shape
carat
color
clarity

Suspicious Minds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rubydick

Shiny_Rock
Came across this one recently and thought I''d share it. Dubya says he''s spying on al Qaeda. Funny how dissidents keep getting caught up in that sharply targeted security net. Remember the lawyer in Portland who had represented terror suspects and then how his fingerprints somehow got mixed up with a mad bomber? ''Member that? We are really wasting our time. With these kinda coincidences, we should really be taking these folks to Vegas to help us all get rich.

BRANDED by James Moore

January 4, 2006

"There are times in which it is easy to be suspicious. We can get to that feeling fairly quickly if we even pay slight attention. I''ve been trying to get over this odd emotion for at least a year. I can''t find any rationale for letting it go, though I want desperately not to have these thoughts.

"This week last year I was preparing for a trip to Ohio to conduct interviews and research for a new book I was writing. My airline tickets had been purchased on line and the morning of departure I went to the Internet to print out my boarding pass. I got a message that said, "Not Allowed." Several subsequent tries failed. Surely, I thought, it''s just a glitch within the airline''s servers or software.

"I made it a point to arrive very early at the airport. My reservation was confirmed before I left home. I went to the electronic kiosk and punched in my confirmation number to print out my boarding pass and luggage tags. Another error message appeared, "Please see agent."

"I did. She took my Texas driver''s license and punched in the relevant information to her computer system. "I''m sorry, sir," she said. "There seems to be a problem. You''ve been placed on the No Fly Watch List." "Excuse me?"

"I''m afraid there isn''t much more that I can tell you," she explained. "It''s just the list that''s maintained by TSA to check for people who might have terrorist connections." "You''re serious?"

"I''m afraid so, sir. Here''s an 800 number in Washington. You need to call them before I can clear you for the flight." Exasperated, I dialed the number from my cell, determined to clear up what I was sure was a clerical error. The woman who answered offered me no more information than the ticket agent. "Mam, I''d like to know how I got on the No Fly Watch List." "I''m not really authorized to tell you that, sir," she explained after taking down my social security and Texas driver''s license numbers.

"What can you tell me?"

"All I can tell you is that there is something in your background that in some way is similar to someone they are looking for."

"Well, let me get this straight then," I said. "Our government is looking for a guy who may have a mundane Anglo name, who pays tens of thousands of dollars every year in taxes, has never been arrested or even late on a credit card payment, is more uninteresting than a Tupperware party, and cries after the first two notes of the national anthem? We need to find this guy. He sounds dangerous to me."

"I''m sorry, sir, I''ve already told you everything I can." "Oh, wait," I said. "One last thing: this guy they are looking for? Did he write books critical of the Bush administration, too?"

[the article continues from there]

Just who is James Moore? He''s an Emmy-winning former television news correspondent and the co-author of the bestselling, "Bush''s Brain: How Karl Rove Made George W. Bush Presidential." He has been writing and reporting from Texas for the past 25 years on the rise of Rove and Bush and has traveled extensively on every presidential campaign since 1976.

Just who else has appeared on this no-fly list? None other than that notorious terrorist, Senator Ted Kennedy.

Think, people, think back. 9/11. What happened after that? Anthrax attacks. Who was targeted? Two Senators, Leahy and Daschle, two people who might be crucial in stopping the passage of the Patriot Act.

Think, people, think back to the next-to-last message from Osama bin Laden. When did it appear? Just prior to the 2004 election. Ask yourself, why? Who did Osama help?

And now look at Osama''s latest missive. This is no idiot. He''s nuts, but he''s no idiot.

Dubya is Osama''s wet dream. Every single action he has taken has played into Osama''s hands. And, sadly for so much of the planet, vice versa. When are we gonna kick both to the curb?

Postscript: For those who wish to research the anthrax issue a bit more, this is an extremely rich vein. Seems that the last time weapons-grade anthrax was used in a similar manner was when an Arkansas State cop was snooping a bit too close at the Mena, AK airport. Barry Seal was running Contra flights out of that airport, weapons down, coke back. Suddenly, the cop received a padded envelope. As he tore it open, a white powder came out. Next he knew, he was suffering from anthrax poisoning.

Guess who was the AK State prosecutor for the Mena district? One Asa Hutchinson. Later appointed to head the DEA. Get it?

Barry Seal eventually was gunned down in a mafia-style hit, shortly after he told his lawyer he was not gonna take the fall for some minor charges involving his Contra activities. He died with the private number of George H.W. Bush in his wallet.

