shape
carat
color
clarity

STROKE

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
A good reminder! Thanks for sharing, Loves Vintage =)

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Yes, my late mom took a nap. When she woke up her face was droopy and she could not speak well.

She called me. I knew the warnings and called an ambulance. She got treatment within the first hour of opportunity.

It can save a life.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd like to add that vision changes can also indicate a stroke. That's what happened to me
When I was 34 weeks pregnant. A clot lodged into an artery in my left eye resulting in central vision loss.

I never knew that vision changes can indicate a stroke, there was no pain, no other symptoms and I was 35 and relatively healthy and active,

kmarla

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
In addition to the warning signs mentioned in the chart, I also had double vision and balance issues during my strokes. I kept falling over on my right side. I also was unable to speak or follow many simple tests like shrug shoulders, touch nose etc.

shaggy1

Shiny_Rock
My friend's husband had a cluster of strokes that presented as bad headaches. The symptoms can vary widely.

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for the info. :wavey:

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
Timely! Just a few months ago my friend (32) had a small stroke. Definitely was a surprise to all of us!

Marquise_Madness

Shiny_Rock
Young women in their twenties who take hormonal birth control are at risk too, especially if they take combined hormone pills (those containing both estrogen and progesterone).

I have migraines, so I'm already at an elevated stroke risk, so I switched to the Mirena IUD (slow-release localized levonorgestrel) to lower my risk of stroke. Thankfully my blood pressure is low.

Here is a list of risk factors for women, but it's not exhaustive:

http://www.strokeassociation.org/STROKEORG/AboutStroke/UnderstandingRisk/Hidden-Risk-Factors-for-Women_UCM_310403_Article.jsp

Note that speech changes, confusion, numbness, weakness in one side, and flu-like symptoms can be signs of a stoke. My grandmother had flu-like symptoms and weakness on her left side for her stroke and was misdiagnosed as having the flu and sent home for 3 days without treatment.

I really want to stress the birth control part again. My friend's mother had a stroke at 22 from taking the pill. And my other friend's mother did at 28. Actress Aubrey Plaza had a stroke at 22 as well. I got off the pill and on the IUD at 21 because I finally began seeing a neurologist for my migraines!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results