shape
carat
color
clarity

Style longevity of designer jeans?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay, I know everyone is cutting back for economic reasons, but aside from financial issues, do you gals think that designer jeans such as 7''s will still be in style in 2-3 years from now? That is boot cut style, I''m talking. . .

Here''s the pair I bought the other day:

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2827369/0~2376780~6009391~6009905~6009908?mediumthumbnail=Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=6009908&P=1

I''m not a handbag person so for me Jeans are my splurge. These were to celebrate my new job. Of course I paid cash for them and we have the money to afford them, so I''m not looking at this from an economical aspect, but as a style aspect.

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
I still wear jeans from decades ago. I am sure that your 7''s will be good way into the future - especially since they are boot cut.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I say buy jeans that flatter you and don''t have a lot of trendy details and they will always look nice. Classic straight fit or bootcut in a nice dark wash will always look great. If you bought them for the sake of the brand being in style well there is always a new "it" brand, and even now Seven isn''t the most "in style" brand IMO. But they ARE classic and flattering to many women!

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
I have Citizens and 7''s that are 3 or 4 years old that still are "in style." As long as they are classic looking, I don''t think they will look dated for quite some time.

Also, designer denim tends to be higher quality, so they will hold up better for a longer period of time.

Definitely. Maybe

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, those are a pretty classic style. I wouldn''t worry so much about them being in style as I would them fitting well. I have kept/worn the same "bootcut" style for years, even if I get new ones. I say go for them!

goldenstar

Brilliant_Rock
I still wear my first pair of bootcut Seven jeans that I bought in 2001! They are still going strong.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/1/2009 6:35:52 PM
Author: OUpeargirl
I have Citizens and 7's that are 3 or 4 years old that still are 'in style.' As long as they are classic looking, I don't think they will look dated for quite some time.

Also, designer denim tends to be higher quality, so they will hold up better for a longer period of time.
You know I used to think this too...but I'm just not sure that it's true any more...

I've owned all kinds of brands (except for 7s because they just look horrible on me) Lucky's, AGs, James Cured by Sean, and others...ranging from $110 to $185...I can't say I notice the difference as far as how they hold up against the less expensive brand names...

ETA: but, MC to answer your question, I agree with what some of the others said...as long as the details aren't too "over the top" and it's a fairly dark wash I think they'll be OK for several years...

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think they are super cute. If you love them and they look good I do think jeans can last your years. I will say I notice a HUGE difference in fit from the jeans I bought over the summer and my pre-preggo jeans (that are a few years old). The newer ones are *much* lower cut. I was talking to a friend with a baby my baby''s age and she noticed the same thing once she started wearing her old pants. That being said an onlooker would not notice it. Enjoy them!

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Dark jeans are always going to be stylish. Generally, I only buy dark boot cut denim. I really like some of the darker Rock and Republic washes but I refuse to walk around with two huge Rs on my bum.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/1/2009 9:51:08 PM
Author: pennquaker09
Dark jeans are always going to be stylish. Generally, I only buy dark boot cut denim. I really like some of the darker Rock and Republic washes but I refuse to walk around with two huge Rs on my bum.
Yep, I know, some of the pockets are totally overboard. I'm not even sure about the 7s I bought. They're the only ones with a substantial logo type design on the pockets, so they're different from my general attire. BUT, I'm not a fan of logos in general, but I love designer jeans and pair them with simple sweaters and non-logo handbags, so I won't be walking around looking like a Vogue magazine paper doll collage.
1.gif

CJ2008 - Which brands have you found to hold up as well as premium brands? As I've noticed that the premiums I have always keep their shape for years longer. I use to buy Gap jeans for days when I'd be playing with my kids in the yard and the denim in the rear end part would start to sag and loose shape after only about six months.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Have you tried any Levis recently? I''m not talk about the cheap ones, but the kind you get online from levis.com or from one of their stores.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
I''d ditto those who said that classic, dark, boot-cut and other simple but flattering styles are likely to be "in" for several years at least, no matter the brand.

In my experience, designer denim doesn''t necessarily hold up better overall, but it does fit much better to begin with and retains that fit over time, washes, etc...that''s why I''m willing to pay the premium for it.

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Classic is classic, and always will be
2.gif

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
IMHO boot cut jeans will always be in style. Flare is a different story
3.gif

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/2/2009 12:37:15 AM
Author: MC

Date: 2/1/2009 9:51:08 PM
Author: pennquaker09
Yep, I know, some of the pockets are totally overboard. I''m not even sure about the 7s I bought. They''re the only ones with a substantial logo type design on the pockets, so they''re different from my general attire. BUT, I''m not a fan of logos in general, but I love designer jeans and pair them with simple sweaters and non-logo handbags, so I won''t be walking around looking like a Vogue magazine paper doll collage.
1.gif

CJ2008 - Which brands have you found to hold up as well as premium brands? As I''ve noticed that the premiums I have always keep their shape for years longer. I use to buy Gap jeans for days when I''d be playing with my kids in the yard and the denim in the rear end part would start to sag and loose shape after only about six months.
Hmmm...I think my point was more than I''ve had the expensive denim sag too...maybe it''s just my big butt hahaha But truthfully I didn''t do a comparison to really see how long they took...the James jeans sagged a lot and those are the most expensive ones I own. On the other hand, I have a pair of Guess Premium jeans that look just as good today as they did when I first bough them like 3 years ago.