I expect many will now be thinking wingnut. Do yourself a favor. Before you tag me with that label, read Mara Leveritt''s book:

The Boys on the Tracks

I''ve anted up, now I''m gonna raise you. Today, many Americans are familiar with the name Arlen Specter. He is the current chairman of the US Senate Judiciary Committee. He''s the guy that''s been in charge of the Scalito hearings.

Just how many are aware of his previous roles in government? How''d he get his start? Guess what. He was a staff member of the Warren Commission that was responsible for investigating the assassination of JFK in 1963. And how did he contribute? He is credited with invention of the ridiculous theory, today known as the magic bullet theory, that a single bullet struck one man, then suddenly suffered a complete change in direction and displacement, all to hit JFK.

We have to hand it to him. He was given an impossible task. You can just see his handlers: "We don''t care if it''s bulls*&t, if we repeat it enough, the sheep will follow."

Think Hitler, and then, start to be afraid. Very afraid.

The more things change, the more they stay the same...

Momoftwo

Brilliant_Rock
Ah, a conspiracy theorist. Every article written by a so called journalist does not always contain "facts".

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
I'll bet the people who put names on the no fly list just kick back and laugh their arses off when the list comes down from dubya's brain.

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Every article written by a so called journalist does not always contain "facts

So where do you get the true "facts" from mom of 2?

Momoftwo

Brilliant_Rock
It''s like reading something from Oliver Stone or Michael Moore. Everything is a conspiracy and everyone you don''t agree with is evil. It''s called finding mundane, "facts" and making them fit your theory. That doesn''t make any of it the truth, just more propoganda. You could replace most of those names with almost anyone and rearrange a few "facts" about them and make anyone, even a liberal (gasp) look evil. Where exactly did this "article" come from? Obviously whoever wrote it has their own personal agenda.

tanuki

Shiny_Rock
Senator Ted Kennedy on the no fly list was a fact.

That fact alone is proof that playing around with the list is permitted by the people who put names on the list.
That practical jokes are allowed. If you don''t like somebody you can call up and get them put on the no fly list.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/25/2006 8:38:04 AM
Author: tanuki
Maybe because he had too many cocktails the last time he flew.
2.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/25/2006 9:06:51 AM
Author: fire&ice
Date: 1/25/2006 8:38:04 AM

Author: tanuki

Maybe because he had too many cocktails the last time he flew.
2.gif

If alcohol consumption were a factor in whether someone could be an airplane passenger, Air Force One would have been grounded throughout the Bush presidency.

Deb
34.gif

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
I''ll ask again. Momoftwo where do get your "facts" from.
Ya know you sound like a cop on the scene of a traffic accident. "All right people move along, nothing too see here ".

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/25/2006 6:03:52 AM
Author: Momoftwo
Obviously whoever wrote it has their own personal agenda.
everyone has an agenda.....

for some its getting the information out there even if people don''t want to believe it.

movie zombie

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/25/2006 12:18:40 PM
Author: movie zombie

Date: 1/25/2006 6:03:52 AM
Author: Momoftwo
Obviously whoever wrote it has their own personal agenda.
everyone has an agenda.....

for some its getting the information out there even if people don''t want to believe it.

movie zombie
And for some it''s getting the information out there even if people DON"T BELIEVE it.
2.gif
It is not that I choose to "don''t WANT to believe it". I simply don''t believe it.

And Deb, Airforce One is not a commercial liner - hence no "no fly" list. Besides, do the wealthy powerful Senators really fly commercially? Honestly, I wouldn''t think Kennedy would - would he? However, I do recall one Senator or Congressmen a few years back who became a beligerant drunk on an airliner.

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
I am suspicious of all people who are suspicious.

tanuki

Shiny_Rock
If you have seen the parking arrangements at Reagan - Washington National there is a special lot for Congressmen and Sentators (the one with easiest access to the terminal). The airport is probably less than five miles from the capitol where they work. One of the reasons that particular commercial airport stays open despite its proximity to many major landmarks in DC is the politicians and people who work in government find it convenient to catch a flight home.

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rank Amateur:

I am suspicious of all people who are suspicious.

There is some truth to that - but it is not an absolute.

More accurately; a healthy degree of skeptisism is appropriate for most news articles and other publications. People - and reporters - are very good of telling only "part" of the story It often takes some work to investigate the story to determine (as best as you can) what happened and in what context.

