shape
carat
color
clarity

Stylish clothes for women over 50

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
I find that I still dress in jeans and t-shirts and I am in my 50s. I must admit that it is difficult to find something that is stylish and age appropriate.
Dressing up is not a problem; it is the casual dressing that I am having a problem with. Are there any gals over 40 who can give me any advice as to where to shop?

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
I''m in my mid 40''s and know exactly what you are talking about! I tend to lean towards conservative and solid colors as I''ve gotten older. Lots of khaki, navy, white, black and a pop of red here and there. I follow the trends more with my choices for handbags and shoes.

I think Talbots has some great stylish clothing options. I also am looking forward to the new Liz Claiborne with Issac Mizrahi behind the spring collection. One other website for you to check out is J Jill

bebe

Ideal_Rock
Oh, this is a huge pet peeve of mine. It is becoming more and more difficult to dress appropriately, but not dowdy and matronly.
Or look like I raided my daughter''s closet.
I''m 54, but I''m no where close to wearing elastic waist pants!
I shop at Banana Republic, Loft, Ann Taylor, Nordies, Black & White, Zara, ....

I use to be a t-shirt and jeans gal for casual wear, but I think I need something
a little more put together these days. So I understand soocool what you mean.

It''s tough to find things that I think are ok age wise, but still have some sense of style.
The designers have just ignored this I think. Or they think they are targeting it and really not.

Rock Candy

Brilliant_Rock
Hi soocool! I am also in your age group and wanted to let you know what works for me. I love, love, love David Kahn jeans! The fit is soooo flattering and they come in a wide array of styles. I shop at Nordstroms and they carry alot of these. The trick for me is to pair the jeans with a cute pair of shoes, nice top and accessories. It just polishes off the look. And of course, my diamond earrings - won''t leave home without them! Hope that helps!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I buy a lot of great clothes for my mom from Garnet Hill and Eileen Fisher.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
I just turned 50 and buy the majority of my clothes from J Crew, Banana Republic, and Ann Taylor. I think all three have decent, nonfrumpy looking clothes.

Mrs.Guz

Shiny_Rock
I am 51. I buy most of my clothes at JCrew, Banana Republic and Ann Taylor.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/20/2009 7:41:38 PM
Author:soocool
I find that I still dress in jeans and t-shirts and I am in my 50s. I must admit that it is difficult to find something that is stylish and age appropriate.
Dressing up is not a problem; it is the casual dressing that I am having a problem with. Are there any gals over 40 who can give me any advice as to where to shop?
I tend to stick to classic basics like RL shirts and various jeans, pants etc, boots or kitten heels or stylish flats, then accessorize. I find I can look decent this way and reasonably stylish. It is amazing how a scarf and great earrings can turn a basic outfit into a really great look. Neutral colours and a pop of bright colour is a good method too.

One good look can be a well cut blazer type jacket, great jeans, plain white T shirt and flats or boots. This looks great at its most basic, add a scarf, belt, earrings or an eyecatching necklace and it can look even better. But above all experiment, there are lots of great options out there for us ladies in our prime!
35.gif

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/23/2009 7:01:20 PM
Author: Rock Candy
Hi soocool! I am also in your age group and wanted to let you know what works for me. I love, love, love David Kahn jeans! The fit is soooo flattering and they come in a wide array of styles. I shop at Nordstroms and they carry alot of these. The trick for me is to pair the jeans with a cute pair of shoes, nice top and accessories. It just polishes off the look. And of course, my diamond earrings - won''t leave home without them! Hope that helps!
Thanks Rock Candy! I love a dark wash jean and usually buy mine at the Gap. But what I find that the jeans there are usually very low cut. I hate the high waisted ones and would prefer something between the two extremes. Do you know if the David Kahn jeans come in talls. I''ll check them out on-line to see where there is a Nordstroms near me.

