shape
carat
color
clarity

Summer honeymoon

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Ladies and Gents: I need your help, please!

We're getting married late next July and want to take a honeymoon right after our wedding. We live in the Northeast US and aren't huge beach people (but could maybe do beaches if they're not very crowded and there are other landscapes to visit, too). Where would you recommend going in that season? What wouldn't be too hot and would (in your opinion) make a good honeymoon? We'd like somewhere calm but also somewhere that my FI can wander around and take pictures and see things (birds or ferns or historic something - see anything, really!).

Places we've thought of:

Iceland - cheap to get to, expensive to be in, but everyone keeps telling us only retired folks go to Iceland
Alaska - expensive to get to, cheaper to be in, would be gorgeous, but apparently it's black fly season?

Yeah, not many. FI wants to go to Turkey or Sicily, but the weather in July/August would be awful.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
What about Carmel/Monterey/Big Sur??

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Novel,
How about the Galapagos Islands? I haven't been but my sister has and she loved it! I think the weather there is great in July/August (June to December is generally called the dry season) and there is lots to do!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
tuffyluvr|1320127953|3051523 said:

We got married on July 12 and this is where we went. We stayed at a lovely small hotel called Tickle Pink Inn and it was wonderful!
Look them up! We did a lot of day trips and had a wonderful time. We have been trying to get back there for 31 years! Soon! We have been talking about going back for a week. They have wonderful views. Ahh... my perfect spot.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
We went to the British Virgin Islands for our July honeymoon a couple of years ago and it was awesome. We stayed on Tortola and also visited Virgin Gorda. (The Baths at Virgin Gorda are gorgeous!) We mostly hung out on the beach and snorkeled, but there were plenty of activities to do if you're so inclined. You can go sailing, charter a boat, etc. The summer is actually the off season there so we were literally the only ones on the beach most days during the week. The weekend days were a little busier, but not much.

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
Novel|1320116736|3051461 said:

We're getting married late next July and want to take a honeymoon right after our wedding. We live in the Northeast US and aren't huge beach people (but could maybe do beaches if they're not very crowded and there are other landscapes to visit, too). Where would you recommend going in that season? What wouldn't be too hot and would (in your opinion) make a good honeymoon? We'd like somewhere calm but also somewhere that my FI can wander around and take pictures and see things (birds or ferns or historic something - see anything, really!).

Places we've thought of:

Iceland - cheap to get to, expensive to be in, but everyone keeps telling us only retired folks go to Iceland
Alaska - expensive to get to, cheaper to be in, would be gorgeous, but apparently it's black fly season?

Yeah, not many. FI wants to go to Turkey or Sicily, but the weather in July/August would be awful.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

I wouldnt discount Turkey! i was there for 5 weeks over July/August (mostly August) and i didnt find it especially hot, the only place that seemed very warm was Cappadoccia in the centre, but by the coast and further out east/Istanbul were great for weather...

plus its AWESOME :bigsmile:

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
luv2sparkle|1320153879|3051628 said:

We got married on July 12 and this is where we went. We stayed at a lovely small hotel called Tickle Pink Inn and it was wonderful!
Look them up! We did a lot of day trips and had a wonderful time. We have been trying to get back there for 31 years! Soon! We have been talking about going back for a week. They have wonderful views. Ahh... my perfect spot.

Oooh, this sounds very tempting! My cousins got married in Big Sur, and it looked unbelievably gorgeous! If either of you went again, how long would your ideal trip to that area be?

thing2of2|1320154635|3051634 said:
We went to the British Virgin Islands for our July honeymoon a couple of years ago and it was awesome. We stayed on Tortola and also visited Virgin Gorda. (The Baths at Virgin Gorda are gorgeous!) We mostly hung out on the beach and snorkeled, but there were plenty of activities to do if you're so inclined. You can go sailing, charter a boat, etc. The summer is actually the off season there so we were literally the only ones on the beach most days during the week. The weekend days were a little busier, but not much.

Thanks, Thing2! I'm going to check out the BVIs. Somehow going to the beach in the middle of the summer makes no sense to me, but I think that's probably unreasonable! It's my fear of the heat talking. We love to snorkel, and the inlands of the islands look beautiful, too, for a change of pace.

Blackpaw|1320158244|3051669 said:
I wouldnt discount Turkey! i was there for 5 weeks over July/August (mostly August) and i didnt find it especially hot, the only place that seemed very warm was Cappadoccia in the centre, but by the coast and further out east/Istanbul were great for weather...