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Hmm.. I''ve had Express and Gap jeans get holes in them after two years or so. My two favorite pairs of jeans are both Citizens and I have had them for almost five years now. They still look great.

So maybe try Citizens if you are having trouble with them keeping in shape!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have had my inexpensive LEE jeans for years!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/2/2009 10:43:29 AM
Author: AmberGretchen
I''d ditto those who said that classic, dark, boot-cut and other simple but flattering styles are likely to be ''in'' for several years at least, no matter the brand.
So jeans have to be the crisp dark color to be classic? Eh! lol I do have four pairs of dark wash but am always afraid to wear them because if I do, then they have to be washed and then they won''t be dark anymore. . .so, I wear the ones that are medium wash.

What is the best way to retain the dark color? My friend says to wash the dark ones inside out with a bit of vinegar. Has anyone tried this? I did it once with a pair of Joe''s and the jeans came out fine - didn''t smell like vinegar - but since it was only one wash, the color, of course, looked the same. I always line dry my jeans, so they won''t fade from that. (And all my jeans are washed inside out.)

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/1/2009 4:42:15 PM
Author:MC
Okay, I know everyone is cutting back for economic reasons, but aside from financial issues, do you gals think that designer jeans such as 7''s will still be in style in 2-3 years from now? That is boot cut style, I''m talking. . .
Probably. 7''s were popular six years ago or more, so I don''t think they''re rushing out the back door right now.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/1/2009 4:42:15 PM
Author:MC

Here''s the pair I bought the other day:

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2827369/0~2376780~6009391~6009905~6009908?mediumthumbnail=Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=6009908&P=1

I''m not a handbag person so for me Jeans are my splurge. These were to celebrate my new job. Of course I paid cash for them and we have the money to afford them, so I''m not looking at this from an economical aspect, but as a style aspect.
I own that exact pair in petite! I do think that if you buy a neutral jean in a bootcut in a medium/dark wash without any crazy markings that it can definitely last a few years. I have a couple of pair of paige jeans from over two years ago that I still wear several times a week. They are still selling that style in a similar wash, so they must still be in style. I buy expensive denim, but I hardly ever buy it since I just buy simple jeans with a good fit. I only buy a new pair when an old pair gets holes.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Wash cold, inside out, with salt and they''re fine.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/2/2009 6:25:18 PM
Author: kcoursolle

I own that exact pair in petite! I do think that if you buy a neutral jean in a bootcut in a medium/dark wash without any crazy markings that it can definitely last a few years. I have a couple of pair of paige jeans from over two years ago that I still wear several times a week. They are still selling that style in a similar wash, so they must still be in style. I buy expensive denim, but I hardly ever buy it since I just buy simple jeans with a good fit. I only buy a new pair when an old pair gets holes.
Yep, Nordies T.B.D. department still carries them, so hopefully they''re still okay! lol I finally wore mine today. I considered taking them back, but since they''re hemmed, seems like returning them isn''t ethical! lol One time in Nord, there were a pair of AG jeans that I tried on and apparently someone did have them hemmed and then took them back and convienently, they were the perfect length for me. . . .nice. They were $80 because of that!

Did you get the "flip-flop" ones? I tried them on and they are the perfect length for flats. (oh, and like you, I buy expensive denim, but only when needed - around one pair every 6 months or so).

So, what ARE the "it" jeans right now? I feel like such a fashion idiot for asking. lol

cbs102

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/2/2009 11:57:05 AM
Hmm.. I''ve had Express and Gap jeans get holes in them after two years or so. My two favorite pairs of jeans are both Citizens and I have had them for almost five years now. They still look great.

I wear only Citizens. they are my absolute favorite. i have no A$$ at all and they make me like like i have one.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/4/2009 3:43:34 PM
Author: cbs102

I wear only Citizens. they are my absolute favorite. i have no A$$ at all and they make me like like i have one.
Citizens do fit nicely. Regarding the rear: doing squats helps tremedously! That is what I do along with wearing jeans that fit good and are tight in the rear.

cbs102

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/4/2009 3:47:29 PM

Citizens do fit nicely. Regarding the rear: doing squats helps tremedously! That is what I do along with wearing jeans that fit good and are tight in the rear.
i just want to say..i love that you say ''rear''. it makes me giggle!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/4/2009 3:40:37 PM

So, what ARE the ''it'' jeans right now? I feel like such a fashion idiot for asking. lol

I am wondering the same thing MC!

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/4/2009 4:23:15 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
Date: 2/4/2009 3:40:37 PM

So, what ARE the ''it'' jeans right now? I feel like such a fashion idiot for asking. lol

I am wondering the same thing MC!

Boyfriend jeans.

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock

Haha see, I have wide hips and a bubble butt.. And citizens actually make it look smaller! They are miracle jeans, I guess!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
there is some jean finder website that you enter your measurements in and it tell you what works for your size/body shape. I did it a couple of years ago and it suggested Lucky lil'' maggie''s. I LOVE them for me. I''ve got Paige jeans and 7''s and finally bought the Lucky''s a couple of months ago and they are my favorite jeans right now and fit the best. I wish I would have started buying them a couple of years ago. I don''t really think designer brands go out of style before I wear them out. Of course, i cold wash and dry all my jeans, I''m too lazy to line dry anything.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results