shape
carat
color
clarity

~Summer Reads~

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ivanadiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Read any good books lately that you would recommend?

I just finished Sophie Kinsella''s, The Undomestic Goddess...and wasn''t too impressed. I loved her Shopaholic books though-

Buena Girl

Brilliant_Rock
I read Romantic Fiction by Melaine La'Brooy. I actually laughed out loud a few times which is rare for me. Anyone who loves the t.v. shows Friends or Coupling would probably like ths book.

I also read books from the nerd series by Vicki Lewis Thompson . Great beach reads!! I thought The Nerd Who Loved Me was the best. Gone With the Nerd just came out this month, and I thought it was good but a bit slow paced until the last third of it.

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
We had this thread a while ago with recommendations:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/what-are-you-reading.29874/

Lately I don''t have too many recommendations, recently read Kite Runner and then I enjoyed Something Borrowed & Something Blue in the more girly reads categories. I heard the same thing about Undomestic Goddes...it is going to be a library book for me.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Some books I read recently:

1. Middlesex - very good, interesting fictional plot
2. The Kite Runner - also very good, kinda sad
3. The Wedding - author Nicholas Sparks of "The Notebook" fame...this is the sequel

ivanadiamond

Brilliant_Rock
I will check out the other link, thanks! And also pick up some of your suggestions, thanks ladies~

Patty

Ideal_Rock
I loved The Time Traveler''s Wife. I read it in two days and loved every bit of it! (Michelle didn''t like it on the other thread.)

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just read Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister...I love the Gregory Maguire books! I''m reading Mirror, Mirror now. Read Wicked in the spring..loved it! I want to see the show as well.

I also read one of the Nerd books this spring...wasn''t super impressive, really slow until the end...I don''t remember which one it was.

Other than that I am also reading ''What Dogs Think''...trying to gain some insight as to what my white rat is thinking as she cocks her head and stares at me. If anything that is...other than ''food?'' or ''walk?''?
2.gif

ivanadiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Why Mara...

You know she''s thinking, "Woof, those diamonds are just blinding, when will I get a bling collar to match!"

ruby%20diamond%20dazzle.jpg

ivanadiamond

Brilliant_Rock
or maybe she would prefer something like this:

crystal%20princess.jpg

ivanadiamond

Brilliant_Rock
oh no neither pics showed up, darn!

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/31/2005 5:40:37 PM
Author: Mara
I just read Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister...I love the Gregory Maguire books! I''m reading Mirror, Mirror now. Read Wicked in the spring..loved it! I want to see the show as well.
Alright, Wicked has been sitting on my bookshelves for almost two years now and I can''t get into that as much as I''ve tried!! My friend did finish it and said it was worth it though....so maybe I''ll give it one more shot, and if not, I''m so throwing that thing out!

Buena Girl

Brilliant_Rock
I read The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants thanks to the recommendations by other pscopers. It was good!! I have since purchased The Second Summer of the Sisterhood by Ann Brashares, but no time yet to read it.

Some other beach reads that I read recently are:

The Bridesmaid Chronicles: First Date (The Bridesmaid Chronicles) by Karen Kendall

The Bridesmaid Chronicles: First Kiss (Bridesmaid Chronicles) by Kylie Adams

The Bridesmaid Chronicles: First Dance (Bridesmaid Chronicles) by Karen Kendall

I LOVED First Date! The other 2 were entertaining, but seemed to be missing something. First Kiss was so over the top, it was hard to take it too seriously. First Dance was.....not sure really. Maybe confusing would be a good word?? The last book in that miniseries, First Love, came out this month. I haven''t had a chance to read it yet, but the preview did not look very promising.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/31/2005 2:31:14 PM
Author:ivanadiamond

I just finished Sophie Kinsella''s, The Undomestic Goddess...and wasn''t too impressed. I loved her Shopaholic books though-

I never liked her shopaholic books but you HAVE to read "can you keep a secret?" They are going to make a movie so read it before that comes out. "Good in Bed" and "In her shoes" are very good also (also a movie coming out) and I LOVE LOVE Jane Greene. My favorite is "Jemima J"

ivanadiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Tacori E-ring

Jane Green is one of my favorite authors as well. I love all books and I think have read them all. I did read can you keep a secret as well and enjoyed it.

If you like Jane Greene, then I would also recommend Lisa Jewell. My two favorite books by here are Thirty-Nothing and Ralph's Party~

Buena Girl

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, I love Jemima J!! I haven't read any of the other Jane Greene books, though. What are the names of some of her better books?

I have started reading the First Love book (The Bridesmaid Chronicles: First Love by Julie Kenner), and so far I actually really like it! Maybe it will be as good as the First Date book
28.gif

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/16/2005 3:20:17 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring

Date: 8/31/2005 2:31:14 PM
Author:ivanadiamond

I never liked her shopaholic books but you HAVE to read ''can you keep a secret?'' They are going to make a movie so read it before that comes out. ''Good in Bed'' and ''In her shoes'' are very good also (also a movie coming out) and I LOVE LOVE Jane Greene. My favorite is ''Jemima J''
I thought the Shopaholics were waaay cuter than Can You Keep A Secret. Are they really making a movie out of it? WHo''s in it?? Jemima J is a fun book! I remember being surprised with how it turned out....but I havent been impressed with a couple of the other Jane Green books I''ve read. Maybe I gave up too soon, are there any especially good ones?

