shape
carat
color
clarity

Surprise Engagement Ring Shopping, HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m helping hubby''s friend pick an engagement ring for his girlfriend, but he has NO IDEA what she wants, and he doesn''t want me to ask her because he wants it to be a total surprise. He''s already asked her if she wants to help him pick out the ring and she said absolutely not, so perhaps she''s not as picky as your average PSer would be. I''m also in touch with her little sister because I got her a job at Northwestern, but he doesn''t want me to say anything to her because he thinks she might leak the surprise.

I''m friends with his girlfriend, so this is what I can tell you: she''s a great dresser, totally up-to-date, loves SATC and all those reality shows, lives in the city of Chicago, and works as an engineer in the suburbs. She wears great jewelry, pretty trendy. She''s really tiny, but I have no idea what her ring size would be--I''m a big girl and I wear a 5.75, so that''s not always an indication.

What would you do? Should we go RB to be safe because really, who DOESN''T love a great RB? But on the other hand I think she''d really love an asscher or square cut emerald because that seems more her style to me. BUT IT''S ALL SPECULATION! I don''t really know!

Help. Please.

somehowcollide

Brilliant_Rock
Haven, you're a doll to help. Aren't you just filled with conflicting 'bouts of anxiety and excitement? I definitely think RBs are safe BUT I, personally, would be very disappointed if I got one. They just aren't my taste. Honestly, based on your description it seems like this girl is sassy enough to appreciate a sparkly fancy. An emerald sounds DEEEE-VINE!

It's really risky but couldn't you just imagine her loving it?

ETA: I love an emerald, but I think other fancies (like littlelysser suggested cushion or asscher) would be a nicer than a round!

littlelysser

Brilliant_Rock
I''m in favor of an asscher or even a cushion?

When you say great jewelry, what do you mean? Clean lines? If you''d describe a couple pieces that she really likes that''d be great!

As much I love the step cuts - and my own ering is an asscher and I LOVE it - they are not for everyone...not a lot of traditional sparkle to them.

But a Cushion has the flash and sparkle and also a bit more of an edge? Just a thought!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you think she''d love an emerald or asscher, I''d go for it and have him get her one! What a fun/scary thing to help with! I would just stress to the boyfriend to make sure to let her know that if she''s not bowled over by the ring to be sure to let her know she can feel free to exchange the ring for something that she is in love with.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
How fun that you are able to help!! I think a RB is a safe bet, have it set in a temporary setting, she can pick what she wants later on. The idea of an Asscher or an EC is great too. She seems like she''s up to date, so they would be awesome for her too. What ever he goes with, I''d keep the setting simple, and let her pick the setting she wants so she can add her own touch. Seems like she''s stylish, and am betting she would love to do that.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Sounds like a fun quest :)

I would be inclined to go the cushion route (with a thin pave band), you get the sparkle but you also get something that is not as traditional.

I could be completely off the mark here though.

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Well, her ABSOLUTELY NOT! makes me think she would really like him (and you, since he''s asked you for help) to pick something that he thinks she''d like. So steer him away from things you think she wouldn''t like, and give him tips on getting the most bang for his buck and what''s in vogue, but I don''t think that necessarily means don''t be creative. If she was worried about not liking her ring, she''d have said so.

claireabelle

Shiny_Rock
I agree that a cushion sits in a sweet little in-between spot.... has the sparkle of a round with an interesting and elegant shape... and if she likes things that are a bit different and stylish I''m sure she''d love a cushion.

If she likes modern and sleek, then emerald or asscher could be the way to go.

Traditional? R brilliant all the way

That being said, though... it''s all quite personal. Any chance of at least finding out what shape she likes then completely surprise her with the setting?

Good luck, Haven. You have fabulous taste in things so I''m sure she will be blown away with whatever you decide! I''m sure her BF will have an opinion, too...which will help you eliminate certain styles/cuts....

D2B

Brilliant_Rock
I would go for a cushion, best of both worlds, sparkle with a little something different. Probably in a simple settin so she can change the setting to suit. whilst EC or Aschers are stunning, they are not everyones style and are therefore more risky. You could always tell her you are looking for a RHR and cant decide between stone shapes and see what she says (or is that too obviouse??)
9.gif

good luck and dont forge to post the ring
35.gif

d2b

scarlet16

Brilliant_Rock
What about other jewelery she has? Can you judge by that (or can he judge by that)? Do you know any of their friends - what types of stones do they have?

