shape
carat
color
clarity

Sunscreen/Foundation

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Hi ladies! I have a question I really need an answer to: I have verrrry sensitive skin, it breaks out into hives when in contact with the sun. Because of this, I have a special sunscreen with titanium in it (I''m a walking jewelry store!), which blocks all rays on my skin. This sunscreen is a godsend, typically used for cancer patients. I even have to get it sent from Montreal! Anyway, because it''s so effective, it also makes me look like Mike Myers from the Halloween movies, VERY washed out and pale. I was always pale, taking my scottish roots and mixing them with my hispanic roots, brown eyes and black hair, but super white skin- but this is way worse.

I was wondering about foundation, would it be harmful to apply foundation OVER the sunscreen? Since there is NOT A CHANCE I could wear no sunscreen, I''d like a little something to help me brighten up. What do you think?

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
Hi Amber! I think you could wear foundation over it. Just let it dry completely before putting on the makeup. Is there a concern of wiping it off when you apply the foundation? Some girls have been talking about spray on foundation, something like air-brush? Maybe that would work to give you a little bit of color with out having to spread it on your skin?

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
Ok, I don't want to sound like an advertisement but it sounds like you'd be a perfect candidate for Bare Escentuals! Their foundations are powders and they are made from all minerals so no issues with clogging pores, etc. You basically brush on as many coats of the powder as you want to achieve the look you are going for. I think if you wait until your sunscreen is completely dry and then try this stuff, you should get a good natural effect. It may be easier than trying to blend in another layer of liquid foundation over your sunscreen. They also have another product that is called Warmth which is like blush but you just brush it on to the areas that would naturally be hit by the sun (nose, cheeks, forehead, etc). You should pop into Sephora and check out their stuff. I'm not guaranteeing you'll love the products but it can't hurt to try!

Edited to add that all their products have SPF 15 so it would be an extra layer of protection too!

Rebemdee

Shiny_Rock
I wear Oil of Olay SPF 15 sunscreen daily, so I just put it on and then wear Bare Escentuals over it, and have never had a problem. I wonder if together they give me a SPF of 30????
3.gif

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
Oh ya! Powder would be a great option. I''ve never tried the new mineral kind of makeups, but I would really like to! Even a light powder bronzer would give you color. I love my bronzer, I think it''s just something from Neutrogena. But it gives me a quick hint of sun!

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Thanks all you guys! I knew I''d find some help somewhere- I think I will try that Bare Escentuals stuff, I''ve heard so much about it here. I hope it works, I am so sick of looking-well, sick! Thanks for the advice!!
36.gif
36.gif

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
You should be able to put foundation over it.

I love www.paulaschoice.com Great products. Paula Begoun sells foundation with spf 15 titanium dioxide sunscreen. Kills two birds with one stone.

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
oooh, thanks, Vegas Angel! You arrrre an angel!

Scintillating

Brilliant_Rock
Hey Amber-
What kind of sun screen is it that you're using?
Have you tried La Roche Posay's Anthelios sunscreen? Has anyone?
It's supposed to be great - perfect for people like us. I'm dying to try it.
It's tough to get though, it's sold widely in Europe, and mainly on the internet in the US. (Ebay is a good place to buy it.)

I would *NOT* recommend Bare Essentials make-up for someone as sensitive as you are. It contains Bismuth Oxychloride which can make people with sensitive skin itch!!! I suggest you try a different mineral foundation like Everyday Minerals, which only contains Mica, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxide, Zinc Oxide. Mineral makeup is nice because it provides some sun protection all on it's own.

Scintillating...