As an example there was a case several years ago in the Twin City area where a news orginization reported that the NW Airline maintenance facility had a "huge" error rate in maintaining critical airplane components (this was presented as how unsafe it was to fly NW Airlines).

Minnesota is one of the few states with a "fariness in reporting" board; and the airline protested - and won. While the error rate was indeed as reported - it turns out that NW Airline had one of the industry lowest error rates (which were redily available)- in fact they were the example of how to reduce critical errors and other airlines were studying what NW Airlines did.

An isolated fact by itself almost screams of "lack of context." The best and most heroic acts can easily be reported in such a way to make people look bad or to sway public opinion.

Be carefull out there.

Perry

rubydick

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, Perry. It's really funny, some of this stuff. As a friend of mine remarked last week, this is comedy of the highest art, the intelligent design crowd suddenly wetting their panties about mutations of the bird flu.

But it gets better. We have the conspiracy denialists who see and hear absolutely no evil, but simultaneously are willing to give BushCo a blank check when it comes to "protecting us" against the various Osama/Muslim sleeper cell conspiracies that whirl amidst the cowared American diaspora. Good lord, imagine the damage these conspiracies could do! Don't you know, they are everywhere!

C'mon, are we all rank amateurs?

As my furren-born wife wondered aloud the other night, why do Americans need to watch Comedy Central to see a real interview? Why is it that our TV news personalities ask questions, but ignore the answers? Why is it that only a comedy host (John Stewart) asks follow-up questions based on what a guest actually says?

That said, RA, I'm sure my wife and I are now on the list. So be it. Somebody's gotta stand up to the BS. You've got my address. Use it.

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
You are slipping Richard. You missed the sarcasm in my post and the entire point of Perry''s.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
just because you''re paranoid doesn''t mean they aren''t out to get you.....

see you in the camp, richard.

movie zombie

rubydick

Shiny_Rock
Off to Tucson in a couple days. Hope to see all of you there.

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is an interesting question on this subject:

What does it mean to say a person is paranoid? Isn''t that susposed to mean an "unwarranted" fear. What if the fear is legitimate....

I have had people tell me how paranoid I was many years ago.... when I was being stalked by a guy who had botched his first attempt to kill me and spent hours telling the police that he was going to kill me - after the police accidently botched things so that they could not charge hime with anything (this was before the modern anti stalking laws). In reality - I belive that these people who claimed I was paranoid did not really want to admit the facts in the case - that I was indeed under threat (afterall - these things happen to other people..).

So: There is legitimat fear

There are people who don''''t want to believe the truth about a situation
(because if they did admit it they would have to change what they do)

There is paranoia (people being afraid of something that is not there)

Fear controls more people and affects more outcomes than almost anything else in life.

Remember the great quote: "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself."

I personally suspect that about 99% of the time that this indeed is the case - that most often our fear produces worse results than the actual situation.

But, it''s the other 1% of things that keeps me on my toes... The things we really need to recognize and act on.

How well can we sort them out?

What does it mean to be paranoid....

Perry

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/27/2006 10:33:39 PM
Author: perry
Here is an interesting question on this subject:

What does it mean to say a person is paranoid? Isn''t that susposed to mean an ''unwarranted'' fear. What if the fear is legitimate....

I have had people tell me how paranoid I was many years ago.... when I was being stalked by a guy who had botched his first attempt to kill me and spent hours telling the police that he was going to kill me - after the police accidently botched things so that they could not charge hime with anything (this was before the modern anti stalking laws). In reality - I belive that these people who claimed I was paranoid did not really want to admit the facts in the case - that I was indeed under threat (afterall - these things happen to other people..).

So: There is legitimat fear

There are people who don''t want to believe the truth about a situation
(because if they did admit it they would have to change what they do)

There is paranoia (people being afraid of something that is not there)

Fear controls more people and affects more outcomes than almost anything else in life.

Remember the great quote: ''The only thing we have to fear is fear itself.''

I personally suspect that about 99% of the time that this indeed is the case - that most often our fear produces worse results than the actual situation.

But, it''s the other 1% of things that keeps me on my toes... The things we really need to recognize and act on.

How well can we sort them out?

What does it mean to be paranoid....

Perry
another recent thing i read went along these lines: if you remain calm while those around you are upset/scared/in a panic, you don''t really understand the situation......

movie zombie

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is probably irrelevant to the discussion of social issues, but it is all I feel up to contributing before I go back to bed.

