shape
carat
color
clarity

Suggestions for what to walk down the aisle to?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Tybee

Brilliant_Rock
oh golly,

things are coming together.
I''m now looking for thoughts on what to walk down the ailse to.

Basic info:
informal beach wedding in the Virgin Islands.
Music will be played by steel drum.

That doesn''t rule out classical music, though... but I don''t want to do the classic Canon in D, not because I don''t love it, I just want to be a little different... any ideas?

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Tybee, I remember the "Friends" episode (yes, I watched and LOVED Friends...
28.gif
) and Phoebe got married with a steel drum playing as she walked up the aisle. It was a Beatles song, I think it may have been "And I Love Her" but I''m not sure. I was thinking about using the Beach Boys "God Only Knows".. I think it''s a fantastic idea!! Steel drum... fantastic.
36.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
heheh...

i was torn on this too because i was like hello playing the wedding march in HAWAII just seems so lame! but i couldn't find another song, i listened to tons. greg got so sick of me playing the songs in the office over and over, hee hee.

anyway what we ended up doing...in my kickboxing class, the end stretching song we did was like this funky flute-whistling-drums-enya kinda thing and i just loved the song! it started with a gong chiming a few times, hehee. i don't know why but i loved it the first time i heard it as we stretched. so anyway here i was going through all these songs and then i was like gosh what about the stretching song!!! so i asked my kickboxing instructor if she would mind burning me the song on CD, she said sure she would, and that was that!

it was great, it worked out perfectly. and it was great in hawaii!!

so maybe think outside the box a bit....anything kinda funky come to mind that you'd like?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mara, do you know who the song is by? Or any way you could post the file somewhere if it''s not copyrighted? I am having a hell of a time trying to figure out what song we are going to use...we are just getting married on the beach locally. Your song sounds interesting!!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
We''ve been joking around about this topic lately ... I keep lobbying for the "I Love Lucy" theme (which might be better for exit actually) ... and he wanted some LAME-O Star Wars something or other (just teasing me, I hope!!). Our musical tastes seem to only converge in one specific genre: FUNK. Would "Brick House" be an odd choice? Why, yes it would - especially at THE BARN WEDDING. Perhaps "Let''s Get it On"? Aiggh. I''m trapped in wacky-choice land.

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
I agree with Mara--think outside the box. We used "our" song which was the Bee Gees, "How Deep is Your Love"--words and all. Everyone thought we were nuts, but it was perfect for us.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
I don''t have a specific song suggestion, but there is a wonderful artist (now deceased) from Hawaii who was very popular there in the 90''s named Israel ''IZ'' Kamakawiwo''ole. You may want to check out a few of his songs (they can be heard in snippets on Amazon). It''s been a while since I listened to him (my sister came to visit and the one album I owned by him magically disappeared
1.gif
) so I don''t have much more information for you.

Good Luck!

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
I know it sounds off... but I think that Ava Marie would be beautiful in Steel Drums

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
TG I still have the CD she burned from me so I can check to see if it lists an artist (she didn''t write it on the CD) and I can see if it''s downloadable online or if I can upload it or something. I know it''s not like some big famous artist...but anyway stay tuned.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Mara...I am just in need for ideas. I wish I could hire the PS BIW''s to organize my wedding. I was feeling rather smug that it''s been painless and most of it seemed done. Well, venue/photographer bookings do not a wedding make! There are all these little details now that I have to sort out. Bah.

Not to mention, I still have to lose weight to fit into that damn dress. I better start looking for a backup...
40.gif

Tybee

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmm,
Ave Maria would sound cool on steel drums...

I''ve been thinking more "out of the box" like Mara suggested, and I keep coming back to
"I Just Called to Say I Love You" by Stevie Wonder... whenever if shuffles up on my ipod and I''m running I get a little
teary eyed. I can totally imagine it on steel drums.

