shape
carat
color
clarity

Tahiti honeymoon...purchase pearls?

Mackenzie

Rough_Rock
Hi!
I am leaving for Tahiti, Bora Bora & Moorea in just under three weeks! I can not wait :) I am thinking about buying black pearls while I am there and giving them as my bridemaids gifts. Has anyone been there and can tell me how much black pearls cost there? I have NO idea and I know you can't always trust the internet. Thanks for any help you can offer!

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
Hellooo! I just got back from my honeymoon Bora Bora a couple weeks ago!

I did not purchase any black pearls but you can pretty much get them at any price point. We went in to lots of shops but I couldn't decide between earrings or a pendant so I just never bought one!

In most shops we went into, the prices started around the $100 mark and went up from there depending on the quality and size of the pearl. I know you can visit black pearl farms (the one in BB is called "The Farm" I believe) and they probably tell you what to look for when purchasing.

After knowing so much about diamonds from being on PS, I found it really hard to try to buy a pearl without any knowledge of them. I wish I would have studied up on them before we left.

Good luck with your shopping and be sure to take some pictures! Have fun on your holiday! Where are you staying?

calibali

Brilliant_Rock
I haven't gone there yet, but I think buying pearls there would be a great honeymoon keepsake. Can I ask where you are staying in Bora Bora and Moorea?

Travel Goddess, do you have a thread where you discussed your honeymoon? I'm trying to gather info on Bora Bora and Moorea since I will be getting married and honeymooning there next year and would love to hear about your experience.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
NO! We honeymooned in Tahiti, Moorea and Bora Bora and I was itching to buy some Tahitian pearls. But whatever you do, DO NOT buy them there. They know anyone who comes down there has a lot of disposible income, and they all charge an arm and a leg for mediocre quality at best.

I did end up getting a pendant and earring set, but more as a keepsake. The pearl strand I had my eyes on costed 20K in Tahiti, but runs only 5K when you buy in NA from a reputable pearl seller.

Have fun!

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
calibali said:
Travel Goddess, do you have a thread where you discussed your honeymoon? I'm trying to gather info on Bora Bora and Moorea since I will be getting married and honeymooning there next year and would love to hear about your experience.

You know, I haven't really posted anything on here about the honeymoon. If you have any questions, feel free to ask (but maybe start a new thread, so we don't jack this one). That reminds me, I haven't put a post up on Trip Advisor yet either.

I think there a few PS gals who honeymooned there so we can all chime in if you want to start a Tahiti thread. :D

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results