shape
carat
color
clarity

Super Bowl dilemma - what would you do?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

icefisher

Rough_Rock
Here''s a situation I''m puzzling over: I live near Detroit, where Super Bowl XL will be played on Sunday. Last week I got an email from a friend who works for an NFL team (a REAL team, not the Lions). Each team gets a bunch of tickets to give to sponsors, etc, and frequently some are turned back in at the last minute. Did I want to be on the waiting list if that happens? "The Super Bowl''s quite a sight, you should see it if you never have," he said (though he''s not going this year). Yeah of course, I said, put me on the list, definitely.

So now I''m sleeping with my cellphone the next few days, waiting for a call that may or may not come, telling me I have the privilege of shelling out $600 apiece for 1 or 2 game tickets.

My dilemma: If lightning strikes and I get tickets, do I go to the game or sell them? On the one hand, my friend thought of me because it''s an event and a spectacle and he wants me to see it. (We''re in one of those fantasy football leagues with a bunch of friends from college, so he knows I like football). On the other hand, people are getting $6,000-$10,000 for a pair of tickets on ebay (hypothetically of course since scalping is illegal in Michigan). And with kids and braces and Catholic school tuition, man that is a whole lot of (hypothetical) $$$ to leave on the table.....
emsmilep.gif

At this point I think I know what I''ll do if I do fall into tickets, but what would you do? Go the game, or cash out???
emotion-40.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
that''s a fun dilemma! here'' hoping you get a chance to make that decision
emthup.gif

i''d go to the game.
2.gif

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
As much as my husband and I like the stillers, I think we''d give em to my dad and brother.

Dee Jay

Shiny_Rock
First of all, I grew up in Pittsburgh, so my answer might be colored by envy that you have the opportunity to see the Steelers win yet another Super Bowl *in person* while I am sitting hundreds of miles away in front of a TV (although I will be warmer and more comfortable, and my beer will be cheaper), but honestly I think you should either go (if the opportunity presents itself) or turn down the tickets. If your friend wanted to give you several thousand dollars, he could just write you a check. But I think his motivation is to have to enjoy the spectacle, not enrich your pocketbook.

(Sorry if that''s not the answer you''re hoping for--and if you do take the tickets and cash out you MUST use the profits to buy jewelry!)

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/1/2006 9:26:26 AM
Author: Dee Jay
If your friend wanted to give you several thousand dollars, he could just write you a check. But I think his motivation is to have to enjoy the spectacle, not enrich your pocketbook.
EXCELLENT ANSWER.

GO STILLERS!

icefisher

Rough_Rock
Yeah that''s my strong inclination at this point, to go if the call comes in. Catch the spectacle, Welcome Home Jerome....

I already asked my dad if he wanted to fly up from Fla. for the weekend if I get them but he said thanks anyway; years of watching bad Lion football I think have left him scarred. So my next dilemma would be whether to ask one of my brothers or one of the 3-4 diehard Steeler fans I know here in town. Cross that bridge if needed.

Ame, it''s crazy Steeler fans like you & your DH & dad & brothers that have bid the price up; you''re everywhere! I went into a sporting goods store the other night and they had racks & racks of Big Ben jerseys right there at the front door; poor Joey Harrington relegated to the far back corner, on clearance.

Btw if anyone''s planning on driving here from Pa. be forewarned, an article in the paper today announced that the Ohio Hwy Patrol is adding extra troopers on the turnpike...."No we are not punishing Steeler fans as they pass through, we just want to keep traffic moving safely...."
face20.gif
face20.gif
emfist.gif

Caribou

Brilliant_Rock
I live near Detroit too and I am staying clear of that city for the next week. Too many freakin'' people!
20.gif

If I were you, I''d sell them...well I''d actually give them to my FI, so he could take his brother or a friend of his.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/1/2006 9:57:10 AM
Author: icefisher

Ame, it's crazy Steeler fans like you & your DH & dad & brothers that have bid the price up; you're everywhere! I went into a sporting goods store the other night and they had racks & racks of Big Ben jerseys right there at the front door; poor Joey Harrington relegated to the far back corner, on clearance.

Btw if anyone's planning on driving here from Pa. be forewarned, an article in the paper today announced that the Ohio Hwy Patrol is adding extra troopers on the turnpike....'No we are not punishing Steeler fans as they pass through, we just want to keep traffic moving safely....'
face20.gif
face20.gif
emfist.gif
Nothing shocking there...I love that now all the sudden cops are going to monitor the pike. I drove the Ohio (and PA) pikes all the time, I think in the two years I drove the Ohio pike I saw a total of 2 cops, and they were at the scene of a wreck near the exit for Six Flags.

