shape
carat
color
clarity

Super fakes?

Have you seen a super fake in person?

• Yes; I was told it was fake but wouldn’t have known otherwise

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Yes; I saw “tells” but it was still very close and I see how people could be fooled

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • No; I guess I’ve been fooled by all the super fakes I’ve come across

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • I don’t know; luxury brands aren’t my jam so I don’t pay attention

Votes: 11 45.8%
  • Other; I’ll explain below

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all, I’ve seen discussions about “super fakes” happening around the Internet recently (maybe other PSers have seen similar talk on other forums?). And I’d love to hear about PS experiences. I’m not interested in debating the legality, morality, ethics, etc of super fakes; I’m more interested in hearing from jewelry lovers and experts if you’ve ever come across them or have interesting stories to tell.

For the purposes of this discussion, I’m referring to replica items made with high quality materials, often by skilled artisans with intimate knowledge of the authentic pieces, not canal-street/Etsy fashion-jewelry knock offs of branded pieces.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been offered one once by a jeweller . He claims to work for the luxury brand as a workshop and the engravings etc were spot on. I was apalled and never shopped there again. It was 10 years ago and or was a Cartier juc.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I saw a very real looking LV purse today. It would be very hard to tell from the real thing. A long time ago a friend was a flight attendant and regularly went to China. ( she was also Chinese heritage) . She came back regularly with Tiffany knock offs that would pass anywhere but a real Tiffany store.

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
If it's a good super fake, you wouldn't know.
I'm not sure that means much anyways, since I know at least one of the popular design houses outsources their retail work (my friend does work for them).

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Years ago I was very into replica LV bags, mainly for the obtaining the look and fighting the lack of availability here in Sydney. I was besotted by the Multicolour fringe bucket bag in white. It was like a special edition. So I bought one from China. It is a very good replica and I love it.
I have a number of real, more regular pattern bags as they are more available to purchase.
I wouldn’t buy real Cartier jewellery because I think it extremely overpriced and not all that exclusive and I wouldn’t even buy replica in real gold / diamonds. For the money I would have something made just for me.
Furs. I love furs, all mine are vintage and non protected species but I have seen some astonishing real looking synthetic furs. If anyone asks I always say mine a faux, I don’t like to get into arguments with people.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I used to own a super fake Gucci, and didn't even know it was a super fake. My cousin's wife who was a flight attendant gave it too me as a gift for staying with us for a few months (while establishing US residency). I just figured she gave it to me in lieu of rent (which I would not take from her).

A few years later, I tearfully told her my car was broken into at the gym, and the Gucci Purse she gave me was stolen....that was when she told me not to be too sad, because it was not the real deal but a "super fake" AAA grade from China, and she paid about 1/10 the price of the real deal (around $300 vs $3k) for it.

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
I have been offered one once by a jeweller . He claims to work for the luxury brand as a workshop and the engravings etc were spot on. I was apalled and never shopped there again. It was 10 years ago and or was a Cartier juc.

Yikes! That’s uncomfortable. I’ve seen many Cartier/Tiffany/VCA copies at small jewelers, but never something with branding and stamps trying to pass for the actual item.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results