Blackpaw, that's so good to know! I read about a lot being closed in July/August because of vacations and/or Ramadan. Was this a problem for you when you were there? Where in Turkey did you go? I'd love to go somewhere where we can relax somewhere gorgeous for the first 3-4 days and then do more active sightseeing for the remainder.

missy|1320141405|3051561 said:
Hi Novel,
How about the Galapagos Islands? I haven't been but my sister has and she loved it! I think the weather there is great in July/August (June to December is generally called the dry season) and there is lots to do!

Hey, Missy, thanks. Man, the Galapagos, I'd love to. I think it might be a bit out of our price range, but I'll add it to the list!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I went to Alaska, it is beautiful!!!! We stayed at the Gustavus Inn (James Beard winner, they serve the best meals). :cheeky: http://www.gustavusinn.com/ That is me riding the bikes they lend you at the inn; I saw soooo many bald Eagles, Moose, bear, whales, Puffins and so much more! What is black fly season? We went the end of June.

35851_1398947667529_1647411459_929211_3753320_n.jpg

35851_1398947827533_1647411459_929214_4548871_n.jpg

35851_1398963507925_1647411459_929278_8355517_n.jpg

35851_1398948107540_1647411459_929219_7350422_n.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love Alaska! It is amazingly beautiful! However there are millions of mosquitos (black flies?) in July & August from what I remember and that's why before or after the bug season is preferable IMO. I went in early Sept and it was gorgeous. One of my favorite trips to date.

Lovely photos Skippy. :))

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
missy|1320160786|3051687 said:
I love Alaska! It is amazingly beautiful! However there are millions of mosquitos (black flies?) in July & August from what I remember and that's why before or after the bug season is preferable IMO. I went in early Sept and it was gorgeous. One of my favorite trips to date.

Lovely photos Skippy. :))

Oh mosquitos! got it! I do think I was bit a few times but maybe it was worth it? hehe I don't know! thanks! eta: I do see how that can make someone not go if there are lots of them!

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
I'd also look into Mackinac Island, Michigan; as well as Michigan's West Coast which is on Lake Michigan, has some nice beaches, quaint towns, and beautiful scenery; and Traverse City, Michigan, which is where Mario Batalli hangs out in July.

There are no cars allowed on Mackinac Island, only golf carts, bikes, and horse-drawn carriages, and you can take a ferry over from the mainland. Traverse City has wineries galore (Chateau Chantal is one that comes highly recommended) and they have the best darn cherry pie in the world. You can find more information here.

Disclaimer: DH and I are going to Mackinac and Traverse City for our first anniversary next June.

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Skippy|1320159809|3051681 said:
I went to Alaska, it is beautiful!!!! We stayed at the Gustavus Inn (James Beard winner, they serve the best meals). :cheeky: http://www.gustavusinn.com/ That is me riding the bikes they lend you at the inn; I saw soooo many bald Eagles, Moose, bear, whales, Puffins and so much more! What is black fly season? We went the end of June.

Oh my god, amazing! Apparently once the nights start to freeze, the flies disappear, so late late July or early August is supposedly ok, according to the Alaska website!

I think puffins are the way to sell my FI on this, seriously. That sounds unbelievable!

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
vc10um|1320162300|3051703 said:
I'd also look into Mackinac Island, Michigan; as well as Michigan's West Coast which is on Lake Michigan, has some nice beaches, quaint towns, and beautiful scenery; and Traverse City, Michigan, which is where Mario Batalli hangs out in July.

There are no cars allowed on Mackinac Island, only golf carts, bikes, and horse-drawn carriages, and you can take a ferry over from the mainland. Traverse City has wineries galore (Chateau Chantal is one that comes highly recommended) and they have the best darn cherry pie in the world. You can find more information here.

Disclaimer: DH and I are going to Mackinac and Traverse City for our first anniversary next June.

Unfortunately, FI has been to Mackinac and spends most of his summer family trips in Michigan, as his family has a farm up there, so I think MI is out for us. Sounds like a wonderful anniversary trip for you guys, though!

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Novel|1320162416|3051705 said:
vc10um|1320162300|3051703 said:

Unfortunately, FI has been to Mackinac and spends most of his summer family trips in Michigan, as his family has a farm up there, so I think MI is out for us. Sounds like a wonderful anniversary trip for you guys, though!

LOL. Well then. Obviously you already know how awesome it is! I think Alaska sounds like an amazing idea. We went on a cruise there in August when I was 11 and we had a blast. I dont' recall any issues with mosquitoes, either...and when there are mosquitoes, they FIND me, so I'm pretty sure I'd have been mentally scarred if there were overly large numbers of them. That may be because by later in the day we were back on the ship, though??? Not sure. If you're cruisers at all, that's a great way to see costal Alaska because you get to see all the iceburgs and glaciers and cliffs and whatnot. I know several lines do a combination cruise and stay at Denali...Princess Cruiseline comes to mind...that seems like it would be a great Honeymoon!

