shape
carat
color
clarity

Sydney Lockdown excitement ….. just kidding…

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sigh, this lockdown is stifling and boring. Two days before lockdown my plumber stripped out the laundry and back bathroom for a Reno. Since then, weeks and weeks now, I’ve had a washing machine and dryer outside on the patio (up on blocks in case it rains) with the contents of said laundry and back bathroom in stacked plastic tubs, 14 of them. So I can’t find anything. Where are the dogs nail clippers? Where are the batteries, double adaptors, bleach, hammer, wire, shoe polish, bug spray, it goes on and on. Grrrr.
The dogs, gawd, Mica isn’t the sharpest tool in the shed. She is used to going in and out through the laundry. Despite the fact it’s been weeks since that area / door has been used, she still stands at the shut door while 3 feet away the glass sliding doors are wide open. So she stands at the closed door crying and so Arya barks to tell me Mica is at the back door. So I have to go out through the glass doors and guide her in through the glass doors. Ten minutes later, whining, Mica is at the inside door to the laundry wanting to go out, while the said glass doors are still wide open.
Here in Sydney all construction and trades were completely halted. Since 1 August home renovations are now permitted IF no one is home (unoccupied premises) or 100% contact free AND the home or tradespersons isnt in or from a HUGE list of suburbs. Yay, our plumber is able to come but his Tiler, no. His 2nd tiler, no, and his third, rarely used tiler No. Sigh. Oh well, it gives me plenty of time to repaint the bathroom and laundry.
So on Saturday I’ve selected and collected my paints, brushes, rollers, drop sheets etc.
Note, while Sydney in supposedly in strict lockdown (no visitors even family to your house, no school, no uni, no going to work in an office unless essential, no gyms, no hairdressers, 10km radius for exercise etc etc) you can go to Bunnings. Bunnings is a mega hardware store. EVERYONE is going to Bunnings. So while I have to speak to my plumber over the phone (with a closed door between us) I can go to Bunnings and mingle with, oh, 150 random people. In fact if my plumber goes to Bunnings, I can talk to him face to face there, but not at home.
Anyhow, Saturday arvo the Plumber rings. While out walking with his wife and young daughter (family group exercise permitted within 10km of home) he comes across a tiler. Literally a random unknown tiler with his van (advertising he is a tiler) on the street. Quick conversation, and yep, we have a tiler. He’s coming tomorrow ie Sunday. So I had to paint my butt off to get it all done by Sunday.
So the tiler and plumber have laid the floor yay.
So I might have a laundry and bathroom by Christmas, fingers crossed. F571630D-63B6-4993-9CCE-95A56F1A5484.jpeg 410D5D68-1636-4AD8-8682-523CBD421FF1.jpeg 9E9D300F-4BCC-4A92-83DD-D6FCDFE5D267.jpeg

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh @Bron357
I hope your lock down starts working soon
Im glad i dont work for Bunnings any more (14 years), they (and mitre 10 etc) were allowed to keep the trade dept (where i worked) open durring our very strict lockdown last year and i just would not have felt safe

We almost had to get a plumber ourselves in durring that time but we were too weary (of catching covid)
It was when Gary was quite unwell too. It wasn't an overly complicated thing but it ment we went without water for two days till Gary felt well enough to rummage through the garage looking for the right thingy

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
Thinking of you @Bron357 and all my PS friends from Sydney. I am currently getting my laundry renovated as well. It was booked for next week but now we're in lockdown lol.

I'm so happy that you're finally getting work done and can have some sense of normality.

In regards to the lockdown, it's so silly that Bunnings is still open. Down in Melbourne, everything is click and collect. No mingling involved.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thinking of you @Bron357! We're back in a snap lockdown here in Vic too. Thankfully Bunnings is online only as @maryjane04 said! My 8 year old is pretty miffed that we are back to remote learning again, but hopefully we will be out of lockdown on Thursday night.

