shape
carat
color
clarity

Super Bowl 2016

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Do you plan to watch the Super Bowl? I'm hoping there will be some great commercials that we can hopefully share. :appl:

Lady Gaga will perform the national anthem. Coldplay will lead the halftime show.
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/02/05/who-is-performing-super-bowl-50

I have just been asked to bring dessert for the party we are going to. They are serving Gumbo and seafood related dishes. I'm at a loss as to what kind of dessert would go well with seafood. :wall: It's pretty short notice so I'm not sure if purchasing something would be a better option? :confused:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Key lime pie, of course.

Sorry, that is a bit of a PS inside joke here. When things get heated in certain threads (in case you don't know, forgive me for explaining this if you already do) sometimes it devolves into "here have some pie" and people start posting pics of pies. In the past some have argued (in a friendly way) over whether lemon or key lime pie is better. I am a key lime fan.

Anything citrus-y goes well with seafood! If you like to bake you could make lemon bars, lemon cupcakes, etc. If you have a Pinterest account there are about a million ideas on there.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really dislike football. I won't be watching the game.
My DH will be watching, and he will call me in for the musical interludes.
Lady Gaga :tongue: may be wearing something weird.
I do like Coldplay, and will be interested in seeing them.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
2 quick and easy desserts that would go well with almost anything.

Buy an angel food cake mix and a large can of crushed pineapple. Mix them together (don't drain the juice) and bake at 375 in a 9 x 13 pan until cake is done about 30 minutes.

Dump cake is another one. Yellow cake mix, a can of cherry pie filling and a can of pineapple. Mix the cherries and pineapple (again don't drain the juice) together in bottom of 9 x 13 pan. Sprinkle cake mix on top. Melt a cube of butter (I usually use about a cube and a half) and pour on top. Bake at 375 for about 30 minutes.

Marcy

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
stracci2000|1454728040|3987518 said:

Want to meet for drinks during the game???

I don't hate football, but can't see myself actually watching the game itself.
I guess as an American, I get a kick out of the hoop-la that surrounds the game itself.
I live on the west coast, so I may just go shopping during the game. I'm thinking the mall should be quieter than usual, unless all the other non-fan go, too.

Puppy bowl is always fun to see. And, the commercial, of course, but any really good ones will be replayed on the morning news shows the nest day.

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
monarch64|1454726799|3987503 said:
Key lime pie, of course.

Sorry, that is a bit of a PS inside joke here. When things get heated in certain threads (in case you don't know, forgive me for explaining this if you already do) sometimes it devolves into "here have some pie" and people start posting pics of pies. In the past some have argued (in a friendly way) over whether lemon or key lime pie is better. I am a key lime fan.

Anything citrus-y goes well with seafood! If you like to bake you could make lemon bars, lemon cupcakes, etc. If you have a Pinterest account there are about a million ideas on there.

Great idea! I will check Pintetest to see what I can find. I seem to remember seeing some sort of mini key lime pies on Pinterest. :appl:

Thanks for the explanation on PS pie references. I've seen pie comments pop up occaisionally and and wondered about it. :lol: I just want to go on the record as an official Key Lime Pie fan! :wavey:

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock

I think a lot of people enjoy the music & commercials more than the actual game. It's great that your DH will let you know when to come in. I normally get tied up helping in the kitchen. My DH always forgets to tell me when the halftime show is starting. :wall: I think Coldplay should be pretty good! :appl:

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
marcy|1454728082|3987520 said:

Buy an angel food cake mix and a large can of crushed pineapple. Mix them together (don't drain the juice) and bake at 375 in a 9 x 13 pan until cake is done about 30 minutes.

Dump cake is another one. Yellow cake mix, a can of cherry pie filling and a can of pineapple. Mix the cherries and pineapple (again don't drain the juice) together in bottom of 9 x 13 pan. Sprinkle cake mix on top. Melt a cube of butter (I usually use about a cube and a half) and pour on top. Bake at 375 for about 30 minutes.

Marcy

Marcy, thank you so much for the recipes! I happen to have the ingredients on hand. :dance: One of these cakes may be a great option! These look super easy and yummy! :lickout:

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
KaeKae|1454736778|3987587 said:

I guess as an American, I get a kick out of the hoop-la that surrounds the game itself.
I live on the west coast, so I may just go shopping during the game. I'm thinking the mall should be quieter than usual, unless all the other non-fan go, too.

Puppy bowl is always fun to see. And, the commercial, of course, but any really good ones will be replayed on the morning news shows the nest day.

I forgot all about puppy bowl! :appl: :appl: :love:

Btw, shopping sounds like a pretty great way to spend super bowl Sunday! :dance:

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Marcy

OK - the angel food cake/pineapple combo sounds delicious (and easy which makes it even more delicious haha). Could you use pound cake instead?

For the dump cake you take the cake mix powder, just as it is, and put all the other ingredients just as you say? (I'm so excited just thinking about how easy this sounds :lol: )

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
rockingruby I never answered your question! (sorry!)

DH will be watching - I couldn't care less...

