shape
carat
color
clarity

Suggestions for songs to sing at a Wedding?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey there! I have been asked to sing at a friends wedding during the ceremony, at the beginning i think... I have done this before for a friend. One of my best friends got married a couple of years ago and I sang during the ceremony with a pianist - "Answer" by Sarah MacLachlan. it''s a very pretty, shorter soft song and it sounded very nice in the church.

I am having some trouble thinking of other songs that would sound nice and be appropriate. I am not sure she has any ideas on WHAT i should sing, so i just thought i''d pop over here and ask you ladies if you have any recommendations? I would prefer not to sing a hymn, or a really religious song, but I would if she asked me to. A few of the "walk down the isle" songs were inspiring on here....i really liked that "runaway" song by the coors.

So, the few that i have thought of were:

Answer - sarah maclachlan
Angel - same as above
At Last - Etta James
Runaway - the coors
The Long Day is Over - Norah Jones
Come Away with me - Norah Jones

could you ladies rack your brains for me and suggest anything you''d like to hear sung at a wedding ceremony? i would be so greatful!

honey22

Ideal_Rock
I love Answer!!! It''s such a gorgeous gorgeous song, and if you are comfortable to sing acapella and do it well, then I would pick that!

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/14/2009 1:29:20 AM
Author: honey22
I love Answer!!! It''s such a gorgeous gorgeous song, and if you are comfortable to sing acapella and do it well, then I would pick that!
Honey - thank you for responding! Isn''t that the prettiest song? This is the song i did at my other friend''s wedding - it was with a pianist, but i would be comfortable a cappella as well. Also, it''s not really long so it''s kind of just the right amount of time for people to be staring at you while you are singing IMO
9.gif

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Are you open to singing in a non-English language? Schumann''s "Du Ring an Meinem Finger" is beautiful, secular, and perfect for a wedding (Schumann wrote it and the other songs in the same cycle as a wedding gift to his bride).

Lyrics
Youtube

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/14/2009 1:40:24 AM
Author: jstarfireb
Are you open to singing in a non-English language? Schumann's 'Du Ring an Meinem Finger' is beautiful, secular, and perfect for a wedding (Schumann wrote it and the other songs in the same cycle as a wedding gift to his bride).

Lyrics
Youtube
I am going to have to be completely honest here and say I don't think i can do this song...it's gorgeous though!

From what i remember of last time, it was a ton of pressure and i was really nervous, and i think trying to learn and memorize a new song in another language might be too much for me. That is an absolutely lovely song, however!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Ahh, ok. I bet you''re just selling yourself short though...I''m sure you could handle it! Although if you haven''t sung in German before, it can be a bit tough to learn.

I''m tempted to change my plans and use this at my wedding. I already have a Hebrew love song lined up for my ceremony, which I love...but this one is just perfect! Too bad I found it after I had already planned out my ceremony music. Less than a month''s notice might not be preferable to my soloist.
2.gif

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/14/2009 1:59:01 AM
Author: jstarfireb
Ahh, ok. I bet you're just selling yourself short though...I'm sure you could handle it! Although if you haven't sung in German before, it can be a bit tough to learn.

I'm tempted to change my plans and use this at my wedding. I already have a Hebrew love song lined up for my ceremony, which I love...but this one is just perfect! Too bad I found it after I had already planned out my ceremony music. Less than a month's notice might not be preferable to my soloist.
2.gif
You are too cute! I listened to the song first....gorgeous. Then i pulled up the lyrics - and i felt a little sick to my tummy.....i think you are right about learning the german language - i have never spoken or sung a lick of it!

I, however, am not a soloist - just a former (amateur) singer and a friend. I think this song would sound devine at a ceremony!!!! maybe ask if she could include it with your hebrew song????

honey22

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2009 1:33:56 AM
Author: violet3

Date: 4/14/2009 1:29:20 AM
Author: honey22
Honey - thank you for responding! Isn''t that the prettiest song? This is the song i did at my other friend''s wedding - it was with a pianist, but i would be comfortable a cappella as well. Also, it''s not really long so it''s kind of just the right amount of time for people to be staring at you while you are singing IMO
9.gif
I just reread the bit about the piano - perfect!!! I used to sing and I was even considering singing this song at our reception as a suprise for my darling. Although, he is always hassling me to sing Fever, he thinks it''s sexy
11.gif

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Maybe it''s because I''m getting married in Hawaii, and it''s a little cliche, but I really like ''Somewhere Over the Rainbow''!
1.gif

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
A friend of mine had "I Will" (Beatles) sung at her wedding. I think it would be very sweet with piano.

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/14/2009 11:49:29 AM
Author: shimmer
Maybe it''s because I''m getting married in Hawaii, and it''s a little cliche, but I really like ''Somewhere Over the Rainbow''!
1.gif
Oh, this is a cute idea - thanks!

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/14/2009 11:57:58 AM
Author: Elmorton
A friend of mine had ''I Will'' (Beatles) sung at her wedding. I think it would be very sweet with piano.
I don''t know this song, but i will go look it up on youtube - thankyou!

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
I am probably singing "When You Say Nothing at All" at my friend''s wedding this summer. I don''t remember who the original artist is--Alison Kraus maybe?

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/14/2009 5:16:11 PM
Author: kittybean
I am probably singing ''When You Say Nothing at All'' at my friend''s wedding this summer. I don''t remember who the original artist is--Alison Kraus maybe?
Thanks Kittybean! Alison Kraus definitely sang that song (not sure if she''s the original artist) - one of my BFs had that for her first dance song - it was beautiful. Great idea!!!

JR320

Shiny_Rock
My cousin sang "The Luckiest" during my sister''s wedding ceremony. It was beautiful.

Bex215

Rough_Rock
HI Violet,

I think I have sung at about 2 million weddings over the past 10 years. I''ve sung all kinds of weird stuff, but some of my favorites have been:

the prayer (its a duet with andrea bocelli and celine dion but it can be done as a solo)
at last (although I personally think this is a better first dance song, rather than an aisle song)
valentine, martina mcbride (my favorite)
the wedding song, peter paul and mary (kinda cheesy but classic)
come rain or some shine
someone to watch over me
when you say nothing at all

I''ve also done the more traditional Ave Maria and Panis Angelicus stuff, but I dont blame you for not wanting to deal with learning songs in other languages.

Good luck and let us know what you pick!

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
At a recent wedding, someone sang "Feels Like Home".. a great song.

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/14/2009 8:52:54 PM
Author: JR320
My cousin sang 'The Luckiest' during my sister's wedding ceremony. It was beautiful.
This IS a pretty song - i just youtubed it - gorgeous, thanks!

Oupeargirl - i LOVE that song "feels like home," great idea!

Bex215 - thanks for all that information - are you a singer by trade? I really like come rain or come shine, and someone to watch over me - i'll have to check out the Martina McBride song as i am not familiar. As to the traditiional Ave Maria type songs, i am actually afraid she'll ask me to sing something like that - and i wouldn't mind, but like i said i think i'd rather not attempt to lean another language song....

these are great suggestions ladies - i knew i could count on you!

EDIT: OK, I am an idiot - i completely know that Martina McBride song - it's beautiful! I just didn't know that it was her singing it!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results