In psychological terms, "paranoia" is the projection of one's own anger onto another person or persons whom one then fears. The underlying emotion is not fear of the other person or persons, but anger at him/them.

In other words, one thinks someone or some group is going to put one down, disparage one. One feels rage against this perceived negativity, then fear of the rage produced.

A real life example: a landscaper goes into a nursery. He feels fear. He fears asking the owner if he can buy an azalea. In other words, the emotion he feels is fear.

In reality, the landscaper has gone into the nursery thinking that the nursery owner may not know him and treat him with respect. He become very angry at the perceived possible rejection. He projects his anger onto the owner and instead of feeling that rage feels fear of the owner.

Deb, going back to bed :)
34.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/27/2006 10:49:08 PM
Author: movie zombie

another recent thing i read went along these lines: if you remain calm while those around you are upset/scared/in a panic, you don''t really understand the situation......

movie zombie
I don''t believe that at all. I think you may understand the situation when you are not in a panic. You can only remain calm & react as such if you understand the components of the situation and challenge them head on. Done it many times.

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Deb:

That is only one aspect of paranoia, and I am not sure if it is the common usage. I do not disagree that in some situations that is what it is. However, I doubt that all, or even the majority, of paranoia is based on anager.

Fire & Ice: I think you have a much better understanding than Movie Zombie.

People are almost always emotional beings - they react to emotion. One of the ways to change a group is to induce fear and panic - and even paranoia into the group. Then the group will change - and often into a predictable direction.

People who understand the process do not panic as much - they try to figure out what is happening.

Interestingly, look at the World Trade Center disasters. Was our nations response and change proportional to the event. If terrorist are such a threat - why havn't we seen a lot of other things - and things that could bring an entire area of the country or even the nation to its knees in a relatively short period of time.

Don't say it can't be done. I've read some of the studies on what to hit where to have huge physicall effects on major parts of the US (these were studies in the mid 80's - and are available to anyone who wants them via the Freedom of Information Act). Of course - none of these targets would directly kill anyone unless someone was by chance there. But they would decimate the economy and lifestyle in the area (and a series of similar attacks could shut down most of the US). However, even without those studies in hand - it doesn't take a rocke scientiest to figure out what to do. This is in fact a common gurrila wartime tactic in most 3rd world wars.

Why havn't we seen a lot more things. Please don't try to tell me how effective airport security and other security measures in the US are - I don't buy it. I know that the most deadly targets to the population in the US are the least protected (and some of the least deadly targets to the population are the most protected).

I believe that in fact these organizations are currently rather small - and have limited capabilities (we destroyed most of their capacity with our invasion of Afganistan). By putting war pressure on their home base of operations the US has largly incapacitated them. yeh they talk - but talk is cheap.

My bigger concern is the fact that most of the US Military spending is not going into the methods and support supplies for fighting the kind of war's we are currently fighting.

One other comment on the World Trade Centers. I remember people running all over that day panicing about it - someone asked me why I was working and I looked up and said - no great surprise that it happened - this was afterall the third attempt on the WTC. I was astonished that only one other person stopped and said - that's right - there were previous attempts.

Now I am not saying that I was not saddened by the event and the loss of life: Just that it was not unexpected - and thus nothing to panic over.

Perry

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/28/2006 11:31:03 AM
Author: perry
That is only one aspect of paranoia, and I am not sure if it is the common usage. I do not disagree that in some situations that is what it is. However, I doubt that all, or even the majority, of paranoia is based on anager.

perry,

You happen to be one of the most rational beings I have encountered on the ''net (although we often seem to disagree), so I won''t try to tease you :).

I gave you the clinical definition of paranoia which, I assure you, is correct. It is not the common usage of the word by a long shot, however! Even clinicians do not bother to decribe the mechanisms of paranoia when they diagnose it. There is really no use for the clinical defenition of "paranoia" in this discussion. I just wasn''t up to defending Jimmy Carter to R/A (in another thread) at 7:00 am.

Deb
34.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
thanks for your evaluation, perry.

eta: for the record, i'm merely throwing out things i've read as food for thought...call it playing devil's advocate. i have not 'voiced' my opinion and until such a time, please do not assume to know what my understanding may or may not be. thank you.

movie zombie

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Suspicious... hmmmmm..... I am NEVER suspicious.... HA Ha Ha.. but if it makes this country safer than I don''t mind other people being suspicious

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results