shape
carat
color
clarity

Stuller 3 stone ring quality?

tweeter8177

Brilliant_Rock
I bought a 1 ct. round diamond yesterday and plan to do a traditional 3 stone RHR. A local jewelry store priced out a Stuller setting at $1,340 in platinum (no pave on the shank and excluding sidestones). I am thinking of .3ct sidestones (.6ctw) which they priced at $1,500 for uncerted stones. The stones are overpriced in my opinion, so I could source those myself. I really liked the setting. Thoughts on quality?

I will be meeting with BE (ERD) next week, so I could have them make the ring as well. But at least I have seen the stuller setting and know what I am getting. I am open to other options too!

Stuller Setting
img_4206_0.jpg
img_4212.jpg

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How fun!! I would call some other jewelers and have them price out the same Stuller setting you like. $1340 in platinum seems pricey to me for Stuller? I would call IDJ and ask for a price for the same setting. Was the $1500 for uncerted stones for the pair or for each? I'm sure IDJ could get some nice 30 pointers for you as well. I've never worked with them, but they seem to have a good reputation for reasonable prices and excellent customer service.

For just a tad more, you could do something like this too. They create the heads specifically for your stones so that may be worth the small price increase. BGD can also get Stuller so you can ask for a quote on the 3 stone from them too.

Another option is the Vatche X-prong 3 stone (a trellis too). HPD priced out this setting for me in platinum and it was pretty reasonable. I think Vatche may be better quality than Stuller. Most vendors can get Vatche as well (IDJ, GOG, etc.).

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/three-stone-trellis-platinum-5376p

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/three-stone/crossed-trellis-platinum-5460p

http://www.dvatche.com/index.php?page=collection&catID=2,9&startRow=6&id=144

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stuller is typically a good value & I really like the airiness of that Stuller mounting's profile!
But like JDDN, I'm thinking you might be able to snag it at a lower price from another vendor. Here's Stuller's online catalog page for it (#121882), cast for melee on the shank:
https://www.stuller.com/products/121882/?groupId=110588

Neither Whiteflash nor Brian Gavin post enough information (mm dimensions and dram weight) online about their own trellis 3-stones or Vatche ones to facilitate comparison along those lines with Stuller 121882, but I gather you didn't think the Stuller mounting was too thin/lightweight?

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Stuller is a fine outfit. Bear in mind that they are only selling a component. The setting labor, which is often among the most expensive elements, is probably being provided by the local jeweler. Also bear in mind that all setters are not equally skilled, and the best are rarely the cheapest.

tweeter8177

Brilliant_Rock
JDDN - Thanks!! The price of the side stones was for both, but it seems like I could get BN signature diamonds for less or at least the same price but certed. I really like the Vatche X-prong!! I will be in NY next week so I should go to IDJ and talk to them about the Stuller and Vatche.

MollyMalone - Thank you! Yes, the Stuller setting did seem very light but I wasn't sure if that was because it was a sample piece. I will definitely price it out with other jewelers. I am in know way loyal to the store I went to!

Denverappraiser - Thanks for the input! Good point on the setting cost and I am worried about the setting ability of this particular store I saw the setting at.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If you don't trust them to do a good job, find another jeweler. Nearly everyone can do business with Stuller. That said, the 'sample' rings that stores often have in the showcases are usually made of silver or nickle, which is less than half of the weight of the same ring made in platinum.

tweeter8177

Brilliant_Rock
Any other thoughts, like going custom with BE? I am kind of leaning toward the Vatche setting, although I don't see it on ID Jewelry's website. I assume they could get it though.

E B

Ideal_Rock
David Klass custom made me a three stone setting in plat for hundreds less than the Stuller quote, FWIW!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Get matched OECs for your sides if you are speaking of the 1 ct OEC. It won't look right with round brilliant sides. I'd check with Erica and Grace for those. I'd go larger than .30 sides unless you have a very tiny finger. It will be a very dainty ring with .30 sides.

