shape
carat
color
clarity

SYTYCD, I'm a huge softie!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like to have this show in the background while doing chores or cooking, every now and then there's a routine I love, and I just wanted to share this one because it makes me so happy! Haha, I"m a total romantic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BNFh16Wnps&feature=related

Anyone else following the show this season?

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Melanie said last week that her boyfriend was in the audience (for the first time) during that performance. Heh.

Melanie is my favorite dancer this season, I've sort of loved her since her first audition. But I'm worried for her because she's so popular and it's early in the season.

I've watched every season religiously--love this show!

lulu66

Brilliant_Rock
melanie & marco are my favs too and i liked this routine a lot. :) so sweet

i'm digging the formatting this year w/them being paired up at the beginning and then bringing in the all-stars for the second half. but, question: in the past if your partner got sent home that didn't necessarily mean you went home, right? they got repaired up? this season they're getting voted off in pairs but not sure if it has to be that way or it's just coincidence...

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I like the new format, too. I really liked last fall when they tried the all-stars format. This is a good compromise so that there are more dancers, but we still get the all-stars in the last half. I also like the girls and guys numbers each week.

I find it a little coincidental that they're getting voted off in pairs as well. On one hand, I do like powerhouse couples like Marko and Melanie, where both are very strong dancers. On the other hand, I find it a bit unfair that they've paired up the weaker dancers. I don't know, it seems a little fishy. I'm sure they'd say it's purely coincidence that the couples are voted off each weak, but after several weeks of it, I think it's a bit too coincidental. Maybe the judges feel the audience gets attached to the couple and it's safer this way. I always like seeing a new couple pair up, though.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's always such a tough choice, maybe once the judges decide on one group (guys or girls) it biases them towards letting the other half of the couple go as well since you need something to make your decision on, and maybe they figure that person would be disadvantaged with a new partner anyways? I agree though that the weaker dancers did seem to get paired together (like the tapper and the ballroom dancer)

lulu66

Brilliant_Rock
just making sure i wasn't the only one who thought it was all a bit too coincidental. we'll see how the rest of the season goes...

all in all i'm loving this season & every week i think, "i just have no clue who they are gonna send home!" of course there are a few standouts but i think the others are all great dancers too!

GamerGirl

Shiny_Rock
Just saw this thread! I've been watching SYTYCD for a few years (started the year that Sabra won).

I didn't really love last year - especially once Alex was out :((

I think that Melanie, Marko and Tad are my favorites. I'm glad Ashley and the "WOO" dude are gone -- WOO dude annoyed the heck out of me and Ashley just had no personality - maybe if she had been paired with a different dancer it would have come out more? I feel kind of bad for the broadway guy (Jess I think?) he is so short and they paired him up with one of the biggest girls! Although he seems to be handling it fine.

My mom and I were also commenting that it seemed fishy that all the couples were getting booted together. I didn't realize that they were doing the Allstars in the second half! That will be interesting, since the judges have been keeping all the couples together it will be the first time they all have to learn to dance with a new partner!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Caitlynn is my fave. Not sure if she can win but she doesn't annoy me as much as most of the contestants this season. LOL. They are all good DANCERS ... but .... ooof. Charm, anyone? Anyone? No? Yeah. That's what I'm seeing. Lots of NO charm.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
NewEnglandLady|1310415229|2966679 said:
I've watched every season religiously--love this show!
DITTO.

Re: Melanie ... I think they trotted Melanie's boyfriend out last week to clear up some, uh, suspicions. :tongue:

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Deco, I completely agree with the reason they suddenly decided to introduce that Melanie has a boyfriend...methinks the nation was convinced M&M was a budding romance.

And I agree about this season. Everybody says it's the best to date in terms of the caliber of dancers and I can't argue with that because the dancers are consistently strong this season. And you know how much I love a strong dancer (if you recall, I threw a little fit when Brandon didn't win and threatened to never watch again because I was tired of seeing the best dancers lose). But I agree, the personalities this season are a little meh. And for that reason, season 2 is still my favorite. Remember with Travis and Benji and Heidi and a bunch of other really fun (and great!) dancers? I miss that!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
NewEnglandLady|1310591729|2968328 said:
Remember with Travis and Benji and Heidi and a bunch of other really fun (and great!) dancers? I miss that!
And Benji's fierce partner Donyelle (?) ... that Hairspray # will never be topped!!!! "Can't Stop The Beat!"

