shape
carat
color
clarity

Suggestions for window shopping Dublin

737liz

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm going on a girls trip to Dublin, and have set aside 2 days for window shopping ( I was supposed to be splurging but I received a bill and now on a shoestring budget, literally, I'm staying in a hostel! ) Any suggestions for where to go? I was thinking I could scout out a few good places and check in with them again once cash isn't so tight. Any pointers would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
JW Weldons was a great visit.

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
No suggestions to offer - we didn't shop while in Dublin only site seeing, but I am jealous:mrgreen:! I really likes Dublin and all of Ireland more than I expected that I would. Enjoy your trip.

PS - Visit the Jeanie Johnston, if you have a chance. It was a great replica of the conditions on voyage that those fleeing the potato famine had to experience.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have fun on your girls trip! My sons and I will be in Dublin next week but for only one day before heading to the west side. I don't think I will have time for window shopping. We will be doing the hop on hop off bus to see as much as we can while there.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What kind of shopping were you planning on doing?

I LOVE Dulin and it will always be a special place to me (studied at trinity college for a year and met DH while there). But shopping wise it was not among the best places I've been to...

Butler's irish chocolate is divine... better than Godiva (to me)

Nice shopping, irish products:

http://www.powerscourtcentre.ie

Home Fragrance and Bodycare:

Max Benjamin

Obviously Brown Thomas as THE department store...

Otherwise I'd focus caint, craig & ceol and have a great time in Temple bar and around the Liffey.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@redwood

Enjoy the west. This place seriously stole my heart.
If you're atvall interested in Connemara Ponies or Irish hunters, the coolest horseman out west ist Willie Leahy.
A total original and typical irishman.

737liz

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you everyone! I was focused on bling window shopping- but realized recommendations on anything and everything is much appreciated and useful. I find the history fascinating and can't wait to see some of the landscape. I'm in Dublin for the beginning and end of the trip, heading north to N. Ireland and the coastal walks for the time in between. We will have 3 days to explore with Bushmills as our base.

I am saving the west and south for a trip with my partner, as it's on his top 10 destination list; along with British Columbia, Moscow, Norway, and NZ south island-he is fair skinned so stays away from equatorial sunny destinations, unfortunately. I've got my wellies and waterproofs ready for the Irish spring weather :D

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@737lizakg, for Jewellery shopping Ireland is like most European countries not as good as the US. I would avoid buying significant pieces outside of the US.

However, a claddagh ring is a cute and nice keepsake. Mine was super inexpensive at the time, but I have seen swoonworthy vintage ones.
Example pic from Wikipedia 800px-Claddaghring.jpg

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Weldons jewellers have nice stuff, Antiques in particular. But again, prices are higher than jgb or lad.

weldons.ie

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you everyone! I was focused on bling window shopping- but realized recommendations on anything and everything is much appreciated and useful. I find the history fascinating and can't wait to see some of the landscape. I'm in Dublin for the beginning and end of the trip, heading north to N. Ireland and the coastal walks for the time in between. We will have 3 days to explore with Bushmills as our base.

I am saving the west and south for a trip with my partner, as it's on his top 10 destination list; along with British Columbia, Moscow, Norway, and NZ south island-he is fair skinned so stays away from equatorial sunny destinations, unfortunately. I've got my wellies and waterproofs ready for the Irish spring weather :D
How far north are you headed? The Giants causeway is amazing and Belfast is really an eye opener. We had a private tour guide take us around the city and explain about the history. The wall is still standing and in many places, I am told they still shut the gates at night. Really hits home how lucky we are.

The Titanic Museum is also in Belfast at the location where Titanic was built. I thought that it was interesting and a look into history of Belfast.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Second the giant's causeway... magical

737liz

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yay,now that I know I can tag people, I have responded to you all. Thanks again!

@kipari I live in Switzerland so ANYTHING is cheaper than here. I'd love a claddagh ring as my first ever 'real' jewellery that I bought myself was a sterling one from a market stall in Berkeley when I was 11. But it'll have to wait, unless it's the deal of the century!
@Octo2005 we are definitely doing the giants causeway; I love all rocks, even the non shiny ones! We have one full day in Belfast. My friend told me that the black cab tours in Belfast are supposed to be good (he's a local so hasn't done touristy stuff). What tour did you do?
@redwood66 Great idea about the hop on/off bus, I forgot about them.
@Resonance.Of.Life I have emailed Weldons, their website looks very promising!

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yay,now that I know I can tag people, I have responded to you all. Thanks again!

@kipari I live in Switzerland so ANYTHING is cheaper than here. I'd love a claddagh ring as my first ever 'real' jewellery that I bought myself was a sterling one from a market stall in Berkeley when I was 11. But it'll have to wait, unless it's the deal of the century!
@Octo2005 we are definitely doing the giants causeway; I love all rocks, even the non shiny ones! We have one full day in Belfast. My friend told me that the black cab tours in Belfast are supposed to be good (he's a local so hasn't done touristy stuff). What tour did you do?
@redwood66 Great idea about the hop on/off bus, I forgot about them.
@Resonance.Of.Life I have emailed Weldons, their website looks very promising!
I can't remember, it has been several years. I will have to ask my DH, he will remember (but can't remember to take out the trash:roll2:). I checked out their website and I don't think it was them, but they look good and have great reviews. If he remembers, I will post so that you can have a few options to choose from.