I do think a round is "safe" but if she''s as trendy as you''re describing, she probably would want something with a twist.

I think your best bet is take him shopping (at a store with well cut stones) to get an idea of what he thinks she would like - compare the different cuts for him. And make sure he sees a round, cushion, emerald, asscher, and maybe even a pear.

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, fun!
9.gif

You know, I love the idea of a cushion, but I''ve heard that they tend to face up a little smallish for their actual weight. Knowing that, I think I''d go with something that tends to face up bigger so he''s sure to have that "WOW" factor when he gives it to her. I don''t think I''d go with a round, simply because she might appreciate one of the fancy shapes more (from what you''ve mentioned about her). Have you considered a radiant or maybe an oval? Both tend to face up biggish for their weight, and both look beautiful in a wide variety of settings. I agree that he should set it in a very simple solitaire, either white or yellow gold to match whatever jewelry she wears most frequently. Then, let her pick a setting if she chooses to have it reset. Also, I agree that he should stress to her that it''s OK if she wants to trade the stone in, just in case she had a different shape in mind. Have fun shopping, and please come back with pics!!!
31.gif

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
My gut feeling was SJP''s asscher in a simple cathedral-like setting - but honestly, as an EC gal, you gotta REALLY love a step-cut. If she wants her diamond to sparkle, she might not be crazy about how the step cut has a different, a little more understated sparkle. I''d go with a cushion, too - I really don''t think they face up all that smaller. Another idea would be a square or rectangular radiant. Wait...actually, that''s my vote. Square or rectangular radiant. :)

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
This is why I don''t necessarily like the whole "ring shopping without her input" approach.

In all honesty, I would tell him to go either round or princess...stick to the classic stuff. The only reason why is because other shapes are really an acquired taste. Before I saw KittyBean''s emerald, I did not like the shape at all. I thought it didn''t look like a diamond. After seeing hers (and other beauties on PS), I absolutely love it but could you imagine if my guy would have given it to me before I discovered this site
14.gif

Too bad there''s no way of just casually mentioning different stones so she can give her input.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Hmm ... if she''s an engineer and into clean lines and trendy - maybe a beautiful EC solitaire, or my favorite, a 3-stone EC, maybe with a smaller center stone than you would put in a solitaire, if budget is an issue. I LOVE asschers, but they can look small for their size, and after my saga with never beign happy with any of my asschers, I would advise to skip that.

I also like the idea of a cushion, if you think that she wants a sparkly stone, but they give more of a "romantic" rather than "modern" feel.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
THANK YOU for your responses!

Guess what--her bf called my DH and said "Oh, just have Lori call her. She knows it''s coming soon, anyway and she wants to talk to Lori about it." So I called her, introduced her to Pricescope, and we spent some time going through the SMTR Eye Candy folder together. (Maybe I just created another PS addict, too!)

Here''s what I know so far:

She loves radiants and cushions, she really likes three-stone rings with trilliants or traps on the sides, but she also likes pave in the setting too, so we''ll see. We''re going to go try on some rings together, such fun! I compiled a bunch of pictures with my commentary in a Word doc and sent it to her to get her opinion on some things.

She doesn''t like emeralds or asschers, or RBs or princesses--good thing I didn''t bet on any of those! I wouldn''t have gone princess anyway, but I might have suggested an emerald or an RB.

I think she likes the way three-stones make a gradual line up to the center stone from the band, rather than the stone sticking up out of the band with a solitaire, because she also likes cathedral settings. SO, I sent her some pictures of split shanks and split crowns because they have that cathedral-type line with pave, and they''re beautiful.

I was getting really anxious about this after I posted this thread because the pressure started to sink in and I didn''t want a) for her to be disappointed, and b) to have him spend money on something she doesn''t love. SO, I''m really happy that she wanted to talk to me about it, and I''m really excited to have another ring project!

I will, of course, post TONS of pictures of the final product, pending her approval!

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Yay, Haven, that sounds like you will be able to help get the ring of her dreams! I''m so glad you were able to get her input! Have fun, and I can''t wait to see your pictures!
36.gif

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s great she''s now given some input. I think if you''re for the surprise and I''ll love anything that''s given to me camp then you have to truly be prepared for the classic round. Good thing she gave you ideas since she''s not too keen on rounds!

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Ohhh...sounds great, Haven!! Maybe a radiant with traps, or a cushion with half moons? Cant wait to see what she picks!! Good luck!!!
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results