shape
carat
color
clarity

T minus 2 days - Ring and Proposal...HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

brandonb

Shiny_Rock
Whew...after a month, the ring should finally be here on Friday, the same day I plan to propose! I''m cutting it close! Ok, here is my dilema and situation, lets see if you have any ideas.

I am currently in town A right now with my girlfriend. She lives/works here. We both went to school in town B which is where I still live and have one year left of school. There is a spot in town B that is at a gazebo where we went on our first date. This is where I want to propose. So far, I have a "job interview" in town B on Friday at 1pm and a haircut for the "interview" on Thursday at 5pm. I am going to leave town A on Thursday to have dinner with her parents and ask for their permission/blessing. She wants me to come back to town A after my job interview on Friday so that we can go to her hometown on Saturday together in one car. So now I need a reason to get her to Town B on Friday night. I am wanting to have a suprise dinner in Town B with all of her family and my family. The problem is, she doesn''t get off work until at least 5. It will take her 2 hours to get to Town B, maybe longer because of 5 o''clock Friday traffic. This would make dinner with the family not until 8 or 8:30 which is too late for the older people in the family. I need a way to get her to Town B fast and early. She has only been working at this job for a few months and I don''t know a boss to ask to let her go early. Also, I don''t want her to get suspicious if I try and get her to get off early and come to Town B. Also, since the park is out of the way, I am going to have to use a blindfold to take her there. This part should be okay because I''ve done it before with a favorite resturaunt of hers. We love to eat good food and if I tell her there is a new resturaunt and it is a surprise, she won''t be suspicious about the blindfold. But, I still need a way to get her to come see me in Town B without getting her attention and then I need to see if there is a way to get her to see if she can leave work early to get here by 6 o''clock.

I would do it Saturday but she wants to go to her hometown, which is an hour or two from Town A and B, because one of her family members is having a birthday party. So Saturday is out of the picture.

This is probably really confusing, but I wanted to leave the cities out in case someone read and somehow knew us. If you need any clarification, please let me know. I am getting really stressed out and nervous about having this all flow smoothly. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-Brandon

ep6585

Brilliant_Rock
I thought I was reading an algabra test question when I was reading your post. LOL.

Could you call and tell her your car broke down and you needed her to leave work early come pick you up? Then when she gets there you could say you already had it fixed. Maybe let her boss in on it.

Do you have any pictures of the ring yet?

brandonb

Shiny_Rock
Haha, sorry about the long post.

Well, one problem with the car thing is that I just bought a brand new car last week! So it breaking down wouldn't be too believable. Also, I don't know if I want to risk talking to her boss or anyone at work. She has only been there for a month and a half and I don't know who her boss is. Also, I wouldn't want to take a chance of it getting talked about at the office and then she finds out!

No pictures yet! The ring will be here friday. Hopefully WF will send me pictures of it tomorrow when they get it from Vatche.

Thanks,
-Brandon

lsmathis1

Shiny_Rock
Can you call her company and find her boss that way? I'd say, unless he/she has no emotional side, they would be fine with letting her out early. Obviously, you'd have to come up with a reason for her boss to tell her to leave without making her suspecious.

I'd imagine she'd be tired by a long trip so I'd do anything to get her to you as early as possible...so she can have some time to recoup.

I'll let you know if I have any bright ideas
2.gif

I hope it all works out!

lsmathis1

Shiny_Rock
Ok, so no call to the company...hmmm...(thinking cap on) You're just going to have to tell her to do her best to get there early...that you have reservations etc...? While this is tough, maybe she can go in work an hour early to make up for the time - so her boss wouldn't have any problems??

brandonb

Shiny_Rock
I've thought about finding out her bosses name and getting a hold of him, but I am REALLY worried about it slipping and her finding out. That would absolutely kill me. She has no idea this is coming and I don't want her to have any idea at all.

brandonb

Shiny_Rock
I thought about that, but I think reservations may throw her off. We never make reservations unless it's a nice resturaunt for a special occasion. Most of the resturaunts in town don't take them unless they are really nice, which would put up a red flag.

Gale

Shiny_Rock
From what I understand, you don't know her boss. You could call the personnell department at her office and solicit their help - they would probably direct you to her boss. Her boss might be willing to give her a few hours off to come and meet you, once you've explained the situation. There remains some difficulty in coming up with a plan to get her to City B. The broken down car thing mentioned above would probably work. Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

brandonb

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the advice Gale. Again, I'm just worried about people at her work finding out and blowing the secret.

lsmathis1

Shiny_Rock
So, you can't just ask her to come early? After all the complications with any "leaking" news etc. this seems to be the only logical way of getting her there, unless you go suprise and pick her up yourself
2.gif
...and tell boss upon entry!

brandonb

Shiny_Rock
Well, that's an idea. I could pick her up from work. I would call her when my interview is over and tell her I am coming back to Town A to meet her when she gets off work. Now, I have to find a reason to go to Town B in a hurry once I pick her up. Any ideas?

lsmathis1

Shiny_Rock
Luckily, since your the driver...maybe just nudge her along so to speak...you could say you just want to get ahead of traffic...so you have more time to spend holding her instead of being distracted in the car
wink2.gif
wink2.gif
...I wouldn't ask questions if my honey said this to me! That would be a nice way for her to unwind from her day also - not having to drive, but just sit and relax in the passenger seat.