Vatche is a a few steps up from Stuller in quality. Depends on what you are after.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also, in that sample ring you posted, is that a 6.5mm cz center? Just curious about the stone sizes in that one. I actually do like the style of the Stuller setting.

tweeter8177

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1463414585|4032300 said:
Get matched OECs for your sides if you are speaking of the 1 ct OEC. It won't look right with round brilliant sides. I'd check with Erica and Grace for those. I'd go larger than .30 sides unless you have a very tiny finger. It will be a very dainty ring with .30 sides.

Vatche is a a few steps up from Stuller in quality. Depends on what you are after.

Hi Diamondseeker! I have a couple of projects going! The 3-stone is for a loose 1ct MRB I have. The OEC/cushion would be for another RHR, most likely a bezel stacking set. The sample ring I have on has a slightly bigger center than a 1ct. The sales person "guessed" a 1.2ct center with .25ct sides (each). He wasn't into details as much as I wanted though!!!! I figured with a 1ct center that .3ct - .35ct side stones would work. I tried on the below ring which was probably a 1ct with .4ct-.5ct sides each and I didn't care for the look, but it was also a different setting.

image_752.jpg

tweeter8177

Brilliant_Rock
Laila619 - Thanks! Boy more choices!

E B - Wow, I can't believe DK comes in less than Stuller. Good to know!

I guess after having a 3 stone made by Steven Kirsch, the Stuller pricing was quite shocking to me. I do still like the Stuller setting and I know what I would be getting. I also really like the Vatche and I am familiar with the brand. Oh decisions! :wall:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh goodness, a sales person who had to guess on the sizes of the stones in the sample ring? Yikes, that is pitiful. I have a 1.65 ct mrb that I am thinking of making into a three stone is why I asked. I like the proportions of that first 3 stone you posted.

I am glad you were talking about a mrb center! lol! Scared me for a second! But by all means with .30 up, I would want graded side stones.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since BE is not a Vatche retailer, you might call IDJ and ask them
* for a price quote on the Vatche 319 in platinum as well as Stuller 121882 with no pave
* to contact Vatche for the dram weight of the platinum mounting for a 6.5 mm center stone, ring size 7 (what the specified dram weight of the Stuller online catalog page is based on). Seems likely the Vatche weighs somewhat more than the Stuller because the Vatche shank is a little bit beefier & the diamonds in the Vatche are thinly banded in metal
* if they happen to have a 319 in-house for you to try on

My own thought is that since you really like both the Vatche and the Stuller, there's no need to go custom. But IDJ is just around the corner from BE, so it would be easy to physically cover both bases before deciding whether to make this a custom project :))

tweeter8177

Brilliant_Rock
MollyMalone|1463429363|4032390 said:
Since BE is not a Vatche retailer, you might call IDJ and ask them
* for a price quote on the Vatche 319 in platinum as well as Stuller 121882 with no pave
* to contact Vatche for the dram weight of the platinum mounting for a 6.5 mm center stone, ring size 7 (what the specified dram weight of the Stuller online catalog page is based on). Seems likely the Vatche weighs somewhat more than the Stuller because the Vatche shank is a little bit beefier & the diamonds in the Vatche are thinly banded in metal
* if they happen to have a 319 in-house for you to try on

My own thought is that since you really like both the Vatche and the Stuller, there's no need to go custom. But IDJ is just around the corner from BE, so it would be easy to physically cover both bases before deciding whether to make this a custom project :))

Wow thanks MollyMalone! This if very helpful!! I think I agree with you on not going custom. What does it mean when you say "the diamonds in the Vatche are thinly banded in metal"? The things I liked about the Stuller was the spacing between the center diamond and the sidestones, as well as the tilt of the stones. It looks like the Vatche has the same spacing and tilt but the Stuller has a slightly higher center diamond? I have tried on many 3 stones and have had a struggle finding one I like with the right proportions. I am sold on contacting IDJ though! IDJ didn't have the Vatche on their website, so they might not have one to try on.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Like Blue Nile, IDJ's links seems to expire immediately after they get posted here, so you may have to do a copy-and-paste to see their Vatche headliner page:
http://idjewelry.com/designer-collection/vatche.html

Not sure if "basket" is the correct word in this instance (sounds more involved than the reality here), but each of the 3 diamonds in the Vatche 319 ring would be seated in a little metal band that runs around the pavilion; good profile view on this page:
http://www.primejeweler.com/vatche-x-prong-3-stone-engagement-ring-319/

That's not true of Stuller mounting 121882, where you have wholly unobstructed views, in profile, of the stones (except for the prongs)

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really liked the angle of the side stones relative to the center stone with the Vatche setting too. It has a nice curve or flow. I think what MM is saying is that the Vatche setting has bars in the basket whereas it appears that the Stuller setting you like does not have bars, rather it's only the prongs holding the stone. I feel that the bars add some security and that is what I'd rather have, but it's up to you!

