shape
carat
color
clarity

Tag/Yard/Estate Sales and the like, do you go?

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like to go every now and again to see if I might find something GREAT! But, I have to say, I almost never do. Though I am admittedly cheap, I am also quite picky. There were two big estate sales nearby this weekend, The kind that are run by professional estate sale companies. I didn't go to either, which I regret (just a bit) because I feel like I missed out on that possibly GREAT something.

So, this is what led to my question. Do you go to tag sales (that's what they call them here in CT)? My husband is not from this area and had never heard of a tag sale before living here. I believe they call them yard sales where he's from.

Feel free to brag about your GREAT finds here. I would, but, as I mentioned, I have none!

Guilty Pleasure

Brilliant_Rock
I don't go to garage sales (that's what we call them), but I've had a few garage sales in my life and made a nice little sum of money. People are so cheap though! No, I am not going to knock the price down from a dollar to a quarter, lady! :twirl:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Locally we call them garage sales if it is just a person selling stuff but if it is possessions of a deceased person the state wants it's tax money so it is called an estate sale.

I LOVE looking for treasures at garage sales.
Estate sales usually hire a trained eye so killer deals are more rare.
Once I found 4 really nice old heavy sterling silver place settings for $5 total.

I found this 9kt gold Edwardian heart bracelet.
They were popular around 1880 to 1920 and the marks date this one at 1909 and from Birmingham IIRC.
Many a young man marching off to WW1 gave one of these to his sweetheart.

I think I paid one buck for this one.
They probably thought it was just pure copper.

What looks like "screws" was just carved into the gold.

It is hard to make out because the top of the 375 numbers are worn off but if you stare long enough at the pic below you can make out 9 .375 - for 9 karat gold or 0.375% gold.

n.png

nnn.png

nnnn.png

nnnnn.png

Guilty Pleasure

Brilliant_Rock
kenny|1310846909|2970477 said:
I found this 9kt gold Edwardian heart bracelet.
They were popular around 1880 to 1920 and the marks date this one at 1909 and from Birmingham IIRC.
Many a young man marching off to WW1 gave this to his sweetheart.
;( :love: :blackeye:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG if I paid a buck I think I got a deal.

900.png

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I've been to a couple of estate sales (run by professional companies) and I really enjoy it IF I have time. The trouble is that a lot of antiques dealers go to these sales as well, so sometimes I get intimidated about bidding. I love antiques, though, and have gotten a few things I really like. The only downside for me is that you could spend the entire day and nothing comes up for bid that you absolutely love.

So while I do love estate sales, I'm more likely to go to a few of my favorite antiques stores, spend a little more money, but save a lot of time.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I go to them, but my husband LOVES them!!! we live in a town that on Labor Day almost the whole dang town has a yard sale, us included, this year the hubby is having a Man Cave yard sale, lol, he is cleaning out the garage to make room for some machine he bought that is hugh, I on the other hand am going to a concert out of town :wink2:

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
I will go to Flea Markets and Estate Sales as often as I can...I love them, love them, love them. I've found really beautiful things...and the stories that go along with them fascinate me. But when I really go hunting is when I am out of state traveling..I love bringing home local pieces that we just don't have where I live.

Then again, I've really into salvaged architecture, industrial chic home decor and things of that nature (my coffee table is an old furniture cart from a factory in Chicago). It kills me to spend $$$ on veer woods and cheaply made furniture, I'd rather hunt for a long time to find an authentic piece. For example, Pottery Barn has this workbench bar that I loved. I went to the store to look at it, it was $1,300 and was constructed of veers, it was cool and the concept was great--but I couldn't justify it. I spent probably 2 years trying to find one like it--but a real one--something someone had used and loved. I eventually found one at an Antique Market for $300.00--and talked the guy down to $250. Huge savings. But, even better than that, it was authentic and well loved and told a story.

megumic

Brilliant_Rock
we go all the time and find great stuff. Tons of great deals on old furniture that we refinish. There are so many great finds out there, if only our house were bigger!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've never been to an estate sale but I'd go once or twice, just to see what they're like. I'll admit that although I know you can get some great things at yard sales, I'm always wary of going to them. Too much of what I've seen has been more junk than treasure. Maybe I'm just not going to the right ones.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
I've gone to a few but it's a lot of effort and you may not find what you want and, then, you may not get it. Once we finished furnishing our house, I'd go to these more often to find small decoration items. I think if you had something you HAD to get, then going this route would be very hard. But if you did find something, you'd get a great value.

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
I would love to go, but I've always been told that to get to the treasures GO EARLY.

And, well, I don't like mornings. :lol:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
sillyberry|1310862688|2970593 said:
I would love to go, but I've always been told that to get to the treasures GO EARLY.

DItto, verbatim. Not a morning person at all.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Italiahaircolor|1310851971|2970525 said:
I will go to Flea Markets and Estate Sales as often as I can...I love them, love them, love them. I've found really beautiful things...and the stories that go along with them fascinate me. But when I really go hunting is when I am out of state traveling..I love bringing home local pieces that we just don't have where I live.