I don't live in PA anymore, Im back home in STL, but I remember the INSANE Stiller psycho freaks in the 'burgh a few years back when it was the Pats, the Rams (who SUCK), the Stillers and the Eagles in the last round before the superbowl. I believe the Stillers lost to the Pats and the Iggles lost to the Rams and the rams lost the bowl...and a lot of Pgh fans who knew I was from STL flipped out on me. A few people damaged my car at work...as if I had something to do with the stillers losing...I don't remember the Rams beating the Stillers first off but jesus.
So..if the stillers lose, everyone watch out for your stuff.

pebbles

Brilliant_Rock
If it were me, since I love football, I would go, no matter who is playing. I agree that your friend thought that you would want to go; he might get mad if you sold the tickets for a profit -- he could have done the same thing himself if he wanted to.

I had a chance to go to a Chicago Bears playoff game many moons ago. I was in college and had a final exam the next day. I didn''t feel like making the 3 hour drive to go to the game then drive back 3 hours the same night, not to mention it was freezing out. I so wish I had gone! To this day I still kick myself for not going - especially since I would have gone with my dad, who is now deceased. He wound up taking my cousin instead.

aphisiglovessae

Brilliant_Rock
If it were me, I would go for the bragging rights. Super Bowl tickets are HARD to come by and I've heard of people being on waiting lists for years! Most people will never get the opportunity to see such a big event and you were lucky enough to have that chance! I LOVE football, so it's a no brainer for me!

ETA: If you sold them and your friend found out, he might be a little hurt and probably wouldn't think of you the next time an opportunity like this comes up. Just my two cents.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would go to the game. It is a great event and your friend might be hurt if you sold the tickets.

SeattleSparkle

Brilliant_Rock
You should buy them and then send them to me!!! (Seriously, they''d be the perfect birthday present for my bf!) I want tickets SOOOOO bad. (Nevermind thinking about airfare and hotel ...)

I want to see my Seahawks win their very first SuperBowl!! Go Hawks!!

icefisher

Rough_Rock
Yes, good reasons all. I don''t think he could sell the tix himself because I think the NFL has rules about employees doing that, but you''re right, he''d want me to go.

Another reason to attend is to see my 17-year-old niece, who''s among the 2,000 or so locals who''ve been recruited to act like "fans" down on the field at halftime for the Rolling Stones. Pretty comical, a bunch of high-school seniors wondering who these old craggy-faced British guys are & what''s the big deal.....
24.gif

Trucking people in to play fans, to entertain actual fans...only in America, only at the Super Bowl!
27.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/1/2006 1:20:55 PM
Yes, good reasons all. I don''t think he could sell the tix himself because I think the NFL has rules about employees doing that, but you''re right, he''d want me to go.

Another reason to attend is to see my 17-year-old niece, who''s among the 2,000 or so locals who''ve been recruited to act like ''fans'' down on the field at halftime for the Rolling Stones. Pretty comical, a bunch of high-school seniors wondering who these old craggy-faced British guys are & what''s the big deal.....
24.gif

Trucking people in to play fans, to entertain actual fans...only in America, only at the Super Bowl!
27.gif
What a riot!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well since I''m not a football fan, I''d sell em!! And buy diamonds of course with the profits.
9.gif

But DJ has a good point re: the friend wanting you to SEE the game and experience it, and that is why he asked you if you wanted to be on the list. If you think he''d be hurt or offended if he found out you sold them..then I''d either decline them, or if you do get them, go to the game.

If it was just a random occurrence that you ended up with them (aka someone couldn''t go and didn''t want the money for selling them and just gave them to you) then selling them may not be an issue, but if it could cause any drama between you and this friend or you and your conscience, then I''d either go to the game or politely decline them. Good luck!!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
as stated above: your friend offered you tickets to attend an event; he did not offer to write you a check.

if you have a problem spending $$$ on yourself given your other expenditures, call him and tell him to take you off the list. end of problem

movie zombie

icefisher

Rough_Rock
Hmmm, interesting take Zombie, though the issue isn''t really me "having a problem spending $$$ on myself given my other expenditures."

It''s more the curiosity created by having something (maybe) drop into my lap that I certainly can pay for, but that others will just as certainly pay a lot more for. And then paint themselves up green and blue, or black and gold......

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/1/2006 9:29:17 AM
Author: ame
Date: 2/1/2006 9:26:26 AM

Author: Dee Jay

If your friend wanted to give you several thousand dollars, he could just write you a check. But I think his motivation is to have to enjoy the spectacle, not enrich your pocketbook.

