clarity

Strongest hurricane EVER ... tonight

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Should arrive in Mexico tonight. :blackeye:

http://mashable.com/2015/10/23/hurricane-patricia-global-warming/#4l97XLmdKOqo

SNIP
Hurricane Patricia, which is threatening the coast of western Mexico with a catastrophic impact, intensified at rates that were among the fastest scientists have seen anywhere on Earth. The storm went from 60 mph winds to 200 mph in just 30 hours.

By early Friday morning, the storm was the most intense hurricane ever recorded in either the eastern Pacific or entire North Atlantic basin, which also includes the Gulf of Mexico and Caribbean.

screen_shot_2015-10-23_at_11.png

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Being an East Coast Florida girl these storms scare me. :-o .. making landfall at night is all the more frightening, because the sun comes up and all you see is destruction. Praying for these people. I hope they made the choice to leave. There isn't one thing worth staying for which could cost you your life.

We rode out a smaller Category storm and I swore never ever again.. and I was on the East Coast and landfall was on the West Coast and skipped across the state and back into the ocean right over us reentering the ocean right at our city. I can't imagine taking a direct hit.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wish the people in the affected areas to come out of this alive and safe. :(

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I remember monitoring the Katrina news hoping the predictions were wrong... followed by the terrible realization that they were not....

I'll hope these predictions are wrong... and that people in that area are able to get out of harm's way.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Oh my, I've seen the types of homes in which the poorer people in these areas live in this area... Shacks made from anything they can find. This is so dangerous, my heart goes out to them.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1445625694|3941403 said:
I am laughing so hard and wishing I could hug you.

At least the orcas have a new playground up in the arctic now that it is melting. :rolleyes:

Praying for the people of Mexico.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
What was the biggest before this one? Katrina? It looks humungous and far reaching-we've got tornados in NW Iowa this evening, so I wonder if there's a lot of places weather affected by this hurricane? I'm not sure how it works, but it seems feasible to me!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To my fb friend who is lamenting that this hurricane had to be named after her :boohoo: ... this is so not about you!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VRBeauty|1445643088|3941479 said:
To my fb friend who is lamenting that this hurricane had to be named after her :boohoo: ... this is so not about you!

Well, here's another one that is having trouble with the name! You can't help but somehow take it personally!

I truly feel for these people and hope that they have higher, inland ground to escape to. I recently watched a special on Katrina - there were people that only had a half tank of gas and felt that it wouldn't take them far and that even if it did, they had no good options of a place to live if they could never get back. I was amazed by how helpless they felt. It is always humbling to realize that everyone doesn't see life through the same eyes. I pray that these folks feel that they have more options rather than trying to ride it out.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I am thinking this is sarcasm. I recall reading one poster who researched and made sure their house was however many feet above sea level, so they wouldn't be affected by rising sea levels. I thought it was Kenny? but I could be mistaken. Reality: it affects you whether you believe in it or not.

I was reading in some areas, the highways are like parking lots so many people can't leave even if they wanted to. Unfortunately little advance notice because it escalated quickly. I do hope people are safe.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1445641650|3941472 said:
What was the biggest before this one? Katrina? It looks humungous and far reaching-we've got tornados in NW Iowa this evening, so I wonder if there's a lot of places weather affected by this hurricane? I'm not sure how it works, but it seems feasible to me!

Google says Wilma.

This is so hard for me as hurricanes along with all weather phenomena fascinate me to no end, but the degustation will be vast and sweeping.

It's hard to have both genuine interest and sadness.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MissGotRocks|1445643864|3941486 said:
VRBeauty|1445643088|3941479 said:

Well, here's another one that is having trouble with the name! You can't help but somehow take it personally!

I truly feel for these people and hope that they have higher, inland ground to escape to. I recently watched a special on Katrina - there were people that only had a half tank of gas and felt that it wouldn't take them far and that even if it did, they had no good options of a place to live if they could never get back. I was amazed by how helpless they felt. It is always humbling to realize that everyone doesn't see life through the same eyes. I pray that these folks feel that they have more options rather than trying to ride it out.

I'm sorry - you're right, I suppose it's a natural reaction to take it personally when a major storm is named after you.

Here's hoping my namesake is a dud. ;))

And that people who are affected by the storm manage to get and stay out of harm's way.

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1445641650|3941472 said:

Packrat, I've been trying to copy a chart for you that shows that Hurricane Patricia has greater sustained winds and lower air pressure (the lower the pressure the more intense the storm), compared to Hurricane Wilma, Hurricane Katrina, and Hurricane Andrew.

Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to copy the chart, so below is a link to the CNN website page that contains the chart (near the bottom of the page).

Regardless of the specifics of Hurricane Patricia, my thoughts are with the people in the area dealing with the storm, the landslides that may result from the heavy rainfall, and the aftermath of such severe weather.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/23/americas/hurricane-patricia/

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
part gypsy|1445646082|3941489 said:

I am thinking this is sarcasm. I recall reading one poster who researched and made sure their house was however many feet above sea level, so they wouldn't be affected by rising sea levels. I thought it was Kenny? but I could be mistaken. Reality: it affects you whether you believe in it or not.

I was reading in some areas, the highways are like parking lots so many people can't leave even if they wanted to. Unfortunately little advance notice because it escalated quickly. I do hope people are safe.

Yes sarcasm.

I'm aware we live in a coastal city on the Pacific Ocean.
I'm aware our house NOT is located in the lowest elevation of our city near the sea.

I may have posted what you wrote above, but I doubt it.

... not that there's anything wrong with paying attention to rising sea levels when buying coastal real estate.
Actually that sounds pretty wise ... so maybe it WAS me. :lol:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This seems more frightening because of the speed with which it happened. The death and devastation of Katrina in the US feels unparalleled to me. I won't argue facts. But my feelings are my feelings. Katrina's death toll knocked me over...as did the stories.

I agree, however, that when a hurricane hits an underdeveloped country the death toll rises far more quickly. My heart goes out to Mexico and the Mexican people.

AGBF

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am keeping all those affected in my thoughts and prayers. :blackeye:

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
while it's not over yet, reports are the damage is not as bad a feared, and missed the 2 bigger cities when it came inland. Let's keep our fingers crossed everyone remains safe!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
part gypsy|1445691664|3941591 said:
while it's not over yet, reports are the damage is not as bad a feared, and missed the 2 bigger cities when it came inland. Let's keep our fingers crossed everyone remains safe!

+1 ...
With roads and communication infrastructure damage it may take time to discover the damage.

I'm so glad it landed in an unpopulated area and mountains near the coast quickly tamed the winds.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results