Can't wait to watch your laundry progress!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Bron357 Feeling for you...Remodelling is not a fun task and that's before covid was added to the mix. Hope you are able
to move along and get it done in somewhat of a timely matter!

Reactions: dvj

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fingers crossed for some progress for you! This stuff is such a pain in the butt when it stalls. Good luck with the tiler!

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Lol have you tried putting some of her favourite treats at the sliding door? Give her a treat every time she uses the correct door without coaxing for a week or two. Does she have a favourite rug or something she likes to sit on, can you dump that there too?

For the laundry do you have a shoe rack or something you can dump some essentials onto?

I think to be honest anything you can do to save your sanity, even if it isn't ideal is a good idea at the moment. Finally I think I'd find some wine, probably Dan Murphys is also in full swing along with Bunnings :lol-2: .

beatricecrummles

Rough_Rock
To be honest, I find lockdowns as a way of being productive at home. I'm also planning to renovate our laundry area and to buy a new washer so good luck to us. By the way, just be careful when buying your materials, still practice safety protocols. Excited to see your progress.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
When we had our hard lockdown last year the govt discouraged DIY activity in case it led to a spike in accidents resulting in more pressure on the health system*
We were only allowed to call out tradesmen for very specific tasks like a fridge freezer repair guy was ok, not general renovations

But poor @Bron357, or rather the NSW covid outbreak, just had very bad timing

* we know this to be a real thing because 2 days into lock down we had a tree come down accross the neighbour's fence in a storm and Gary got a nasty puncture wound durring the clean up that required 13 stitches and 3 hospital visits but would have been a lot more nasty if he had not gone to A&E

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Update…..
The wall tiles are going on!
Drama was Mica.
The plumber has the side gate open AND the driveway gate is wide open (so he can get his bits and pieces in).
Mica got out, the laundry door was open and so Mica went down the side of the house and out the side gate.
I had a mini breakdown thinking she’s got out and is now roaming the streets ……. No….. while the driveway gate might be wide wide open, we use the Pedestrian gate when taking the dogs in or out. So Mica was standing at the closed pedestrian gate.
For once I was happy she’s a bit of a dill pickle.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Update…..
The wall tiles are going on!
Drama was Mica.
The plumber has the side gate open AND the driveway gate is wide open (so he can get his bits and pieces in).
Mica got out, the laundry door was open and so Mica went down the side of the house and out the side gate.
I had a mini breakdown thinking she’s got out and is now roaming the streets ……. No….. while the driveway gate might be wide wide open, we use the Pedestrian gate when taking the dogs in or out. So Mica was standing at the closed pedestrian gate.
For once I was happy she’s a bit of a dill pickle.

Oh Mica! She sounds like a total card @Bron357! :lol-2:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you all ok @Bron357

Yes we are all good.
Even though we have been reduced to a 5km travel radius, Bunnings, Flower Power and Officeworks are still within reach as are multiple Woolworths, Coles, Aldi, IGA etc.
Cant see friends or family, have to have a closed door between us and the tiler, but can go and hang around with, oh, 100 random people at Bunnings or Flower Power or Officeworks or Coles or Woolworths or Aldi.
Ridiculous.
Fines are now $5,000 for being naughty (should be also 30 days in jail) so that might encourage better compliance.
I can still see Mum and Dad (just me) because they are vulnerable persons.
Ive had both my shots in any regard (as have Mum and Dad). DH is on wait for Pfizer, I’d rather he got Astra Zennica now. DD will wait for Pfizer (being young and female and a higher risk for blood clots).
on the most EXCITING new, the tiles are being grouted as I type. Woo Hoo.
will post pics later.

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
Your comment about Mica made me laugh! I have a little kitty who we affectionately say everyday “you are the dumbest creature God ever did make”. No brains, all love. Thanks for making me giggle about your little sweetie :)

Your new floors look beautiful. I love that tile! The rest will be lovely when it’s done. I hope things keep progressing for you!

