shape
carat
color
clarity

Suggestions for a gift from father to daughter for her wedding?

affguy

Shiny_Rock
So my daughter is getting married later this year and has sweetly reached out to me with concern about how nervous I might be about my only daughter getting married. I'm not the least bit stressed about it, but thought it might be nice to pick up something nice to give her as a "you'll always be my little girl" symbol. Part of me is concerned that I should leave such gestures up to her husband, and I certainly wouldn't want to show him up, but another part of me says this could just be our little thing. Soo...with a budget of $2k or less (preferably closer to $1k), would anyone here have suggestions for maybe a pendant, or earrings or something that would be a nice symbol of the relationship between a father and daughter? I did consider getting them his & hers watches, but they both already wear fitness watches, so that seems a bit off the mark, plus it's not really the sentiment I'm hoping for.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Without knowing much about the wedding outfit, style preferences and age etc. of the OP's daughter, I would go safe and suggest a set of pearls instead, and personally, I believe this set from Pearl Paradise is great value and versatile:

PP's 18in 3-piece 8.5-9.0mm Freshadama Pearl Set

I would add a pair of dangling earrings for extra versatility (should be within or just a little over the 2k budget pending on which one you choose):

PP's Freshies & Diamond Dangling Earrings #1

PP's Freshies & Diamond Dangling Earrings #2

PP's Freshies Dangling Earrings

One of the reasons I suggested a set is that, should your future SIL decide to gift her a piece of jewellery to mark the occasion, she should still be able to wear a piece or more from the set on her big day.

Good luck with whatever you decide on your generous gift, and congratulations in advance!

DK =)2

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
Without knowing much about the wedding outfit, style preferences and age etc. of the OP's daughter, I would go safe and suggest a set of pearls instead, and personally, I believe this set from Pearl Paradise is great value and versatile:

PP's 18in 3-piece 8.5-9.0mm Freshadama Pearl Set

I would add a pair of dangling earrings for extra versatility (should be within or just a little over the 2k budget pending on which one you choose):

PP's Freshies & Diamond Dangling Earrings #1

PP's Freshies & Diamond Dangling Earrings #2

PP's Freshies Dangling Earrings

One of the reasons I suggested a set is that, should your future SIL decide to gift her a piece of jewellery to mark the occasion, she should still be able to wear a piece or more from the set on her big day.

Good luck with whatever you decide on your generous gift, and congratulations in advance!

DK =)2

Pearls are a classic choice

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How old is your daughter? What sort of jewellery does she normally wear? I agree pearls are a good choice, they could even be worn at the wedding.

Personally I’d go for high quality stud earrings, maybe Mikimoto? Or a pendant (I find these more wearable than a strand). If you prefer diamonds then you could easily find a pair of small studs in that budget.

Or combine the two? This is very pretty,

MjK1

Shiny_Rock
A pearl pendant is classic and you should be able to get a nice one with your budget...and reading the thread, everyone agrees with me! :lol:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How about something from Lightbox?
They are lab grown diamonds. They have some lovely blue diamonds, perhaps some earrings or a bracelet?
Something Blue or something New for her wedding day.

I think pearls are a lovely classic choice as well! Does your daughter already have diamond studs? I would definitely do a pearl strand and pearl studs, and do detachable pearl drops (perhaps slightly long ones) that she can hang from diamond studs if she has them or just long pearl earrings if she doesn’t. I think that would be jewelry she would wear a lot and get a ton of use out of :)

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
What is her birthstone? Or any favorite color?

mjea

Shiny_Rock
This is so sweet and congratulations to your family! I don’t know your daughter’s style but like other posters have mentioned pearls are great and timeless.

Do YOU wear any jewelry? If you do, matching (or just for her) pinky signet rings could be fun and meaningful and wouldn’t compete with any future gifts her new DH would gift her.

MiniMinerva

Shiny_Rock
If it were me, I would love the idea of a piece that included my birthstone like @Polabowla and @icy_jade suggested, since it would be a reminder of the month that something very significant happened in both me and my dad’s lives! I feel like that would capture well the “you’ll always be my little girl” sentiment that you sweetly expressed. Between a pendant and earrings, I might prefer a pendant since that can be more easily layered with other necklaces and give me more opportunities for keeping that symbolic piece close to my heart. Earrings can be a little more exclusive for real estate. In any case, you are such a thoughtful dad and she is a lucky girl to have you!

