shape
carat
color
clarity

Super Ideal Cut Mined/Lab Diamonds In 5,10,20 Years...

SallyBrown

Shiny_Rock
What will they look like? Will the average consumer be able to see a significant improvement over today’s super ideal cuts? How about PSers?

Just curious. =)2

Last edited:

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Maybe in 20 years we will have AI improved eyesight. Who knows? There may be a time where more fancy shapes become better analyzed and then maximized for highest light return. Consumer demand and economics must align properly to make it a practical pursuit.

SallyBrown

Shiny_Rock
So the pinnacle of RB cutting has been reached?

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This is the kind of impossible to answer question my son asks, generally while I’m on a school run at 8am, with insufficient coffee in my system, trying to parallel park into a space that’s too small, on a steep hill and with an idiot in a 4 by 4 right up my a**e.

Technology can move at light speed. Who on earth knows what knowledge, technology or equipment will be developed over the course of 2 decades that could improve or fundamentally change current processes.

Not to mention that, where diamonds are concerned, you’d also need to factor in future changes in society’s perception of what beauty is in order to answer the question.

Someone in the trade will be able to tell you what new developments are currently on the horizon, but 20 years time..?

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Twenty years is nothing in diamond time. I think the ideal cut will probably not be outdone by then. I can’t imagine how it could be done better. It has been tried as evidenced by a recent post about a super faceted diamond in Asia.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
changes in lighting could drive the ideal back towards oec designs from modern ideal cuts but it will take decades.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We'll all still be paying the debts back that have been created while governments try to show they are 'controlling the virus', so I'm not sure anyone will have any money to buy diamonds in 20 years ;)) :tongue:

LIGemzGal

Shiny_Rock
I feel like it's a combination of trend and personal preference. There will always be those folks who like whatever is considered "classic" and there will be those folks who want whatever is "trending now". If OEC's are trending significantly in 20-30 years then those stones will take off and people who purchased them 20-30 years prior or who still have some in their collection from whenever will see a rise in the value of their OEC stones. If 20-30 years from now an ideal cut stone is considered a "classic" then there will be a small group of people who will gravitate towards that and pay optimally for what they think is a classic (i.e. think "classic car"). Now is there room for improvement on the ideal cut? Probably. We just can't see it yet because the technology to do it has not come about. Hey---who would have thought there would be room for improvement with a cell phone? And along came the smartphone (a phone combined with a computer) that everyone uses! I think there will always be people who want the best of the best, of whatever that thing is. But I also think that there will always be people who will purchase things of lesser quality because they just can't afford the best of the best or they're just trying to save a buck and have affirmed that they just don't need the best of the best. And there's nothing wrong with that either. Personally, I'd love to see how much more fire and sparkle they can pull out of a diamond. I wouldn't be surprised to see that one day we can put holographic images or inscribe messages onto the facets of a diamond without it affecting the clarity, brilliance or luster in any way.

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
id like to see more fancy shapes analyzed and scrutinized to produce super ideal cut quality

i'd like to see laboratory diamonds in fancy shapes to be offered in those super ideal makes as well

i'd like to see more readily available education to the public regarding laboratory diamonds

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
id like to see more fancy shapes analyzed and scrutinized to produce super ideal cut quality

i'd like to see laboratory diamonds in fancy shapes to be offered in those super ideal makes as well

i'd like to see more readily available education to the public regarding laboratory diamonds

I heartily agree. I also hope there will be more standardization of evaluation and general information provided, maybe even that specific to MMD. However, this process will take time, I'm guessing that this will develop of over the next 5-10 years.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results