I find that most casual slacks/jeans are about 1-inch too short so unless they are slightly flared (flared for some reason are a little longer) I have to go with tall and have them altered. (Another problemof mine. Sleeves are sometimes too short on me so I have to try everything on)

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Most seem to say Banana Republic and Ann Taylor, 2 places I never thought of before. These stores are near me and I will check them out.

My biggest problem is finding the casual slacks/jeans long enough, but I am not quite a tall (I am between 5"8 and 5"9...probably closer to 5''8" though) and if I am lucky to find a tall, I have to get them altered(shrtened). Also, long sleeve tops are not always long sleeve on me either. But I do know the better quality clothes always fit better.

I guess I just have to spend a full day and go out there and try, try, and try clothes on. Sometimes I feel like I would love to be nominated for What Not To Wear!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I noticed in a post in another thread your height--both Theory and Tahari have long inseams. And I might suggest Pagie Demin as well.

cheers--Sharon

Rock Candy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/24/2009 9:48:33 AM
Author: soocool
Date: 3/23/2009 7:01:20 PM

Author: Rock Candy

Thanks Rock Candy! I love a dark wash jean and usually buy mine at the Gap. But what I find that the jeans there are usually very low cut. I hate the high waisted ones and would prefer something between the two extremes. Do you know if the David Kahn jeans come in talls. I''ll check them out on-line to see where there is a Nordstroms near me.

I find that most casual slacks/jeans are about 1-inch too short so unless they are slightly flared (flared for some reason are a little longer) I have to go with tall and have them altered. (Another problemof mine. Sleeves are sometimes too short on me so I have to try everything on)

Oh my Gosh - you sound EXACTLY like me - I''m 5''8" and 130# - and have long arms and legs!!! David Kahn jeans are NOT up to the waist, but not the low rise like my daughter wears. They are plenty long for me! Nordstroms will even alter them for you - sometimes I have them nipped in at the center back waist seam to avoid that "gap". I also find alot at Ann Taylor Loft, Banana Republic and Black & White.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Rock Candy: My DH laughs at me, because he says I am afraid to let people know how tall I am. In person I tell people I am 5''7" when I am closer to 5"8"/5''9". My MIL used to make nasty remarks when my daughter was little saying how terrible it is for a girl to be tall and my daughter was always in the 90th persentile for height. She said she would pray hard she wasn''t as tall as me. l

crystalheart1

Brilliant_Rock
WOW... why are models so tall then? Designers love to dress tall women...your MIL sounds jealous... I am 5''5'' and like to wear heel 3 or 4 inches to make me taller.

It is very slenderizing. I have found some cute items at Macys... I usually like Jones NY signature collection. There are some good stores at The Willow Grove Mall for women "our age". Bloomingdales also has some nice collections as well.

We should plan a shopping trip
36.gif

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/24/2009 3:22:30 PM
Author: crystalheart1
WOW... why are models so tall then? Designers love to dress tall women...your MIL sounds jealous... I am 5''5'' and like to wear heel 3 or 4 inches to make me taller.

It is very slenderizing. I have found some cute items at Macys... I usually like Jones NY signature collection. There are some good stores at The Willow Grove Mall for women ''our age''. Bloomingdales also has some nice collections as well.

We should plan a shopping trip
36.gif
I usually go to the Oxford Valley Mall, but I think the Willow Grove Mall may have more stores that I would like. Is there a Bloomingdales in Willow Grove? There is a Jones NY outlet near me in Lahaska that I frequent, but I find that I usually buy dressier clothes there.

Have you ever gone to Chicos?

crystalheart1

Brilliant_Rock
Oxford Valley Mall is 5-10 mins from work..There is a Bloomingdales at Willow Grove Mall. WG has a few more upscale stores in it. I like Anne Taylor but do not have luck at THe Loft.

I am not a big fan of Chicos..I get a matronly vibe from some of the outfits ( no offense just MHO ) Have you tried to new Shops at Village Square in Warrington ( 611 )? There are some great stores to check out.