I might sit with him for a few minutes or so but if there's yelling my cats and I will be in another room ::)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rockinruby said:

I forgot all about puppy bowl! :appl: :appl: :love:

Btw, shopping sounds like a pretty great way to spend super bowl Sunday! :dance:

Me too Stracci. I don't like football at all because I find it too violent. However I do like Coldplay. We probably won't be watching any of it though sometimes the commercials are good. Will catch those another time. I agree it should be interesting to see what Lady Gaga is wearing. ;))

And thank you KaeKae for the reminder about Puppy Bowl. Will definitely watch some of that. Cuteness overload. :bigsmile:

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you guys know there's a Kitty Bowl?

Hallmark Channel.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rockinruby|1454743657|3987609 said:

Marcy

Marcy, thank you so much for the recipes! I happen to have the ingredients on hand. :dance: One of these cakes may be a great option! These look super easy and yummy! :lickout:

If you make one of these Rockinruby I hope you like it. The dump cake is always popular whenever I take it somewhere.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yea I will be watching the game, unless it turns out like super bowl 48 (which I fear it will) at which point I will turn it off, as I really like Peyton, and I'm not interested in seeing him ride that way.

We are having soul and my husband was sweet enough to try a new recipe for cauliflower "Buffalo wings"

I know many here don't like football, but its one of my favorite things. ::)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll be watching!! Carolina completely slipped under my radar this year - I was distracted by Niners in-season drama and Eagles post-season drama :bigsmile:

I'd love to see Manning win (of course 8) ) and if he does... I'll be very curious to see whether he retires with Denver or as a Colt, he's already taken both to the Super Bowl ::)

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I loved loved loved Superbowl 50's America the Beautiful - I think that was my favorite rendition I've ever heard! And, IMHO, Lada Gag hit it out of the park with her Star Spangled Banner.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
marymm|1454888407|3988151 said:
I loved loved loved Superbowl 50's America the Beautiful - I think that was my favorite rendition I've ever heard! And, IMHO, Lada Gag hit it out of the park with her Star Spangled Banner.

Agreed! :appl:

Now onto pizza, wings and nacho's!

cheers--Sharon

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A little nervous for my Panthers. Hoping they can pull this off. Not off to a good start!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HALFTIME! I love that Coldplay incorporated a marching band! And that Beyonce is actually performing on the playing field!

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Huh, as it turns out, there was a robbery at our local mall, at the Ben Bridge's jewelers this afternoon. I don't think I've ever been in there, but just my luck, had I been at the mall, I would have chosen to stop in there for the first time. As far as I know, no one was injured during the incident, but the police had not yet caught the suspects.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
panem et circenses

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rockinruby|1454896931|3988192 said:

Thanks for posting a link - I had missed the opening.

Nicely done. I tend to prefer my Star Spangled Banners sung straight, with more emphasis on the song than on the singer. While Lady G didn't exactly sing it straight, she sung it in such a way that she was telling the story. I think that's one of the more evocative interpretations I've heard. :appl:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yssie|1454885914|3988141 said:
I'll be watching!! Carolina completely slipped under my radar this year - I was distracted by Niners in-season drama and Eagles post-season drama :bigsmile:

I'd love to see Manning win (of course 8) ) and if he does... I'll be very curious to see whether he retires with Denver or as a Colt, he's already taken both to the Super Bowl ::)

I was underwhelmed both by the game itself and the entertainment, but happy to see a win for Peyton. I've been watching him from Indy, Chicago, and back in Indiana again for about 20 years now! Crazy to think he will be retiring soon.

Rockinruby, what did you end up making? I threw together some lemon cupcakes with vanilla buttercream frosting this afternoon before we headed over to a friend's home for the game/party. She served chili and those cupcakes were demolished by halftime. We all had a great time, hope you did, too! :wavey:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Do you mean if he'll go into the hall as a colt or bronco?

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oddly enough, I legitimately lost a friend over the Super Bowl halftime show! :lol:

Not a real friend, an old coworker. But it sparked a lot of interesting conversation in our house!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Karl_K|1454907784|3988256 said:
panem et circenses

It took the Ancient Romans a really long time to learn English. Just think how much more advanced they would have been if they had known back then that this really meant, "bread and circuses".

Deb
:saint:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
AGBF|1455003282|3988696 said:
Karl_K|1454907784|3988256 said:
panem et circenses

It took the Ancient Romans a really long time to learn English. Just think how much more advanced they would have been if they had known back then that this really meant, "bread and circuses".

Deb
:saint:
rofl

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
monarch64|1454907870|3988258 said:

I was underwhelmed both by the game itself and the entertainment, but happy to see a win for Peyton. I've been watching him from Indy, Chicago, and back in Indiana again for about 20 years now! Crazy to think he will be retiring soon.

Rockinruby, what did you end up making? I threw together some lemon cupcakes with vanilla buttercream frosting this afternoon before we headed over to a friend's home for the game/party. She served chili and those cupcakes were demolished by halftime. We all had a great time, hope you did, too! :wavey:

I'm so glad you had a great time! :appl: I normally look forward to the super bowl parties each year. I tend to see friends & family that I don't normally get to see which is nice. I ended up making a tray of key lime cookies. I debated sprinkling powder sugar on them, but the picture showed them with green sanding sugar. Now for the embarrassing part...I spruced up a box cookie mix instead of making them from scratch. :Up_to_something: (I'm saving the dump cake recipe for my next club meeting) The lemon cupcakes you made sound delicious! Buttercream frosting! Yum!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results