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Scintillating, I use um... L''oreal''s Ombrelle, SPF 60. I guess the term for what I "have" is intolerance to the sun, I''m sun-intolerant.
29.gif
Caem out of nowhere, but now it''s a triple daily thing, applying sunscreen. It''s also hard to get, and expensive, but it''s what works. The doctors couldn''t figure out what was wrong, they thought I had lupus at first, but then when they did MORE testing (biopsy included), they still couldn''t figure it out. So, I just have to live day to day looking like something that died.
1.gif

selflove

Brilliant_Rock
Amber--I do the same thing as you: lots of sunscreen that makes my face very pale, practically snow white! But I use a tinted moisturizer over it (Cover Girl) and that''s enough color to make me look "alive". I haven''t used foundation in about 16 years (except for my wedding days) but I''m sure that would work too, it''s just heavier than tinted moisturizer.

AND, I just read in Self magazine that an SPF of 15 mixed into foundation is effective if you plan to spend about 20 minutes in the sun. !!!!!!!!!

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
Ooo! I''ve heard of the mineral makeup powder blush route from my mother. She''s a Specialized Kinesiologist (think along the same lines as a Nautropathic Doctor) and actually makes skincare products with her esthetican friend because her friend couldn''t find anything up to her high standards. So she asked my mother for input, and they came up with some really amazing stuff. My mother has unbelievably sensitive skin, and uses the mineral makeup because it won''t undo all the work she is doing on it via her skincare stuff.

Apparently, the mineral makeup can be a real godsend if you have skin problems, because it doesn''t clog anything. I should ask her what company she gets it from, because all her own stuff is organic, etc, and she obviously doesn''t want to add the toxins back into the mix via makeup.

I think the mineral powder foundation over the sunscreen would look fabulous. When my mother wears it, it makes her skin look soft and glowy.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Two thoughts:

Bare Escentuals powder mineral foundation which has a natural physical block and should be okay over the screen you use. You will not increase your spf this way, but can compensate for color issues.

Another option is maybe a more cosmetic grade of sunscreen. I know Clinique has one that is in their special line (white packaging) and it is for ULTRA sensitive skins. They talk about it on their website, I think it is the CX line. It is a 40 spf and is a titanium block as well, I think. It is more finely milled though so it has more a creamy texture, rather than a thick one that is occlusive. I think now with higher SPF's they can make the more fluid and less thick, which in the old days was tougher. They also make City Block, an oil free one for sensitve skin, that also can be worn alone or as a make up base...

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/31/2006 2:59:02 PM
Author: Rebemdee
I wear Oil of Olay SPF 15 sunscreen daily, so I just put it on and then wear Bare Escentuals over it, and have never had a problem. I wonder if together they give me a SPF of 30????
3.gif

I think SPF is not cummulative, meaning I think you only get what is on the top layer, not a combined amount!!

IndiBlue

Shiny_Rock
Bare Escentuals is a godsend for me! I''m not really fan of makeup in general- don''t have the time, nor do i like the look of heavy coverage (in the normal sense)....

I use Neutrogena Moisturizer with Alpha Hydroxy & SPF 15, then apply a bit of power to even out my freckles, put a bit of bronzer on my cheek bones, then go! I LOVE IT!

Might be good for you Amber- Won''t leave your face feeling heavily caked with Makeup and Suncreen, but will give you color your seeking.

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Thanks so much everyone! This sunscreen just sucks, but I HAVE to wear it! We''re going to Disneyland in a few weeks, and since it''s already mid 80s here, I''m afraid it''ll be mid 90s when we go (CR-AP!), so I''d like something to "less-deaden" my skin. I''m going to look around and see what I can do. Thanks!

honeybee

Rough_Rock
I was wondering if you'd tried a self tanner, maybe even something like a mystic tan (spray on tan). My mom tried a mystic tan, and she is notoriously sensitive (ie breaks into hives if someone w/ the wrong perfume even stands next to her) and she did just fine. It would help to give you a bit of color. Another option is a good make self tanner lotion specifically for the face. If you want something less risky than the straightout self tanning lotions, i've heard good things about Jergen's Natural glow, its like a gradual self tanner , supposed to work pretty well. otherwise, mixing a good liquid foundation in w/ your sunscreen should work just fine, i've done it before as a time saver, and it worked out fine. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results