shape
carat
color
clarity

Sun Hat?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

aprilcait

Brilliant_Rock
I''m look for a sun hat to wear on our upcoming vacation. I''m thinking a summery fedora along these lines: http://www.amazon.com/Womens-Element-Monte-Fedora-Natural/dp/B0026863SW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=apparel&qid=1239814718&sr=1-1. I''ve checked out Target but those hats are ginormous for my head... I''m not sure if it''s that my head is freakishly small or if the hats are oddly large. I''m tempted to buy online but a lot of hats say "one size" with no actual size indication. Any ideas of where to look for a hat?

fedora.jpg

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i own a lot of hats. one size all does not mean it will fit your head. much depends on how you wear your hair, too. while stylish, this hat is not appropriate as a "sun" hat in that it does not have a large enough brim to properly protect your face.

mz

ps i''d never buy a hat i had not tried on. i''ve found not only does one size fits all mean that the hat may be too big or too small, it may also not look good on me. i do think its a lovely hat, but its not going to give you much protection while you''re stylin''

aprilcait

Brilliant_Rock

Thanks for your input, MZ!

I''m trying to figure out a hat that shades my face a bit because I tend to get a couple melasma splotches - sun induced brown spots - on my forehead and upper lip. I''m aiming for something that isn''t big or floppy as 1) I''ll have to pack it in a suitcase and 2) I''m not sure I''d look right in a big hat. Any ideas on styles?

laine

Brilliant_Rock
I have a bucket hat that I wear when I want some shade from the sun. Mine is linen and doesn''t have the little eyelets on the sides, so it looks a little nicer. It''s not super stylish, but it works for me. I like that its floppy because I can just toss it in a bag without worrying about messing up the brim, and I like that it shades my neck in the back. Though if you need serious sun protection on the lower part of your face, a big floppy hat might be your only option. And I second the no buying hats you can''t try on. I have a small head and face, and it seems like most hats look ridiculous on me.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
well, i hate to say it but given you''ve got those sunspots on your face, you really do need to be extra cautious which means a minimum of a 3 inch brim and better yet a 4 inch brim. i''ve seen hats that are definitely not floppy that meet the 4 inch brim criteria which i believe is the recommendation for cancer prevention. i have one and it wasn''t that expensive. i find hats in the oddest places and always get compliments on them. don''t discount garden centers [even OSH] and other untypical stores. i added a small flower to one that was part of a wedding table display and it never fails that i get asked where i bought the hat. there are also hats that can be rolled for travel [panema hats and others] or you could wear it on the plane. another thought: buy one there. i''ve done that also.

http://www.coolibar.com/4inchbrimhats.html

love the sedona hat.....but, again, i would not buy a hat online as it would be a big mistake, imo. i like the chin strap also as it helps keep the hat in place if there is a breeze. i''ve had it added to other hats that didn''t have it when purchased.

we are blessed in santa cruz to have a real hat shop!

mz

aprilcait

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the input, Laine and MZ! I''ll keep an eye out in stores and see what I stumble across.

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
I like the hat you linked to, but it won''t do much about the sun. J Crew sells a real beach hat with a 4-6in brim. It comes in tan or black and is malleable and cute in a mid 50''s way. Apparently it also now comes in pink.

aprilcait

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, Mercoledi! I''m really hesitant about the whole floppy/big brim hat idea. I''ve tried them on before and I don''t look quite right in them. I kind of feel like I''m playing dress-up. I LOVE them on other people though... just not me.
1.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
too floppy for my taste, too. however, one could add a different band and/or chin strap....or a band and add some flowers or something [fruit] and perhaps the floppiness [is that a word] wouldn''t be so noticeable.

mz

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results