shape
carat
color
clarity

Submitting Proposal Idea for Approval

See-Bee

Rough_Rock
Hey everyone,

I've dated my gf for over 3 years now. She's finishing grad school right now. So, that gives me plenty of time to get the ring and plan a proposal. I'm not quite sure how to pull this off. So, I'll submit my current thoughts and try to get some feedback.

I've always done romantic things for her on special occasions. I did a scavenger hunt on her birthday during the first year we were together, and that was a huge hit. She got a small gift and another clue at each business along the way. So, I guess I set the bar high from the beginning. Hidden presents, extravagant stationary with present details, spur of the moment vacations after finals weeks, etc. So, I want to tie all of these elements into the proposal, kinda like wrapping up our dating experiences before we embark on our life together.

In an attempt to keep the proposal a surprise, this plan will have to coincide with our next anniversary so she doesn't get suspicious.
The current plan is to keep the morning pretty low-key and go to eat lunch at the place we had our first date (it was a lunch date). When we get back home, I'll give her this awesome envelope with a copy of a treasure map that I gave her on her first birthday (a day at the spa). So, off she goes to the spa. When she's done, clue #2 is a puzzle, which she's terrific at (and part of her 2nd birthday gift), that sends her to her favorite nail salon. Next, she'll get a poem (2nd anniversary) that explains we have dinner plans for tonight and that she should treat herself to a nice dress.

At this point, I have some questions:
1.) Do I tell her to get a new dress and include my credit card?
2.) Do I send her to someplace specific and get them to send me the bill?
3.) Some other way of getting her a nice dress for the occasion.

After that, she head home to get ready for dinner. I pick her up for dinner and we go to a nice place in town. I'll rent out the romantic wine room for a couples dinner. After that, we head back home where my friend has decorated the house with candles and flowers. When we get through the door, she'll be looking around and that will give me the opportunity to propose.

We really don't have a special "spot" around town. And I know she would prefer a private proposal. Should I:
A.) Go with the plan I have now and propose after dinner at home?
B.) Propose before dinner at home? (I wonder if we'll even make it to dinner).
C.) Some other option.

I understand the importance of the story of the proposal. Although scavenger hunts have been done before, it's already been incorporated into our relationship and wouldn't seem out of the norm. She's a wonderful woman and deserves an equally wonderful experience. Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Sincerely,
See-Bee

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
See-Bee said:
At this point, I have some questions:
1.) Do I tell her to get a new dress and include my credit card?
2.) Do I send her to someplace specific and get them to send me the bill?
3.) Some other way of getting her a nice dress for the occasion.

You've certainly thought about this in detail! For this one, perhaps ask her ahead of time about buying her a dress for, say, your anniversary. So she can pick it out and try it on and then thinks it will be your anniversary present. In my experience, expecting her to buy a dress on the spot can be hard....girls normally will want to try on a TON of dresses and multiple, multiple stores. Seems like your plan may work better with the dress already chosen!

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
See-Bee|1311799843|2978251 said:
We really don't have a special "spot" around town. And I know she would prefer a private proposal. Should I:
A.) Go with the plan I have now and propose after dinner at home?
B.) Propose before dinner at home? (I wonder if we'll even make it to dinner).
C.) Some other option.

Hmmm...this one is difficult. I think guys tend to be nervous about the whole proposal thing so perhaps do it before dinner, otherwise you may be anxious and nervous. That way you can celebrate at dinner!!

See-Bee

Rough_Rock
I was worried that noone would respond. Thanks central for taking the time to help me out! :wavey:

Now that you mention it, I can definitely see where you are coming from with the dress. I can see how that would backfire; so, I'm going to take your advice and go shopping with her ahead of time to pick something out. :wink2:

I can assure you that I will be nervous, but I wonder if we'll even go to dinner if I propose beforehand. I guess it doesn't really matter. Doing it when she gets home would allow me to set up the whole house on my own, instead of having someone else have to set it all up. And it could even give me the option to cook dinner instead of planning on going to a restaurant. I like the idea of having options.

Thanks! Any other suggestions would be welcome!

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Glad to help - keep us posted on how it goes and, of course, post some ring pics!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Your gf is a lucky lady! The proposal plan sounds wonderful and I completely agree with the advice central gave you...finding a dress is difficult enough...finding the shoes and accessories to go with it in one afternoon is definitely a lot of pressure (though I know that you meant this with the best of intentions)....good luck with the proposal...do you have the ring???

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
yes - tell us about the ring!!!

See-Bee

Rough_Rock
Haha. I'm working on the ring. I've got my options narrowed down. All that is left is to just pick it out.

With all of the options out there, it's a tough decision, but, I know how important it is. So, I'm taking my time to make sure that my final decision is one I will never regret!

It's going to be Awesome! :D And don't worry, I'll share some pics after I give it to her!

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
See-Bee|1311964366|2979948 said:
Haha. I'm working on the ring. I've got my options narrowed down. All that is left is to just pick it out.

With all of the options out there, it's a tough decision, but, I know how important it is. So, I'm taking my time to make sure that my final decision is one I will never regret!

It's going to be Awesome! :D And don't worry, I'll share some pics after I give it to her!

Can't wait - it's really best to take your time. If you can be patient, then it'll be perfect!

audball

Ideal_Rock
I think it sounds like a very sweet idea. I agree with central and yenny though - dress shopping before the event would be better. I know dress shopping can sometimes be very stressful/frustrating and the last thing you'd want to do is put her on the spot and be upset and have to settle for something instead of feeling fabulous for her big night.

I also like the idea of proposing before dinner so that you can celebrate over dinner and get the nerves out of the way. Decorating yourself would be more special (to me) I think than having a friend do it too.

Then you can have several plans for dinner. I like the idea of then cooking dinner for her in a private setting, but give her the option of going out in case that's what she'd prefer. If you don't want to stress about cooking/dinner but still want to make it a night in, maybe you can hire a caterering service to come and cook for both of you? Best of both worlds?

Goodluck! I can't to hear what you decide! Do come back with pictures after she says YES!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results