Funny I sooo did not enjoy In her Shoes, and wasn''t planning on seeing the movie because I disliked the book so much. Then my dad was giving me a run down of what he was going to see up in Toronto this week and that was on his list, I made fun of him...but he calls back last night and HE actually enjoyed it, said it was much better than he expected. Overall it has had a lot of good buzz...maybe I''ll give it a shot.

Buena - glad you liked the Sisterhood! its really cute, however, my friends & I are in agreement, One is the best, then three, and two is just ehhh. Did you see the movie?

Right now I''m finishing up The Other Boleyn Girl, and tons of people at work have seen me reading and commented on how much they like it. So far I am enjoying it. More of a novel based on a historical events, but definitely embellished. It has made me pretty interested in that time period and another girl who read it in my office recommended Alison Weir''s books. So that''s what''s up next. I''m running out of room for all of my books!!

Buena Girl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/16/2005 4:58:08 PM
Author: Blue824
Buena - glad you liked the Sisterhood! its really cute, however, my friends & I are in agreement, One is the best, then three, and two is just ehhh. Did you see the movie?

Right now I''m finishing up The Other Boleyn Girl, and tons of people at work have seen me reading and commented on how much they like it. So far I am enjoying it. More of a novel based on a historical events, but definitely embellished. It has made me pretty interested in that time period and another girl who read it in my office recommended Alison Weir''s books. So that''s what''s up next. I''m running out of room for all of my books!!
Nope, I have not seen the movie yet. I''ll probably rent it when it comes out on DVD. I am shocked that Alexis Bledel does not play the character "Tibby"! While I was reading the book, I kept thinking OMG, this Tibby character is so much like the "Rory Gilmore" character on Gilmore Girls. I''ll have to see what it''s like in the movie. The character may not resemble Rory with Amber Tamblyn playing the part.

What is The Other Boleyn Girl book about? I don''t think I know anyone who has read it. In what time period does it take place?

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/16/2005 3:26:11 PM
Author: ivanadiamond
Tacori E-ring

Jane Green is one of my favorite authors as well. I love all books and I think have read them all. I did read can you keep a secret as well and enjoyed it.

If you like Jane Greene, then I would also recommend Lisa Jewell. My two favorite books by here are Thirty-Nothing and Ralph''s Party~

Thanks! I go through a book a week so I am always looking for great, fun reading. I liked Mr. Maybe by Jane Greene as well. Jemima J was the best. "Little Earthquakes" (I forgot the author) is REALLY good. 4 narrators what I LOVE! I need to go through my bookcase and repost. "Angry Housewives Eating Bonbons" is good too! I forgot who is going to be in "can you keep a secret" but Cameron Diaz is in "In her shoes."

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
Buena - I LOVE Gilmore Girls, but I have to admit, I don''t really always like Alexis Bledel''s acting. I love her as Rory, but not as much in other things. Don''t know why. Anna Tamblyn(? I think) was a really good Tibby though, but originally that''s who I thought Bledel''d be too. The book was better, but still cute! The Other Boleyn is set in England in the 1520''s, and about an influential family playing for one of their daughters to be the next queen chosen by King Henry the VIII. Based on true happenings, real people, but adds in dialogue and probably other creative liberties were taken too. I plan on reading some more authentic biographies afterward because it has sparked my interest in that time period.

Tacori - Jennifer Weiner wrote Little Earthquakes, same author as In Her Shoes and Good In Bed. I looked on imdb and they havent cast Can You Keep A Secret yet, I''ll have to keep checking on that! Have you read any of J. Evanovich''s Stephanie Plum series? Fun quick reads. They''d keep you busy for a little while if you haven''t tried them yet. I havent read the last couple though, but there are 11 of them.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you like legal thrillers, try, The Mourning Sexton by Michael Baron. It is unusually well written and taught me a huge amount about Judaism. I also found it very moving. I feel that if not in a class by itself, that this is among the best of the legal thrillers. It moved me as John Grisham's, The Testament did. It is interesting that the protagonist in one book finds faith and redemption in Judaism and and that the protagonist in another finds them in Christianity.

Deborah

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/17/2005 2:20:03 AM
Author: Blue824
Tacori - Jennifer Weiner wrote Little Earthquakes, same author as In Her Shoes and Good In Bed. I looked on imdb and they havent cast Can You Keep A Secret yet, I''ll have to keep checking on that! Have you read any of J. Evanovich''s Stephanie Plum series? Fun quick reads. They''d keep you busy for a little while if you haven''t tried them yet. I havent read the last couple though, but there are 11 of them.

Blue! I LOVE STEPHANIE PLUM! We always get books on tapes when we for to visit my FI''s family (8 hour drive..
14.gif
) And he doesn''t ALWAYS pick the best ones. Anyways, last time we got her tenth book (I had to talk him into it) and he loved it. It was kind of strange listening to it when I am used to reading them but they are fun books.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results