Lanie

Brilliant_Rock
Does anyone know why Alex didn't come back? I was under the impression that he would return this season after his injury???

GamerGirl

Shiny_Rock
Last I saw in the news Alex was still recovering - I think he had to eventually have surgery after his injury last year? No word on if he will be able to dance still or come back to the show. :(sad

I did a quick search and on his Twitter he says that he danced as a backup dancer for Dia on The Voice - so he must be recovered. He gives tons of props to SYTYCD so who knows what will happen with him?? Surprise appearance with him and Twitch redo-ing that AWESOME hip hop number from last year??

Ok - a little more searching and I found this: http://www.dancespirit.com/articles/3019
looks like he IS still recovering, isn't sure how much of his dancing he will get back and hopes to someday make it back to SYTYCD.

stephbolt

Brilliant_Rock
I love this show! Mitchell and Caitlynn are my favorites this season (along with the gone-too-soon Nick).

I'm ready to see Jordan or Ryan voted out tomorrow night, not sure on the guys' side. I used to dislike Jess but he has toned down his personality and shown a lot of talent over the season. There's so much talent left whoever gets voted out will make me sad!

Can't wait to hear what all-stars are coming back on tomorrow night's show!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree, I think Nick left way too early, he was impressive I thought, and definitely had that charm factor for me.

I think Marko is kind of adorable, he has a that shy, sweet persona going with his romance books. Seems like a genuinely humble kind of guy. And I totally though he and Melanie had a budding romance until the boyfriend announcement, haha, I mean, compared to the other couple they seemed so much more touchy feely and intimate with each other even when they weren't dancing.

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Melanie is my favourite since her first audition, and routine after routine, she has yet to disappoint. Love her! She and Marko are such a great partnership. I'm both excited and scared to see what happens when they are split up!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
TONS of Emmy nominations today for the SYTYCD team. Choreography nods for Mia, NappyTabs, Mandy Moore, Stacey Tookey and Travis Wall ... PLUS ... FINALLY ... host nom for Cat!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
decodelighted|1310674319|2969033 said:
TONS of Emmy nominations today for the SYTYCD team. Choreography nods for Mia, NappyTabs, Mandy Moore, Stacey Tookey and Travis Wall ... PLUS ... FINALLY ... host nom for Cat!

FINALLY! I have a giant crush on Cat...she's the best! I loved her dress last night!

Okay, so speaking of Mia Michaels, where is she this season? She hasn't choreographed anything yet, has she? I don't keep up with the gossip so I'm not sure what happened with her not being on the judging panel this year AND apparently not choreographing anything.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I was really glad when Jesse Tyler Ferguson mentioned that Cat should get an Emmy nomination, I absolutely agree. I'm so glad she was finally nominated. I do have a crush on Phil from TAR, but c'mon, Cat hosts a 4th of July party for the contestants at her house. She's the best host ever! I refer to her as "My best friend Cat".

I miss Mia as well, both as a judge and a choreographer. I've liked the last couple of past guest judges, though. Jesse was great last night and I loooved seeing Travis as a judge. More of them and less Carmen Electra, please!

Oh, and Deco, I loved Danyelle (?)--she was amazing. They really hit the jackpot that season.

And I agree about Nick, I loved him this season and he got booted so quickly. I admire the tappers, so I have a soft spot for them.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Eh, I'm happy to see more new faces. Mia was getting a little CLOYING toward the end there. And once she had it in for that one male dancer & tanked him week after week .... grrrrrrr.

WHO WILL THE ALL STARS BE???? I read today that Chelsie Hightower is coming back (temporarily -- she'll still be on Dancing w/the Stars ALSO.) Whooooo .... Whoooooo......

Last nights lightbulb dance was amazing. Even though I'm not totally in the tank for Melanie or Marko. Lets all agree to stop dancing about north african refugee child slave warriors or what have you. ACT all you want about it. But No. More. Dancing. about it. Kay?

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also, can someone explain the Bollywood category to me? I mean if we were to play that old kid game "which of these is not like the others": Ballroom, Contemporary, Jazz, Hip hop, Crump, Bollywood...
None of the judges are bollywood experts either, so I kind of wonder where that came from?