Guilty Pleasure

Brilliant_Rock
We were married in July and spent four days in Santorini and four days in Athens. It was A-MA-ZING! It was hot, but we were very comfortable with a dry breeze. Also, I visited Australia in July 2007 and thought the weather was very nice. It was cold in Sydney (light jacket), brisk in central Australia, and bathing suit weather in Queensland.

Another idea is Thailand - epensive to get to, but cheap once you're there!

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Guilty Pleasure|1320168037|3051761 said:
We were married in July and spent four days in Santorini and four days in Athens. It was A-MA-ZING! It was hot, but we were very comfortable with a dry breeze. Also, I visited Australia in July 2007 and thought the weather was very nice. It was cold in Sydney (light jacket), brisk in central Australia, and bathing suit weather in Queensland.

Another idea is Thailand - epensive to get to, but cheap once you're there!

Mmmm... Greece. We keep thinking about Greece. I think it's super tempting to both of us, and I'm really happy to hear you thought it wasn't too hot! Thailand would also be amazing! Ok, adding both to the official list!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you can afford the really fantastic locations like Greece, I would so opt for a location like that. You can go to the US places anytime on kind of short notice. Unless, you are looking for a laid back relaxing kind of trip. We went on practically no money. Our hotel was paid for
but my DH had lost his job and while we were gone his boss (who owed us a lot of money) died. So we were really frugal. All we needed was the gas to get there. We had a wonderful time and so many memories.

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
luv2sparkle|1320172462|3051832 said:
If you can afford the really fantastic locations like Greece, I would so opt for a location like that. You can go to the US places anytime on kind of short notice. Unless, you are looking for a laid back relaxing kind of trip. We went on practically no money. Our hotel was paid for
but my DH had lost his job and while we were gone his boss (who owed us a lot of money) died. So we were really frugal. All we needed was the gas to get there. We had a wonderful time and so many memories.

We're somewhere in the middle of this. I have a job but FI doesn't at the moment, and we have no idea what our finances will look like next year. That said, I have enough miles to get one of us pretty much anywhere in the world, so that cuts down a little bit. We wouldn't go to a resort no matter where we went, and we're both pretty frugal, so I think a big ticket honeymoon is out of the question. I like to dream about Greece, though I think we're aiming for a more mid-range honeymoon.

Edited to finish my sentence!

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
luv2sparkle|1320153879|3051628 said:

Oh my gosh my husband and I stayed at the Tickle Pink Inn a few years back and loved it! What a wonderful spot for a honeymoon!!!

On another note, Novel, have you considered Ireland? That would be a lovely destination for a summertime honeymoon.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ireland is great! It's such a warm (as in friendly) country, and it's beyond gorgeous. There's so much to see and do, and it's pretty easy to get around.

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, Zoe and Sundial, I wish Ireland were an option! FI went there to visit his ex, who lived in Dublin at the time, and traveled with her, so he is kind of sour on the whole country. Irrational! Thanks for the suggestion, though!

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
Ooohhh...Alaska, Greece, or Monterey...you really can't go wrong with those options :bigsmile:

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Novel|1320197285|3052192 said:
Oh, Zoe and Sundial, I wish Ireland were an option! FI went there to visit his ex, who lived in Dublin at the time, and traveled with her, so he is kind of sour on the whole country. Irrational! Thanks for the suggestion, though!

So don't go to Dublin! Galway's beautiful, AND it's on the other side of the country. :bigsmile:

That's too bad he feels that way. My other vote was going to be Hawaii but if you're not beach people, I'm not sure it's the best idea. It could be a long way to travel to NOT hang out at the beach.

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
Hi Novel :wavey: We didnt find Ramadan a problem at all in Turkey. In more remote places it could be but id doubt you'll be going to them! In Istanbul you could still buy food no problem at all during the day, and in the evening families gathered in the park and broke their fast when the bells rang - and there were lots of street stalls/entertainers about to help them do so!

We crossed the Syrian border and went to Gaziantep, then to Nemrut Dagi (this is a pretty long haul, i would probably say miss it unless you have lots of time as there's not much in between). We went along the coast, to a few spots like antalya, bodrum, kas, olympos. There are western-style resorts you can stay at all along the coast. We did the big ruins of course, Epehsus is probably the main one to see. We missed troy though some did say its overrated which i think is why we missed it... We really liked pamukkale with the travertines and ruins of hierapolis (i do recall the day we were there being quite hot, probably coz it was inland). Naturally Istanbul is fantastic, you can spend a fair bit of time there. Cappadoccia id say is turkey's must see, its very cool (and has some great properties for honeymooners i believe!). We did Gallipoli but that wont be relevant to you if you're from North America. Hmm where else..thats all i can think of for now!