Black and White is another store that has cute clothes. I like the look being shown for spring summer.. the knit
( white or yellow) little crop sweater over longer tanks or silky flowing tops. Good for upper arm coverage

NovemberBride

Brilliant_Rock
This is such a small world - I was at the Willow Grove Mall today at lunch. I think it is the second best mall in the area (after KOP of course). I am not in my 50''s, but I hopped on to this thread looking for suggestions for my mom.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Ditto to the Chico''s suggestion. My mom is in her 50s and the way she dresses is really cute. She likes bright, vibrant colors and layering. I''m in my twenties and I''ve actually purchased some basic pieces there for myself. Oh- and the sizing is fun - it''s all in low numbers - so a "size 3" is really a 16.

www.chicos.com

bebe

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/24/2009 9:55:04 AM
Most seem to say Banana Republic and Ann Taylor, 2 places I never thought of before. These stores are near me and I will check them out.

My biggest problem is finding the casual slacks/jeans long enough, but I am not quite a tall (I am between 5''8 and 5''9...probably closer to 5''8'' though) and if I am lucky to find a tall, I have to get them altered(shrtened). Also, long sleeve tops are not always long sleeve on me either. But I do know the better quality clothes always fit better.

I guess I just have to spend a full day and go out there and try, try, and try clothes on. Sometimes I feel like I would love to be nominated for What Not To Wear!
Banana Republic offers Womens Tall sizes, check online.

Not sure but Ann Taylor and Loft might also online.

crystalheart1

Brilliant_Rock
I also have to agree with SDL .. JCPenneys is another option ( great prices and sales ) They have Jones, Claiborne, and Nicole Miller as well... The Jones NY is priced better than Macys and you can get great in season collections as high as 50% off... I am wearing a Jones NY suit today at work that I bought at JCP for $79.99 and have gotten many compliments. It is a year round pin stipe fully lined and cut very well. It will look so cute in the summer with a silky tank and a pair of high heeled sandals. Today I have a long sleeve V neck light knit with a pair of high boots. It looks just as good as the suits that sell for three times that amount.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
I have to agree that I love Jones NY too! Also, crystalheart, I go to the Jones outlets in Lahaska often, but often end up with the stuff that is dressy.

I need some stylish dress down clothes. Yesterday, while my doggy was at the groomers, I went to the mall and got some great tops at NY&Co., (they also have a store in the Village Square in Warrington, but it rained yesterday so I decided on the mall) but again I have that pants problem.... too short. At the end of 4 hours I was so tired trying on clothes and stopping by the jewelry stores to get my fix, I went home. Next shopping excursion I am only going to look for pants (jeans and casual slacks) and devote my day to that.

SDL, I used to get clothes at Chadwick's but became really frustrated ordering through them because even though they said "in-stock" many times when I received my order it said "out of stock" and no one would notify me beforehand so I could replace with something else or order in a different color so I wouldn't have to place another order and pay additional shipping. I hashed this out with them one time and they caved and shipped me stuff without having to pay anything additional.

Shoes,handags, & accessories are not a problem for me. I used to work part time at an Etienne Aigner outlet and twice a year we got a 50% discount off everything (even the discounted prices) in the store, so my closet is well stocked with shoes and handbags. When I run out of these then I will have a real problem.

I think my next trip will be to the Franklin Mills Mall which I haven't been to in quite a while. I believe they have a Nordstroms (hopefully they still do) and I will check out the David Kahn jeans.

Thanks everybody for the most helpful suggestions for shopping!!

bebe

Ideal_Rock
Speaking of jeans,

I found Kut from the Kloth brand at Nordy''s and love it.
Not too low and long in the leg. I look at waist bands, hoping
to find wider ones, they seem to support and keep the ol'' tummy in!

Also just bought some denim shorts from Levi''s. Wide waist band, length
a little above the knee, and stretch. Higher cut in the back, slight dip in
the front. I thought I''d never find shorts I like, but these were perfect.