D2B

Brilliant_Rock
Hi fellow Aussies. I am in Regional NSW and in lock down as of yesterday. As a regular weekend visitor to melbourne and occasionally Sydney I am so missing my city trips. Stay safe everyone and here is hoping 7 days for Regional NSW really is 7 days, though I am doubtful lol

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello fellowed jailed Aussies! I'm joking by the way I'm super obedient! I do everything Dr Chant and Gladys tells me to do including not going into multiple shops for groceries!

Anyways, did you guys know you can order frozen Din Tai Fung!!!!!! Contactless delivery!!!! I'm super excited about that because I'm sick of my own cooking.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm in regional Victoria, and we are out of lockdown (for now!). Melbourne is supposed to come out of lockdown on Thursday night, but I'm not terribly hopeful for the poor buggers.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Dandi did we spark your latest round of lockdowns or was it not us?

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
I'm in regional Victoria, and we are out of lockdown (for now!). Melbourne is supposed to come out of lockdown on Thursday night, but I'm not terribly hopeful for the poor buggers.

Yeah I'm not hopeful we're getting out of lockdown this week. If we're lucky, maybe another week afterwards. I've decided to do something productive at home next weekend and cleaning the grout lol wish me luck.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately it only takes one irresponsible or selfish or naive person and we are all up the creek without a paddle.
One issue is so many people are one pay check away from not meeting rent or car repayment or food costs. Even before this, people will still go to work if sick because they don’t want to lose the money from the shift, or worse, their job. Covid can be nasty, have you coughing your lungs up and feeling like (and maybe actually being) on deaths door. Others might have a slight sore throat, not able to taste or smell properly but otherwise perfectly fine, so they go to work. No work, no money.
I felt really sorry for the 3 Mums, with young babies in prams, busted at the park. All 3 were wearing masks but congregations of more than 2 people not from the same household prohibited. These mums with young babies don’t have any access currently to extended family or friends let alone Groups for new mums. So they are suffering, very much alone with their concerns. Seeing another mum out with a Bub just like them…….Hi, can I ask you about sleeping problems? do you have any tips for feeding solids? Do you mind if I vent a little, I know you’ll understand, I’m absolutely exhausted, how about you?
still rules are rules but this is part of why it’s just so hard for some people. My Dad is super super depressed. He has maybe 2 months, or less, or reasonable health remaining and he can’t go anywhere, can’t see anyone, can’t do anything. By time everything opens up he’ll either already be dead if not on his last legs in palliative care AND he wont ever get to see his son and other daughter or the other grandkids because son lives interstate and other daughter lives overseas.
we are not alone facing these types of issues so it is pretty awful for lots of people.

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
That's so sad @Bron357 lockdowns are so hard on everyone financially and mentally. We were lucky last year with jobkeeper so all these "snap" lockdowns are really taking a toll. I feel so sorry for those new mums, especially if it's their first. No mother's groups etc and not having the support would be so hard. I know I might be in that boat in a few months.
I'm sorry about your dad too. I can't imagine his last days being all alone and isolated. It's awful for everyone the longer this continues.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh dear!!! I'm so sorry!!!!

Is this lot of germs from them as well????

I thought maybe it wasn't our fault this time!

No, I think this one is a result of Victorians not adhering to lockdown rules from the previous one :roll2:

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh @Bron357, that is too sad. I'm so sorry for what your dad and family are experiencing.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I feel its redicoulss Bunnings is open to the general public
You need a hard lockdown to get on top of this thing
Please dear Aussies take care stay safe

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry about your dad, that is heartbreaking.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Canberra has joined in the lockdown “fun” obviously couldn’t stand to be left out :rolleyes:despite only having 1 active case on Thursday. It’s now 7 I think but I doubt this lockdown will only last a week regardless. My poor sister is in Sydney and ready to just about jump out the window in despair and the rest of my family (2 sisters and parents) are also in lockdown in regional NSW. Everyone is fully vaccinated except me, soonest appointment I could get was late September! :angryfire: So fed up with this plague upon us…BEGONE COVID-19!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results