Also, I know you can specify to Vatche how low or high you'd like the center stone to be set which is really nice. You'll have to ask whichever jeweler you go with if they will send your stones to Vatche to be set or if they are going to order the setting and set your stones. Personally I'd rather have my stones sent to Vatche. I also know you can request the alloy of Platinum if you're going with platinum. Ie, PLAT/RU vs PLAT/IR.

tweeter8177

Brilliant_Rock
MollyMalone|1463447712|4032496 said:
Like Blue Nile, IDJ's links seems to expire immediately after they get posted here, so you may have to do a copy-and-paste to see their Vatche headliner page:
http://idjewelry.com/designer-collection/vatche.html

Not sure if "basket" is the correct word in this instance (sounds more involved than the reality here), but each of the 3 diamonds in the Vatche 319 ring would be seated in a little metal band that runs around the pavilion; good profile view on this page:
http://www.primejeweler.com/vatche-x-prong-3-stone-engagement-ring-319/

That's not true of Stuller mounting 121882, where you have wholly unobstructed views, in profile, of the stones (except for the prongs)

Ohhh, I get it! Thanks for clarifying the difference!!! I didn't notice that. Which do you prefer out of curiosity? :D I really appreciate your help!!!!

tweeter8177

Brilliant_Rock
JDDN|1463451023|4032524 said:
I really liked the angle of the side stones relative to the center stone with the Vatche setting too. It has a nice curve or flow. I think what MM is saying is that the Vatche setting has bars in the basket whereas it appears that the Stuller setting you like does not have bars, rather it's only the prongs holding the stone. I feel that the bars add some security and that is what I'd rather have, but it's up to you!

Also, I know you can specify to Vatche how low or high you'd like the center stone to be set which is really nice. You'll have to ask whichever jeweler you go with if they will send your stones to Vatche to be set or if they are going to order the setting and set your stones. Personally I'd rather have my stones sent to Vatche. I also know you can request the alloy of Platinum if you're going with platinum. Ie, PLAT/RU vs PLAT/IR.

Thank you JDDN! I am hoping IDJ will have both settings to look at. I do really like the Vatche, so thank you for the recommendation! I totally forgot about the platinum mix and I didn't know you could specify the diamond height. I am so darn forgetful, especially when I get excited in jewelry stores, so I gotta get this into my husband's memory bank. He remembers everything and these are both important details. Thank you!
:wavey:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The harder platinum alloys are 90%plat/10%iridium or 95%plat/5%ruthenium. These are the ones to request (standard is 95plat/5irid which is not as hard as the others and scratches more easily). I think Vatche sets the stones at the proper height and I did not tell them how high to set my diamond.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer the sleeker, airier look of the Stuller mounting, but you could ask Yekutiel (last name is Davidov) at IDJ if he thinks that it poses a risk to the stones.

FYI Vatche is less than 2 blocks from IDJ. If you call IDJ in advance to request a viewing, maybe Vatche would loan him a sample for your appointment? (have no idea if Vatche would be amenable to that, but hey, no harm in asking)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I really like the Stuller ring. It's lovely.

tweeter8177

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you everyone!!!! I thought I would give a little update. I called Yekutiel at ID Jewelry today. He HIGHLY recommended the Vatche setting over the Stuller for its quality and wouldn't even price out the Stuller. He is going to try to get a sample of the Vatche setting for me to see in person next week and also get GIA certed sidestones for me to look at. The pricing was comparable to what I was offered locally with the Stuller setting and non-certed stones, although I was hoping it would be less.