I have a new T J Max near me. I look in there after I''ve roamed every isle in
the Home Goods store next door! This week I bought 3 prs. of sandals (Kenneth Cole and Boutique 9)
and 2 dresses. I never find stuff I like in discount places, in fact never really looked
cause I thought it was ucky. Guess I just got lucky. It is hit or miss, you never
know what is lurking in there.

crystalheart1

Brilliant_Rock
SooCool... The Nordstroms at Franklin Mills closed a few years ago.. The Mall has really gone down hill and it is not really safe in the evening . Forget weekends ... I don''t think you would comfortable there.. It gets really crazy .

If you are in the area, a mid week visit during the day might be fine. They do have an Ann Taylor outlet ( nothing too great ) They also have a Saks and Neiman Marcus outlet but prices can still be on the high side.

Do you ever go in to Gail West at Peddlers Village? She has some cute casual clothes,, but at boutique prices. It would be a good place to get ideas...

Happy Shopping
35.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m just now seeing this! My daughter tells me from time to time that she''s going to nominate me for What Not to Wear!!!
9.gif
I don''t really wear anything bad (mostly classics), but I wear things to death! So I really could use a new wardrobe. My number one problem is that I really hate to shop for clothes. It is just overwhelming to me. You find something you like and they don''t have your size. Or you go try some things on and need another size, so you have to get dressed and go back and try to find the other size and then go back and start over! Plus, I do not have anywhere in my town to shop, so it requires a planned trip for a day to really go shopping. And, of course I''ve been waiting until I knock off that extra 20 lbs. *sigh* But I''m absolutely going to have to do it before some vacations and other events this summer!

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/31/2009 11:10:07 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
I''m just now seeing this! My daughter tells me from time to time that she''s going to nominate me for What Not to Wear!!!
9.gif
I don''t really wear anything bad (mostly classics), but I wear things to death! So I really could use a new wardrobe. My number one problem is that I really hate to shop for clothes. It is just overwhelming to me. You find something you like and they don''t have your size. Or you go try some things on and need another size, so you have to get dressed and go back and try to find the other size and then go back and start over! Plus, I do not have anywhere in my town to shop, so it requires a planned trip for a day to really go shopping. And, of course I''ve been waiting until I knock off that extra 20 lbs. *sigh* But I''m absolutely going to have to do it before some vacations and other events this summer!
I usually pick up the same style in a couple of sizes to make sure which one will fit so I don''t have to get dressed again and get a different size. The stores I go to are great, because the SAs will often get a different size for you if you ask.

This past weekend I picked up a nice pair of capris in an 8 which was a tiny bit loose. I didn''t have my Spanx on whenI tried them so when I got home I put on my Spanx and they were too loose.

I don''t need to lose any weight, but I do need to trim up my abs a liitle bit more. Spanx is great because it holds everything in and no lines.

bebe

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/1/2009 10:06:06 AM

Date: 3/31/2009 11:10:07 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
9.gif
I usually pick up the same style in a couple of sizes to make sure which one will fit so I don''t have to get dressed again and get a different size. The stores I go to are great, because the SAs will often get a different size for you if you ask.

This past weekend I picked up a nice pair of capris in an 8 which was a tiny bit loose. I didn''t have my Spanx on whenI tried them so when I got home I put on my Spanx and they were too loose.

I don''t need to lose any weight, but I do need to trim up my abs a liitle bit more. Spanx is great because it holds everything in and no lines.
regarding Spanx - I tried wearing them with jeans once. Big mistake, LOL. My jeans felt like they wear falling down. It was something with the 2 fabrics against each other, dunno. The jeans fit well, I wanted a smooth line in the rear end area and thought the Spanx would be great. Maybe I should try again.

I''m doing squats in an effort to keep my butt where it should be. Seems it''s growing down the back of my legs!

mochi

Ideal_Rock
My problem is I''m petite, but big busted, without a butt.... I hate shopping for clothes, especially dresses.

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
I have the same problem only I am short and hippy. I also can''t get rid of my baby tummy even after a million crunches. I love loose fiitting stuff but I don''t want to look frumpy.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results