737liz

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@redwood66 hope you are enjoying the coast! I'm flying out tomorrow and have finally figured out accommodation ( yes, excellent forward planning on my part :roll).

@Octo2005 we've decided on a walking tour and the cab ride, so hope to get several perspectives! Hope not to run into any contentious easter parades (I read that a small group want to march for the 'unfinished revolution' or something like that.) Excited!

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@redwood66 hope you are enjoying the coast! I'm flying out tomorrow and have finally figured out accommodation ( yes, excellent forward planning on my part :roll).

@Octo2005 we've decided on a walking tour and the cab ride, so hope to get several perspectives! Hope not to run into any contentious easter parades (I read that a small group want to march for the 'unfinished revolution' or something like that.) Excited!
Safe travels - You are going to have a great time!

CoffeeAndDiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I may be too late to this thread, but I lived in Dublin for the past few years. Just moved about six months ago.

Francis Street in Dublin is great for a browse. It's not in the nicest part of town (near St. Patrick's), but the street itself has about 10 fine antiques stores. I think they are closed Sunday. The shops sell everything from antique fireplaces to jewelry to locally made art. Most of it is quite expensive. There's also a really nice local yarn shop on that street, in case you're looking for some Irish wool :)

Sundays are a big day for antiques fairs in Ireland. They tend to be more reasonably priced than the shops in Dublin. I bought a very nice emerald and diamond ring at one and a braided gold band at another.

737liz

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Ontheblackrock15 thank you! It's not too late as we'll be there next weekend as well. A street full of antique shops sounds like heaven!

WeeOui

Rough_Rock
Premium
I still daydream about the meals and treats we had at the Queen of Tarts while we were in Dublin for a Simple Minds and Stranglers concert. It was the best food I have ever eaten, and it’s such a cozy spot. I believe they have two locations there, and both are not far from each other.

WeeOui

Rough_Rock
Premium
634A84CA-D803-4A7C-B687-C3559A07CBFA.jpeg 1A33FBBE-6EF5-4A18-9897-E1B3FF95F907.jpeg
Here are pics of the parsnip tart and apple crumble I ate every day while we were there. I am so hungry.

737liz

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Well, PS is a goldmine. It was a great trip and I found some wonderful jewellers and shops in Dublin, learnt a little bit about the troubles in Belfast, and loved the causeway walks. The lambs were almost too cute, the scenery was exactly as I imagined, the food was delicious, and don't get me started on the friendliness of the people we encountered. (Except my immigration officer, who made me cry).

I took everyone's advice. The only advice I ignored was my own; I bought a sapphire half eternity stacker, despite being very very short on funds. @WeeOui Queen of tarts was delicious, @Ontheblackrock15 I bought a very cheap piece of art on Francis st. @Resonance.Of.Life and @kipari I visited almost every jewellery shop belonging to the Weldon clan. Apparently there are 17 in the trade! The bling that I ended up buying was from a Weldon who just opened up in powerscourt.

This trip was a girls getaway and I had ordered simple stackers for us all off etsy with 4 stones set in the band (diamond, tsav, sapphire, ruby). So after gifting the girls their rings, we walked by this shop and there, calling to us, was an estate set of 4 stackers;diamond, tsav, sapphire and ruby! Well, when the bling stars align who am I to fight it? We broke the set up and we each got our own stacker. A pricey yet perfect end to a great trip.

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sounds like you had a great trip!

737liz

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sounds like you had a great trip!
It really was. I only started to value female friendships as an adult and it means a lot to me that we can still set aside time for these girly trips. I'm gonna post some pics of the gems I couldn't afford. And of my modest stacker.

Trionacat

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Sound so great . Please post pics and details as I will be there soon

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wohoo ! Sapphire stacker, YUM!! Pics please!

Ireland is such a special place. Rough and welcoming, artsy, charming, enchanting... I REALLY fell for this little country when I first visited as a teenager and was fortunate enough to spend nearly two years in Ireland.
It was SOOOOO much fun (-excuse tge enthusiasm, but I have very fond memories).

737liz

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
IMG_20180406_160539.jpg 3.75 twc g stones, had visible inclusions but man oh man were they pretty, the facet patterns all matched and the gallery was swirly... if only I had an extra 35k...

737liz

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
IMG_20180410_095522.jpg IMG_20180410_095108.jpg 10 years ago we were all in Paris doing some daytime champagne drinking, and got it into our heads to propose lifelong friendship to one another...culminating in a set of silver stackers as friendship rings... the 'Wifeys' were in need of an upgrade. Maybe 2 upgrades in 2 days was a bit excessive... here are the modest etsy rings (1.45mm wide) and the serendipitous finds (1.85mm wide). Unfortunately the Irish silver box wasn't included. By PS standards the eternity ring stones could be clearer, but the tsavs are a gorgeous rich green,the pink/ruby glows,as do my sapphires, the bands are well made, and it was just too good to pass up. It helped that the jeweler was charming and let me spend 3 hours chatting away while I louped every stone he had.

Attachments

• IMG_20180410_095108.jpg
    IMG_20180410_095108.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 12

737liz

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
IMG_20180329_101949.jpg Dublin is target ring central, I saw literally dozens. Most apparently were made in the '60s with older stones. This one was about 11k, very white and clean.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Delicious!!!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results