I am a little nervous because I have seen so many 3 stone rings I don't like!! I tried on a Gabriel yesterday and the prongs just overwhelmed the diamonds/setting. I thought the Stuller prongs were small and discreet on the setting I tried on.

I can be quite shy and feel easily pressured on these type of things, so sometimes I don't stand up for what I want. Wish me luck on this visit!!!

tweeter8177

Brilliant_Rock
Argh, so Yekutiel called me and said that Vatche's setting does a 84% diameter ratio, so .5ct side stone (each) to 1 ct. center, otherwise it will be extra to change the proportions. He found really nice .5 ct diamonds for me and is going to price everything real well (although way more than I wanted to pay). I will look at them with my diamond next week, but I don't think I will be happy with that ratio. The Stuller ring had way smaller sidestones and I just don't care for the larger proportions on my finger (although it could be the setting is more the issue). My options:

• Yekutiel will custom make a ring for me. He won't even offer Stuller since it is too thin.
    Go with my local jeweler for the Stuller anyway and source my sidestones myself to get certed.
    Scrap the idea since the above options make me nervous. I was going to get a second RHR with a 1 ct. old cut in a bezel setting, so I could repurpose this diamond instead.

What would you do? I am panicking! :cry:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would not set two one carat rounds in rings. Do you have a diamond pendant yet? That's one thought (it could be in a halo to make it more proportional to your e-ring). But if not, I would not get a 1 ct OEC since you already have a 1 ct mrb.

But reading back, it looks like you just bought this 1 ct stone. Can you return it? I'd do a three stone with a larger center. This is Victor's three stone with a 1.5 center and about .3 sides and I think it would work better size wise especially if you ever wear it with your e-ring.

https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/the-lily-round-trilogy

Then if you wanted a 1 ct OEC as a stacking ring, it would make more sense to me.

(I don't like 84% sides. I like about 65-70%)

3_stone_ring_proportions_0.jpg

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would go custom route with IDJ and get EXACTLY what you want! I almost went with a stuller setting for Miami emerald cut diamond, and am so glad I went custom. I am so thrilled with the custom job by IDJ that I'm working on another ring project with Yekutiel!

tweeter8177

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1463534104|4033016 said:
I would not set two one carat rounds in rings. Do you have a diamond pendant yet? That's one thought (it could be in a halo to make it more proportional to your e-ring). But if not, I would not get a 1 ct OEC since you already have a 1 ct mrb.

But reading back, it looks like you just bought this 1 ct stone. Can you return it? I'd do a three stone with a larger center. This is Victor's three stone with a 1.5 center and about .3 sides and I think it would work better size wise especially if you ever wear it with your e-ring.

Then if you wanted a 1 ct OEC as a stacking ring, it would make more sense to me.

I totally get where you are coming from and I do really value your opinion, but I honestly don't want to go bigger for RHR. I know blasphemy for a pricescoper!! :lol: I just wouldn't be comfortable wearing it daily to work and that is what I am looking for right now. It is good to hear that you also prefer the smaller ratio on a 3 stone!

tweeter8177

Brilliant_Rock
PintoBean|1463536283|4033026 said:
I would go custom route with IDJ and get EXACTLY what you want! I almost went with a stuller setting for Miami emerald cut diamond, and am so glad I went custom. I am so thrilled with the custom job by IDJ that I'm working on another ring project with Yekutiel!

That is certainly an option, but I am just nervous that I might not like the final ring! I want it to look exactly like the ring I tried on, at least close to it (diamond spacing, tilt and proportions), but Yekutiel is so against the Stuller. I am sure he has valid reasons though, so the Stuller ring makes me nervous too! Ugh!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tweeter8177|1463537814|4033039 said:
diamondseeker2006|1463534104|4033016 said:

I totally get where you are coming from and I do really value your opinion, but I honestly don't want to go bigger for RHR. I know blasphemy for a pricescoper!! :lol: I just wouldn't be comfortable wearing it daily to work and that is what I am looking for right now. It is good to hear that you also prefer the smaller ratio on a 3 stone!

Okay, I will stop trying to get you to increase the size! :lol: I don't really have a solution to the setting problem. I wouldn't do custom without CADs, that's for sure.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results