Personally id go for it (or Greece, which neednt be too expensive if you dont need 5 star! my SO and i had a great time in affordable accom and were even able to get a great deal on a place in Oia overlooking the crater for a couple of nights) - its your honeymoon and there will be plenty of opportunity to visit places in the US, down the track if you have a mortgage and especially if you have kids it will be hard to justify this kinda vacation.

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
Novel said:
luv2sparkle|1320172462|3051832 said:

We're somewhere in the middle of this. I have a job but FI doesn't at the moment, and we have no idea what our finances will look like next year. That said, I have enough miles to get one of us pretty much anywhere in the world, so that cuts down a little bit. We wouldn't go to a resort no matter where we went, and we're both pretty frugal, so I think a big ticket honeymoon is out of the question. I like to dream about Greece, though I think we're aiming for a more mid-range honeymoon.

Edited to finish my sentence!

If you can get to the Greek Islands, I think you can find very affordable accommodation! I was looking into staying on some of the smaller islands (Mykonos or Skopelos) and found many bed and breakfasts and hotels for around/under $100 a night. This would be my dream trip!

MAC-W

Brilliant_Rock
Blackpaw|1320158244|3051669 said:
Novel|1320116736|3051461 said:

Places we've thought of:

Any suggestions? Thanks!

I totally second Turkey. I used to work there (Istanbul) and hubs and I would have long weekends down on the adriatic coast. Fabulous at any time of the year. You are close to all sorts of cultural / heritage sites,the beaches are fabulous and you can do day trips to all the little islands. Our favourite place was Foca which was a lovely little fishing town but was starting to have more of a tourism focus so may be overspoilt now.

Other than Turkey, I would say for a fabulous holiday in July / August => Lake Garda, Italy, / anywhere in Switzerland / Valencia, Spain / Dubrovnik, Croatia / Tinos, Greece / Copenhagen, Denmark.

The only downside of the european sites I've suggested is the fact that July and August is peak holiday season, so you will pay slightly higher prices as a result. If money isnt a big issue, then totally go for one of the European places.

If money is a consideration then perhaps somewhere closer to home like maybe Antigua.

Or if you are feeling a little bit more adventurous - Amman in Jordan. (Fabulous and unlike anywhere you will have ever been before)

Where ever you pick, I hope you have a great time.

Mac

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
We got married in July and went on our honeymoon in Belize. We split the trip between the country/jungle and a beach/island. The weather was quite temperate in the jungle, much to our surprise and there was quite a lot to do between visiting ruins, going on nature hikes and going to the spa and pool. The resort we stayed at was Chaa Creek. Vcum10 also honeymooned there recently.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
hmm, Ireland - flights are cheaper than rest of Europe... and being there isn't terribly expensive. You can totaly relax in the countryside as well as enjoy the towns/cities/ and do cultural sightseeing.

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Zoe and Amysbling, I know, it's so annoying that he won't consider Ireland. I guess they traveled through Ireland together and he has pretty bad memories of the trip. My boss suggested Scotland yesterday, though, which I'm giving serious thought to!

Blackpaw and MAC-W, it's so great to hear your thoughts on Turkey. I'm glad it seems doable during Ramadan and that you guys both had wonderful experiences there. This is going to go back on my "seriously consider" list, I think. I love the combination of beauty, rural, cities, beaches, and, gah, ruins! Thanks for the votes of confidence!

aviastar, so good to know! We're good at finding little b&bs and stuff, so I think I'm going to seriously consider Greece again, too. If I have enough miles to get me there without paying, and we can find cheaper accommodation, it would be financially doable (if he gets a job soon...). I feel like Greece is the ultimate honeymoon, you know? Well, perhaps besides Bora Bora.

Hudson_Hawk, I was hoping you'd see this thread! I'd love to hear more about where you went in Belize, if you wouldn't mind. I was talking with some girlfriends last night about their intended trip to Belize next summer, and it sounds amazing. I think it's the right combination of types of things to do, too, for us.

Ok, so new list:
Alaska
Greece (B&B style)
Turkey - Istanbul and Cappadocia
Belize
possibly Dubrovnik
Scotland

God, not bad choices, huh? :naughty:

Guilty Pleasure

Brilliant_Rock
If you choose Greece, I'd be happy to post my recommendations for Santorini and Athens. We stayed in the lovliest place in Oia (Santorini) - a mom and pop type of business that owned cave houses cut into the cliffs - and found a GREAT restaurant and drove around to all these little random wineries... I could seriously go on and on! It was so romantic and beautiful and FUN! We weren't necessarily on a "budget" but we also weren't staying in the major five star places. We saved a lot of money and couldn't have been happier.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results