob and spool" wiring - which caused a lot of house fires, and has no grounding as part of its circuit. I'm amazed at how often its still found in service.

The key is to find a competent housing inspector - who can tell you if there are signs of foundation, basement, structure, and other problems.

If you reside the house do not use housewrap as these house unless you stripped it down to studs and insulated (rewired/replumbed/etc) and installed proper interior vapor barriers and a modern humidity control air conditioning system as the original walls need to allow moisure to move in and out through them. Installing house-wrap on the exterior under siding (etc) without redoing the interior of the walls and installing proper air conditioning often causes a severe mold problem on the inside of the house-wrap and in the walls.

Shop around to find one in good condition and enjoy.

The ones in bad condition should be sell really cheap because it's real easy to put $100,000 and potentially a lot more into an old house to remodel it properly; even if the foundation, basement walls, and structure are in good shape.

Perry

Hi, when you say HouseWrap do you mean Tyvek on outer walls under siding? Good point about the importance of properly done insulation and other things that prevent moisture build up (mold). And Foundation inspection.

Also, the asbestos, radon, lead issue varies in important with who resides in the house. Young kids are on the floor all the time and will grow up touching everything roughly. My older kid is so active he’s damaged tiles, baseboards, etc. while doing stuff he’s not supposed to in the house with his friends, like hover boarding and playing catch. I tell my husband this home would be my pristine, orderly Zen Palace if it was just me living here!

Last edited:

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Hi, when you say HouseWrap do you mean Tyvek on outer walls under siding? Good point about the importance of properly done insulation and other things that prevent moisture build up (mold). And Foundation inspection.

Also, the asbestos, radon, lead issue varies in important with who resides in the house. Young kids are on the floor all the time and will grow up touching everything roughly. My older kid is so active he’s damaged tiles, baseboards, etc. while doing stuff he’s not supposed to in the house with his friends, like hover boarding and playing catch. I tell my husband this home would be my pristine, orderly Zen Palace if it was just me living here!

The ones we are considering have no siding - all brick. For our family, it's just going to be my husband and me. His teenage son is not relocating with us. So no young kids, or kids at all. Just middle aged people!

plad25

Shiny_Rock
I think people have given good advice and you seen to well prepared for what you are getting into. I live in a walkable urban neighborhood so I understand and appreciate the appeal. The only thing I would add is no matter what has been updated or how much info you're given about the history and remodels, there will be surprises over the years! If you go into it knowing and accepting, that is a big step. =)2

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @elizat welcome back to the NE!

Good advice here. Nothing to add but to share my experience.

We own an "old" home (1923 with a newer addition) and I simply adore it. I don't think I'd want to live in a new home.
All of the homes I have lived in with the exception of my childhood home were old homes.

I love how solidly built many old homes are (stone and brick for us) and the special features many old homes have.
One of my favorite homes was my pre war apartment in NYC in the 1990s. So gorgeous. Crown molding, real hardwood floors (no fake wood floors for me ever), vintage features and all the vintage lighting.

Our 1923 home at the beach. I love our dutch door (not pictured)

beachhousesept2023.png

I feel our home was built to last. And by the sea you need hardy materials because the sea air is hard on things and can cause corrosion. Still I wouldn't trade it for anything newer. I love our homes. And I hope you will too @elizat. If you aren't too far perhaps GTG in the future!

elizat

Ideal_Rock
So, an update to this thread.

We are under contract for a house built in 1869- at least that is what is documented. The inspector said it could be slightly older due to the chimney style and some other features.

It has had two additions. We do need to reinforce one of the columns in the crawl space, but we have addressed that with the sellers. The house has had additional support joists and posts added throughout the years and the insepctor said it's in good, solid condition.

The appraisal is tomorrow and if that goes well, we should be closing in mid January. Then, on to selling our Florida house.

The new house has had a lot of unsexy things already done that are newer- 2017 onwards- new roof with 50 year warranty, new oversized gutters with leaf covers, new insulation, all new windows that are either double or triple pane, aside from the original basement windows, insulated siding with warranty, etc.

Heating is a steam boiler and there is central a/c. The electrical has been updated, but tells a story about the various timies. They have some wiring that is as old as the 1920's, that the inspector still said was in good working order. The boiler will be a learning curve for us.

I am sure it is going to have a lot of quirks, but it has a lot of good points.

Some of the floors need some surface repairs, but I found a vendor to do it, I think. They are in high traffic areas, so I'd like them done properly. The floors on the original part are random width heart pine for the most part.

I'd like to have the double parlor doors stripped of the paint by a professional and maybe some of the other original doors. Some of the doors could use some "new" antique hardware as well.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
sounds exciting! congratulations on your new home.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results