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Gotta hear more about what she's like, her style, interests, coloring (hair, skin, eyes), clothing choices, age etc.

When I was 26 and getting married, I had no interest in pearls, but that was me. Then I went thru a pearl stage and still don't wear 'em.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh what an exciting moment your daughter getting married
this is a lovelly idea
I too think some pearls
If she doesn't wear them now she will most likely rediscover them in the future

personally if my dad had asked me i would have liked a braclete but he died when my sister was still at high school and im not married

Do you have anything that was your mother's to give her
i have nothing from my grandparents on dad's side

Enjoy every moment you can with your daughter
Dad's are special

Nymf

Shiny_Rock
That is such a lovely thought! I received diamond drop pearl earrings from my dad (custom made w diamonds repurposed from jewellery from my deceased mom), I wore them on my wedding day and very often afterwards. She’ll love whatever you get her!!

affguy

Shiny_Rock
What is her birthstone? Or any favorite color?

Ruby, and her clothes often tend toward warmer colors. Yellows, oranges, and reds are common, with occasional green or purple but rarely blue or gray/black.

affguy

Shiny_Rock
Gotta hear more about what she's like, her style, interests, coloring (hair, skin, eyes), clothing choices, age etc.

When I was 26 and getting married, I had no interest in pearls, but that was me. Then I went thru a pearl stage and still don't wear 'em.

She'll be 33 before the wedding, and leads a very active lifestyle (running, backpacking, climbing) with lots of travel, but wears somewhat classic business attire when she has to go into the office. Her fashion style when she goes out with friends makes me think "throwback", but that might just be due to my not paying attention to what's actually in style these days. Blonde hair with pale skin in the winter that takes a moderate tan during the summer.

affguy

Shiny_Rock
Do you have anything that was your mother's to give her
i have nothing from my grandparents on dad's side

I have my grandmother's engagement ring that was given to her by my great grandmother (her mother-in-law). My grandparents got engaged during very troubled financial times and couldn't afford such a luxury, but my great grandmother insisted that her daughter-in-law have a ring to mark the occasion. It's a very modest yellow gold plated ring with a couple of tiny diamond chips in it, but I bet the material could be repurposed into something.

affguy

Shiny_Rock
A necklace with both of your birthstones perhaps.

She's July and I'm December, so red and blue. I'll do some googling to see if anything jumps out at me. Thanks!

affguy

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone for all of the suggestions. It sounds like there's a clear majority in favor of pearls, but also some leaning toward birthstones, or diamonds, or family jewelry. Lots to think about, but this at least gives me some places to start! :)

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Diamonds are a girls best friend. Pearl studs are also classic. Please choose something classic and timeless. I would not do birthstones for this occasion.

Totally agree, ideally this piece would be something she could look out age 50 and still be able to wear!

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This is such a lovely idea. I would go for diamonds or a gemstone (assuming you know her color preferences) earrings or pendant. I would be very hesitant on pearls, I think they are a bit marmite for a lot of folks.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I hesitate to recommend pearls as they are organic gems and depending on the level of care, may not be as lasting as some other gems.

Also, in some cultures pearls represent tears and are considered bad luck for weddings.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I recommend using her birthstone only. You, as her dad, would be commemorating her birth. Having both your birthstone and hers in the same piece would be tricky to pull off and could be expensive. Matching sizes, hues, clarity, quality, etc. of the stones alone would require sourcing from vendors. Scroll through the colored stone forum here and you will see what I mean. Especially rubies- quality is all over the place. Then you would have to assist in the design process, CAD review, metal choice, size, etc. which is super hard. You will probably be over the $2k limit pretty fast. Plus, without knowing the situation, having your birthstone and not also her mother’s seems a little one sided. But a gift from dad to daughter is wonderful. IMHO, a small ruby or pearl pendant or or pearl or ruby stud earrings are fabulous and classic choices. You said she was not a fancy jewelry girl and all of these can be worn with casual or fancy attire. Congrats on the upcoming wedding. Your thoughts are in the right place.

Aerielle Max

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations on your daughter's wedding. An eagle pendant would be a nice gift. Eagle symbolizes a fatherly figure. In myth and other cultures, it means focus, power and dependability.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results