BUT, our first dance song is also a Stevie song (For Once in My Life) I didn''t want to be too Stevie heavy.
Do you think it sounds cheesy?

chickflick

Shiny_Rock
I''m using classical guitar versions of favorite Beatles songs and "Here Comes the Sun" will be the bridal party processional. I think it would be perfect for the bride, and I''m sure it would be lovely on the steel drum. I''m torn myself between an arrangement of the traditional wedding march or my name song, "Michelle".

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
what about something like At Last by etta james for your aisle walk, on steel drums that would be cool maybe.

we did a stevie wonder song too for one of our dances, ''as'' which is one of my favorite songs, it''s not as well known.

also we did ''one in a million you'' by lou rawls for our first dance, that song makes me teary eyed.

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/27/2006 10:55:42 AM
Author: KimberlyH
I don't have a specific song suggestion, but there is a wonderful artist (now deceased) from Hawaii who was very popular there in the 90's named Israel 'IZ' Kamakawiwo'ole. You may want to check out a few of his songs (they can be heard in snippets on Amazon). It's been a while since I listened to him (my sister came to visit and the one album I owned by him magically disappeared
1.gif
) so I don't have much more information for you.

Good Luck!
His version of "over the rainbow" is priceless! I'm trying to figure out where to incorporate it into my wedding.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/28/2006 1:24:08 PM
Author: ChargerGrrl

Date: 6/27/2006 10:55:42 AM
Author: KimberlyH
I don''t have a specific song suggestion, but there is a wonderful artist (now deceased) from Hawaii who was very popular there in the 90''s named Israel ''IZ'' Kamakawiwo''ole. You may want to check out a few of his songs (they can be heard in snippets on Amazon). It''s been a while since I listened to him (my sister came to visit and the one album I owned by him magically disappeared
1.gif
) so I don''t have much more information for you.

Good Luck!
His version of ''over the rainbow'' is priceless! I''m trying to figure out where to incorporate it into my wedding.
HA HA it''s so funny you say that because that song is SOOOOOOO ''wedding in hawaii''!!!!! It''s like the Wedding March but in Hawaii it''s that Over the Rainbow song. We got a sample DVD from some company in Hawaii for videography and they had it set to that and then when we were talking to our pastor about songs he is all oh yeah that''s popular...we thought that was the funniest thing. But something LIKE that kind of islandy song would be fun too Tybee.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
IZ''s version of Over the Rainbow is beautiful, but that song depresses me, so I wouldn''t choose it to walk down the aisle to. Though I can understand incorporating it into the wedding somehow because it''s such a classic.

Tybee

Brilliant_Rock
oh wow,
I had to check i-tunes for that version of Over the Rainbow... Yes, I do remember it, and yes, it is EXACTLY the kind of island kisch that I was looking for!
Wow!
Maybe we should trade in our steel drum player for a yukelali (sp?) player!

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
I think Iz''s "Somewhere..." is a great choice too. We plan to use it somewhere in our ceremony, probably immediately after the "husband and wife" bit. Recessional, I guess, except that we won''t really be recessing anywhere. We''re using CDs or an iPod, though so will use the original, rather than live music.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
OH I'm so glad someone revisited this thread...that reminds me!

We were in Napa this weekend and they had the most awesome CD in the room...

It's called Door Harp by Michael Hauser...here is the link on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006JJ1I/sr=8-1/qid=1152315186/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-2591812-9531830?ie=UTF8

It's a really cool instrumental CD and one of the songs to me sounded perfect for a beach wedding, #4 I think it was...it had kind of a solid guitar and insturmental entrance for a while (bridesmaids) then a new instrument was added in (bride) and i thought it sounded great. anyway I loved a bunch of the songs and thought I'd recommend it here for you gals who are looking for outside of the box ideas for the songs!!

ETA: the amazon clips aren't working so if you want to hear the clips, check out this link:

http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/music/pid/5030094/a/Door+Harp.htm

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results