shape
carat
color
clarity

Table numbers

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
Are you numbering or naming the tables at your reception?

FI and I were planning on numbering our tables. It''s classic and pretty straight-forward, and it doesn''t require too much stress on our part (as we don''t have to think of creative names). My mother read somewhere that guests often get their nose out of joint about table numbers, so that you shouldn''t use them and should come up with table names. Like, with numbered tables, Aunt Ethel sees that she''s at table 7 and Cousin Eustace is at table 4, and gets upset because she''s obviously so much cooler/closer to the couple/whatever than Eustace. But with named tables, there''s no obvious hierarchy. Thoughts?

And if you''re naming your tables, what kind of names are you using?

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
we used names, bascially names of all the diff parks/beaches/places around in SF, the Golden Gate Parks make these cool postcards and we just bought a bunch of diff ones of places we liked and used them as table names.

I''ve seen fun ones like locations that are meaningful for the couple, things like that, or movies they like.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
We just used numbers. The funny thing is I think the our head table was number 6 or something since it was in the center of the room. I just printed off numbers in the same font that I used on our invites/std/programs and put them in a simple frame.

September8

Rough_Rock
we had thought about using photos of us in place of numbers and naming the table after the photos (we would for easier reading put the name of the photo on it somehow)

when i brought up the idea to my mom and sister they both thought it was a terrible idea. they have never heard of having table names, i guess. i knew my mom wouldn''t but i thought that my sister would know!! But nooope

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/5/2007 3:39:11 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
We just used numbers. The funny thing is I think the our head table was number 6 or something since it was in the center of the room. I just printed off numbers in the same font that I used on our invites/std/programs and put them in a simple frame.

I was wondering if having our head table be 6 or 8 or something would help ease my mom''s concern that we''re going to offend people. Or we could just stick anyone likely to get upset at table 1, so that they feel special.
5.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it''s silly that any guest would get bent out of shape because there are table numbers instead of names. Seriously. We did numbers. I didn''t notice anyone in a huff.
2.gif
I haven''t been to a wedding yet that didn''t use numbers, actually...come to think of it!!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/5/2007 4:33:23 PM
Author: Blenheim
Date: 1/5/2007 3:39:11 PM

Author: Tacori E-ring

I was wondering if having our head table be 6 or 8 or something would help ease my mom''s concern that we''re going to offend people. Or we could just stick anyone likely to get upset at table 1, so that they feel special.
5.gif

I didn''t really feel a need to be at table 1 so we numbered them in an obvious way (easy to find the tables). I have no idea what people who were sitting at table 1 felt. I honestly didn''t think of it. I think it is silly for someone to get upset but I guess it could happen. Funny that the people we were less close to were probably at 1 since that table was pretty far from us. I know a wedding where the groom was a big golfer and named the tables after the courses he has played on. Honestly I feel like when there are themes like that the wedding feels a little like a bar mitzvah.

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/5/2007 4:59:35 PM
Author: FireGoddess
I think it''s silly that any guest would get bent out of shape because there are table numbers instead of names. Seriously. We did numbers. I didn''t notice anyone in a huff.
2.gif
I haven''t been to a wedding yet that didn''t use numbers, actually...come to think of it!!

It''s quite possible that my mom''s just going crazy.
1.gif
(j/k)

In all seriousness, I think that she''s getting much more stressed out about the wedding than I am and she''s seeing problems where there aren''t any. She''s been having some personal problems and I think that they''re carrying over.

I''m not too big on themes either, honestly. I think it''s part of the reason that I don''t really feel like having our tables named. Anything we choose will start to seem a little forced to me.

E B

Ideal_Rock
If we go through with our bird theme (which I greatly favor over anything else we''ve come up with), we''ll name the tables after different local birds.

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Actually, I like the idea of table names. I had never thought of that. I''d probably do flowers as my theme. However, I think having numbers is fine, specifically having them numbered in the order closest to the entryway, or something like that so there''s no chance of people getting offended. On the other hand, I think that is not something you need to worry about and do whatever YOU want w/the tables. You have enough to do!

lili

Ideal_Rock
I think table names is a cute idea. I''ve seen one done with words associated with marriage (ie. love, cherish, honor, eternity, faith, etc).
Personally I used numbers just because it is a whole lot easier for the ushers and guests to find the tables.
I guess it would work with names if you alphabetized them. The thing about names is that you may need to dig deep into your brain to
come up with a long list if you have many tables.

Clarygrace

Shiny_Rock
Since we are getting married in Tuscany (a special place for us), we are using the names of Tuscan cities: Florence, Siena, Arezzo, etc. We are adding to the fun by using framed photos of our past trips to those cities as part of the centerpieces.

Be creative in choosing something that is special to you and you''ll find it not to be stressful....enjoy!

35.gif

Miss Andi

Rough_Rock
I agree it seems silly to worry about what table number your at, you''ve been invited to the wedding so obviously the couple like you.

cpster

Brilliant_Rock
We used names like love, happiness, and friendship for our tables. We also picked out some of our favorite poems and printed them on cards preceeded by the name of the table. We put these cards into frames and onto the tables.

One thing to consider is the the number of tables you will be having. It''s a bit time consuming for your guests to find a named table if there are too many tables. Numbers make it easier. Our wedding was small, so names worked out fine.

tiffanytwisted

Brilliant_Rock
I was just at a wedding where they used names of places they would like to visit as the table names. I think numbers are fine though, and maybe a little easier see the number on the table instead of a long name. (although the one I was at the font was sort of weird so it seemed hard to see, and people had to walk directly up to each table to see what the name was) Numbers have a sense of order, so I think it might be a little easier to find the table. I also think if the head table is a middle number and not 1 then there won''t be the hierarchy feeling.

rms

Brilliant_Rock
We had 2 receptions. For one, we just used table numbers. For the other, believe it or not we used baseball teams (my DH is a baseball fan and we had just gone on a trip to see a bunch of games). The only person who was upset at the team he got was the bartender :) and he was just kidding with us anyways. We changed his team when some of the other tables cleared out.

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Depending on how many tables, you could use numbers from your life that are important. Such as your birthday, his birthday, the date you got engaged etc.

Just do numbers like this: July 1, 2006=7106

Then auntie can''t figure out the table hierarchy and you have a conversation piece.....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results