EXCELLENT ANSWER.

GO STILLERS!

AME,
ok, i'm sure i'm missing something, but from this bengal loving buckeye who grew up watching the steelers play twice a year, why do you call the steelers, the "stillers"??
1.gif

Spartan

Shiny_Rock
You know, my first inclination would be to sell them.

But I thought it over and decided that, after living in the MetroDetroit area my entire life and going to school in the City, I''ve never seen it as anything other than a complete sh*thole. Now that it''s been cleaned up and has a nice shiny coat of paint over it, it might be nice to actually SEE it before it goes back to the way it was.

Just my .02.

Sparkster

Brilliant_Rock
You friend is giving you an opportunity to attend the Superbowl. His intention was not to give you an opportunity to profit from it.

Personally, I hate scalpers. Tickets for U2 recently went on sale in Australia with a limit of 8 per transaction. I missed out on tickets because people were buying 8 tickets and then selling them on ebay for a profit. Genuine fans miss out or have to pay huge prices because of scalpers. I hope the scalpers on e-bay can''t off load their tickets and end up making a loss!! If ever I have to sell a ticket because I can''t attend, I always sell the ticket at cost price - no ifs or buts. I know this sounds harsh but there have been so many events I''ve missed out on because of scalpers.

In the end I was very lucky because U2 announced a second show and I managed to get tickets to that one before it sold out.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Go to the Superbowl. Money can not replace an experience.

Edited to add: Good luck w/ obtainin the tickets & Go STEELERS!

esguy27

Shiny_Rock
This one is easy...sell them!!!!

icefisher

Rough_Rock
Today''s the day, phone''s gonna ring, I can feel it....some VIP''s gonna roll out of bed somewhere, hear 4 inches of snow forecast for Detroit and think, "Nahhh...."

Yessir, today''s the day.

(fingers drumming)

littlelysser

Brilliant_Rock
First thing -

GOOOOO STEELERS!!!!! I love ''em so much. In fact, I''m currently wearing a gold sweater with a black skirt. Hehee.

Anyway, I would go to the game for the reasons listed above.

And Mrssalvo - For whatever reason, folks in western pa have an accent and often times instead of sounding like they are saying Steelers it sounds like Stillers...yet another quirk of the this funky little town!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is a really stupid Q but I don''t watch football at all so when is the big game? Typically we TiVo it just to see the commercials, lounge around on the couch for an actual reason, and eat some unhealthy food!
5.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s on Sunday, but not sure what time??

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh THIS Sunday....!! Wow that''s so soon. I better get to the store for some unhealthy treats.
9.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
first post: "Here''s a situation I''m puzzling over: I live near Detroit, where Super Bowl XL will be played on Sunday. Last week I got an email from a friend who works for an NFL team (a REAL team, not the Lions). Each team gets a bunch of tickets to give to sponsors, etc, and frequently some are turned back in at the last minute. Did I want to be on the waiting list if that happens? "The Super Bowl''s quite a sight, you should see it if you never have," he said (though he''s not going this year). Yeah of course, I said, put me on the list, definitely. So now I''m sleeping with my cellphone the next few days, waiting for a call that may or may not come, telling me I have the privilege of shelling out $600 apiece for 1 or 2 game tickets.My dilemma: If lightning strikes and I get tickets, do I go to the game or sell them? On the one hand, my friend thought of me because it''s an event and a spectacle and he wants me to see it. (We''re in one of those fantasy football leagues with a bunch of friends from college, so he knows I like football). On the other hand, people are getting $6,000-$10,000 for a pair of tickets on ebay (hypothetically of course since scalping is illegal in Michigan). And with kids and braces and Catholic school tuition, man that is a whole lot of (hypothetical) $$$ to leave on the table.....At this point I think I know what I''ll do if I do fall into tickets, but what would you do? Go the game, or cash out??? "

then

Date: 2/1/2006 3:05:49 PM
Hmmm, interesting take Zombie, though the issue isn''t really me ''having a problem spending $$$ on myself given my other expenditures.''

It''s more the curiosity created by having something (maybe) drop into my lap that I certainly can pay for, but that others will just as certainly pay a lot more for. And then paint themselves up green and blue, or black and gold......
i think the important missing link that i failed to pick up is your last line in your first post: ''At this point I think I know what I''ll do if I do fall into tickets, but what would you do? Go the game, or cash out??? ''

ok, i''d definitely go to the game! i have absolutely no interest in the game: i''m a rolling stones fan.

movie zombie

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results