Then again, I've really into salvaged architecture, industrial chic home decor and things of that nature (my coffee table is an old furniture cart from a factory in Chicago). It kills me to spend $$$ on veer woods and cheaply made furniture, I'd rather hunt for a long time to find an authentic piece. For example, Pottery Barn has this workbench bar that I loved. I went to the store to look at it, it was $1,300 and was constructed of veers, it was cool and the concept was great--but I couldn't justify it. I spent probably 2 years trying to find one like it--but a real one--something someone had used and loved. I eventually found one at an Antique Market for $300.00--and talked the guy down to $250. Huge savings. But, even better than that, it was authentic and well loved and told a story.

What the heck are veers? Do you mean veneer?

I LOVE going to flea markets and usually go without Gypsy since I like to get up early. ;))

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
neatfreak|1310872693|2970654 said:
Italiahaircolor|1310851971|2970525 said:

What the heck are veers? Do you mean veneer?

I LOVE going to flea markets and usually go without Gypsy since I like to get up early. ;))

You're right, I typed that wrong. Oops. And yes, I hate them.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
sillyberry|1310862688|2970593 said:

Absolutely the best time to go in the morning. At some markets you can buy a vendor pass for a bit more $$$ and walk the yard as the sellers are setting up.

The other time to go is late...especially if you're looking for furniture. Sellers do not want to haul that stuff home, so if you can find what you want and haggle hard, chances are you'll get a better deal.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I used to go to them but the last thing I need now is more STUFF. As NEL says, dealers get there first nowadays, and if there's a company doing the sale, they know the value of things, where they didn't used to. You can't find the bargains as easily. I have gotten some neat stuff from time to time -- like a lovely set of 3 maple nesting tables & a pair of Staffordshire china flower thingies.

Have you seen the folks who turn up on Antiques Roadshow with, say, a painting they paid $4.50 for that's worth $16,000? I can't STAND it!!! :devil:

--- Laurie

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1310909057|2970754 said:
Have you seen the folks who turn up on Antiques Roadshow with, say, a painting they paid $4.50 for that's worth $16,000? I can't STAND it!!! :devil:

--- Laurie

Yes! So frustrating. I'm still waiting to show up to one of these estate sales and see a 5-carat asscher being sold for $50. Why does this never happen to me?? ;(

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
They don't really have them where I live. I did find a really beautiful antique sewing machine a few weeks ago - we were at a vintage car rally and there were some stall selling just random stuff, including the machine. It's in really nice condition, made in 1910. I collect antique Singers, and there are a few I'm looking for. Jumble sales, car boot sales, grubby little junk shops etc are always worth a look.

I went to an antiques roadshow event once, just out of boredom (maternity leave). It was horribly crowded, with a 4 -5 hour wait to see an expert. I saw some amazing stuff in the queue (and some awesome junk - I swear, some of the things people were clutching clearly said "dishwasher safe" on them... )

Just for fun, we drove out of the venue, past the endless line of cars and people waiting to get in, waving an Ikea mug and plate I found in the back of the car and shouting "we're rich, we're rich." :bigsmile:

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
JewelFreak|1310909057|2970754 said:
I used to go to them but the last thing I need now is more STUFF. As NEL says, dealers get there first nowadays, and if there's a company doing the sale, they know the value of things, where they didn't used to. You can't find the bargains as easily. I have gotten some neat stuff from time to time -- like a lovely set of 3 maple nesting tables & a pair of Staffordshire china flower thingies.

--- Laurie

OMG!! YES!!!! I don't need any more STUFF!

My mom and I used to go every Saturday, almost religiously. My entire house is pretty much antique or refurbished garage-sale finds. And garage-sale books. LOTS of them. But now? After the death of my mom (I got all her "stuff"), and acquiring a husband (he brought HIS "stuff"), I AM a garage-sale that needs to happen. :rolleyes:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jennifer W|1310916572|2970784 said:
They don't really have them where I live. I did find a really beautiful antique sewing machine a few weeks ago - we were at a vintage car rally and there were some stall selling just random stuff, including the machine. It's in really nice condition, made in 1910. I collect antique Singers, and there are a few I'm looking for. Jumble sales, car boot sales, grubby little junk shops etc are always worth a look.

I went to an antiques roadshow event once, just out of boredom (maternity leave). It was horribly crowded, with a 4 -5 hour wait to see an expert. I saw some amazing stuff in the queue (and some awesome junk - I swear, some of the things people were clutching clearly said "dishwasher safe" on them... )

Just for fun, we drove out of the venue, past the endless line of cars and people waiting to get in, waving an Ikea mug and plate I found in the back of the car and shouting "we're rich, we're rich." :bigsmile:

That just cracks me up! My husband watches that show and although everyone there wants to be rich, they all say they'd never part with this chair or whatever. I'll bet you turned a lot of heads with that trick - too funny!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results