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
i watch the show this season to see what Melanie and Marco will do next! i think that it will be Melanie all the way this season.Loved her since day one.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
decodelighted|1310681325|2969116 said:
Eh, I'm happy to see more new faces. Mia was getting a little CLOYING toward the end there. And once she had it in for that one male dancer & tanked him week after week .... grrrrrrr.

WHO WILL THE ALL STARS BE???? I read today that Chelsie Hightower is coming back (temporarily -- she'll still be on Dancing w/the Stars ALSO.) Whooooo .... Whoooooo......

Last nights lightbulb dance was amazing. Even though I'm not totally in the tank for Melanie or Marko. Lets all agree to stop dancing about north african refugee child slave warriors or what have you. ACT all you want about it. But No. More. Dancing. about it. Kay?

Ha, AGREED. WHY do the choreographers try to do that every now and then? Just...NO! I think a lot of the routines last night were kind of weak.

As for Mia, I didn't like her as a judge at all, but I do like her routines! Although I have to say that most of the other choreographers are great. I'm really loving the Travis Wall routines this season!

Watching the results show now on the DVR...interested to see who goes. I call Ryan and Ricky since they seem to be sending pairs away.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
MakingTheGrade|1310682267|2969129 said:
Also, can someone explain the Bollywood category to me? I mean if we were to play that old kid game "which of these is not like the others": Ballroom, Contemporary, Jazz, Hip hop, Crump, Bollywood...
None of the judges are bollywood experts either, so I kind of wonder where that came from?

I think they threw it in because it's a trend, what with Slumdog Millionaire.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay, TERRIBLE spoiler alert:

NIgel just said that Alex Wong snapped his OTHER tendon and is now set back ANOTHER year. ;( ;( ;( Oh wow...that is just heartbreaking. :blackeye: :blackeye: :blackeye:

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
My fave SYTYCD dancer EVAR is Mark Kanemura. PERIOD. I LOVED his personality. And he seems like he's just a cool dude.

And it doesn't hurt that he seems to be Lady Gaga's favorite male dancer. He's going everywhere with her!

Which makes me wonder if when she comes to judge, if he's going to come play and dance for us!

Lanie

Brilliant_Rock
decodelighted|1310674319|2969033 said:

But none for Sonya? I thought she would have gotten one as well.

Melanie all the way!!!!!! I think she's gonna win!!!

GamerGirl

Shiny_Rock
Ugh, Poor Alex. I was getting SO excited as Nigel was talking about Alex coming as an AllStar -- thinking that maybe we would see a redo of that awesome Alex/Twitch dance. You would have thought that he would have been taking TONS of precautions. But maybe being so concerned about the one leg let the other one get overworked?

I was perfectly happy with last night's results.

+1 to Travis - I love his dances, he seems to balance on that fine line between integrating a story into the dance and still showing off the skills we know (or hope) the dancers have. And he hasn't done a dance about the congo yet that I know of so he gets another +1 for that :Up_to_something:

I'm all for Bollywood every once in a while as a group dance but the pairs dancing it just usually look so underwhelming (except when Katee and Joshue did it)

+1 also to the Lightbulb dance - that was the best of the night I thought. I might have to look up that music too. :appl:

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
FrekeChild|1310696286|2969335 said:
My fave SYTYCD dancer EVAR is Mark Kanemura. PERIOD. I LOVED his personality. And he seems like he's just a cool dude.

And it doesn't hurt that he seems to be Lady Gaga's favorite male dancer. He's going everywhere with her!

Which makes me wonder if when she comes to judge, if he's going to come play and dance for us!

Amen!!!

Mark is my favourite all time dancer from this show. My second favourite is Katee Sheen, and despite what the judges say every year to a few dancers, she was the best girl they've ever had. Her routines were straight-up magic.

GamerGirl

Shiny_Rock
Galateia|1310754076|2969809 said:
FrekeChild|1310696286|2969335 said:

Amen!!!

Mark is my favourite all time dancer from this show. My second favourite is Katee Sheen, and despite what the judges say every year to a few dancers, she was the best girl they've ever had. Her routines were straight-up magic.

+1 . I see tiny bits of Katee's magic in Melanie this year but I'm not sold yet. I actually bought tickets to see the tour Katee's year - with the entire purpose to see her dance live - and she was injured ;(

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results