I hope this helps...

brandonb

Shiny_Rock
I may try some version of picking her up. I really wish I could find a way for her to ask to leave early though.

ep6585

Brilliant_Rock
Could you call and tell her you ran into a friend in town B that she hasn't seen in a while and that they'd like to see her but will only be around for a short period of time?

Gale

Shiny_Rock
Sorry about that. I must have been composing my post when all that other advice came in, there was only one reply at the time. Is there a reason why it has to be this Friday? Perhaps you could take some of the pressure off by moving it to next weekend when it might be a little less hectic. Certainly getting her to City B on the following Saturday afternoon might be a lot easier than trying to get her there without the co-operation of her boss on Friday afternoon. Or maybe Sunday this weekend, and do a family brunch thing instead of dinner, if people are available. Do you have any friends in City B? Can you ask her to try to get out 1 hour early to come and meet friends for any sort of reason? My boss often lets me come in an hour early if I need to leave earlier than normal. Perhaps she can arrange something like that.

JimDiamond

Shiny_Rock
Okay, if you have no way to get her out of work early it seems as if you have only two choices:

1. Get HER to be willing to leave work early. This would require a reason that would convince her to leave and it would require that it's even a possibility. Depending upon the nature of the work it may not be possible. She also has very little time at that new job.

2. Change your day and time! If you're dead set on doing it in whatever town it was, then come up with something to be able to plan it for a week from Saturday. That way you don't have to try to figure out the impossible. You're going to be stressed enough.

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
Call her and tell her that your new car was stolen and you need a ride.

Call her and tell her there's a movie being filmed in town B at 6 and they need extras for a scene, in particular women of her height and hair color.

Call her and tell her you are going into the witness protection program and this will be her last chance ever to see you.

Call her and tell her you have amnesia, but found her number in your cell phone, can she please come right away and help the doctors figure out who you are.

Tell her you have tickets to a show (if town B has shows) and that it starts at 6, and is there any way she can make it out of work early.

Go to her office and yank on the fire alarm at 4, then kidnap her in the ensuing confusion (in past days of lesser terrorism, calling in a bomb threat would have worked, but that's just not funny any more
sad.gif
)

When you ask her parents, get them to help you figure out a way!

Good luck!!!
1.gif

brandonb

Shiny_Rock
Hey everyone, thanks for all of the advice!

To answer a few questions, I really have to do it this Friday. We are going to her hometown on Saturday and Sunday so we will not be able to get to our "special spot" in town B. As for another weekend, this is it. I am going out of town next weekend and then after that, I will be going back to school and we will be apart. So this is it! The ring wasn't supposed to be in until Saturday, but I begged and pleaded and they are getting it to me on Friday!

I think I've got everything figured out. It doesn't have to be that early on Friday anymore. I spoke to her Sister who lives 6 hours away. She can't leave until 2:30 so she won't be able to meet us for dinner until 8:30. So now I won't have to propose until 7:30 or so. I am going to go back to Town A and pick her up from work. I'll call her today to let her know I found a new resturaunt that we must try and leave it at that. I will drive us down here and then blindfold her so she can't see the restaurant I picked out. I'll take her to the Gazebo and them remove the blindfold with me on one knee. She's not going to know what hit her. She got upset yesterday because I bought a new car last week so she thinks that it took money out of the ring "fund". She thinks I have no money to buy her a ring and that she won't get one towards the end of this year!

Thanks
-Brandon

Gale

Shiny_Rock
It's great that the time pressure has been removed. Things should go smoothly for you. Good luck and I hope she enjoys your proposal.

lsmathis1

Shiny_Rock
That's awesome! Sounds like you've got the plan down - I know that's a relief!

That's too funny about yesterday with the car thing...I would be thinking the same thing
2.gif
Looks like you totally have her fooled - she'll never guess you're going to propose tonight!

I'm glad it's worked out. Congratulations and good luck! Please make sure you post pics and the story!

~Lisa

kkeen15

Shiny_Rock
ROFLMAO quaeriter-- I would love to see someone use one of your ideas. My favorite proposals are the ones where all kinds of weird hectic things are happening, and in the midst of it, the man gets down on one knee. Thanks for the laugh!

JimDiamond

Shiny_Rock
I love that she doesn't suspect the proposal because you bought the new car. It's going to be great! Good job. Just remember to keep her spirits up. Do something small but sweet when you pick her up. One disadvantage of total surprise is that you can't control her emotions. You don't want her going into a sulk right before you're supposed to be getting down on one knee--or her not being in the mood to be blindfolded.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results