shape
carat
color
clarity

Tablet recommendations

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I want a tablet.

I love the IPads, but I have nothing else by Apple and the prices are really high. I have a smart phone by Verizon and it's a Droid.

What tablets do you guys recommend for me to take a look at? I'd love to get one for my birthday/anniversary next month. Or for Christmas.

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
I asked DH. He said the best price for the specs is Toshiba Thrive, but it's bulky since it has all kind of ports. Next would be Asus Eee Pad Transformer. And then he said the top of the line for tablet right now is Samsung Galaxy.

I personally don't know much abbot these things. I have a 64gb iPad 2; I also have an iPhone. Not sure about the tablet, but I find my iPhone much easier to navigate than DH's android phone.

ETA: he also talked about some coupon codes for tablet on amazon, but he said it doesn't work for galaxy tab. He tried.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
The iPad is pretty amazing. It's just so user friendly and the app options are endless. I would definitely look at that one!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
qtiekiki|1314489129|3002320 said:
I asked DH. He said the best price for the specs is Toshiba Thrive, but it's bulky since it has all kind of ports. Next would be Asus Eee Pad Transformer. And then he said the top of the line for tablet right now is Samsung Galaxy.

I personally don't know much abbot these things. I have a 64gb iPad 2; I also have an iPhone. Not sure about the tablet, but I find my iPhone much easier to navigate than DH's android phone.

ETA: he also talked about some coupon codes for tablet on amazon, but he said it doesn't work for galaxy tab. He tried.

I'm going to check out that Asus. We bought an Asus computer and I love it except for how bulky it was, plus it had errors. We returned it and got a samsung and I'm not greatly impressed with it, though it's been generally fine. But I'd love to own an Asus.

Central, I would but... I'm just not sure it would be the right move since everything else I own is Droid of PC, ya know?

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
DH has an Asus netbook that is great, so definitely worth checking that brand.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I have a Droid too, and I bought an Android tablet, the Archos 101. It's pretty inexpensive as tablets go, and thin and light (way lighter than the ipad), which is great. The aspect ratio is a little different from most tablets, basically longer and thinner, which makes it probably the only 10-inch tablet that I can actually hold with one hand. It also has a full-sized USB port, so you can transfer files from a USB flash drive, and a slot for a micro-SD card to maximize the storage space. However, I wouldn't recommend it unless you're pretty well-versed with Android hacking. It doesn't come with the full Android market and some other features that should be standard, and the user interface is old (Android 2.2), slow, and buggy unless you void your warranty and root it.

I hear very good things about the Motorola Xoom and Samsung Galaxy Tab, but both of those are really expensive. I don't have any other good suggestions for you.

(Edited to add more details.)

wannaBMrsH

Brilliant_Rock
We are a mostly Apple family, but we bought a Samsung Tablet for DH's teenage soon and he is really enjoying it.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love my iPad.

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
We love our Ipad! Great for traveling too!

klop1986

Rough_Rock
wacom is the best brand

natsplat

Brilliant_Rock
I am on the ASUS Transformer now. It's a superb bit of kit. I would recommend it :)

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
I'm leaning toward getting a Galaxy Tab for my husband for his birthday. It looks pretty cool.

Hera

Ideal_Rock
I would choose the iPad. I think it's well worth the extra $100.

Clio

Brilliant_Rock
My husband has the Samsung Galaxy and loves it.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We both have iPads and they are amazing. Well worth the extra dollars. We sat at Verizon one night doing things side by side with different tablets and the iPad never hung or glitched once but the others did. Things like angry birds and Netflix. Also the apple apps are checked for malware.

psadmin

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
We have an Ipad and are very happy with it. We are considering to get an Ipad 2 so the adults can use it more. :)

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Whatever you end up getting, I wouldn't get one unless it has a front-facing camera so you can video chat. That's one of the best aspects of mine.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well I went tablet shopping today and came home with a second laptop.

I thought I could get away with getting a tablet instead of a second computer but by the time I bought the tablet and the warranty (trust me, absolutely necessary) and the keyboard (because it extended the battery to 19 hours, and had the USB port on it) ... it cost less to get a an ASUS laptop with great performance and a nice screen and 9 hours of battery life.

I played with the ASUS tablet and the IPAD and they just didn't DO enough to justify the price to someone that has a Driod phone already and a Nook. And some of the things I wanted them to do (like copy and paste) were uncomfortable. Plus they are kinda fragile. I looked at a netbook and considered getting one of those, but the laptop prices were so reasonable... I didn't see the point in getting something that can't really run a word processor and hurts my eyes to read on.

The Ipad was much easier to use, but I couldn't dock anything to it except a camera... and that's what I use my laptop for.

I think they need to make the tablets into more of a full capability before I would be interested. Or they need to be a LOT cheaper. 400-500 plus accessories for the ASUS and 600 or the Ipad. No way. If it were in the 200-300 range, sure. But for the price a laptop is a much better investment. At least for us.

If a tablet is the right machine for you though, the ASUS was really nice. The only reason I wanted one was to pay Angry Birds REALLY BIG.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results