shape
carat
color
clarity

strmrdr - photos need some of your gentle critique :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
I had another shoot yesterday. She was WAY more fun to take pictures of than anyone else I have shot yet. It helped that she was super cute. I thought I''d ask you for some more gentle critique. I did my best to follow your "rule of thirds" suggestion
1.gif

cara_06.jpg

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
I liked the "Independent Artists" sticker there.

cara_07.jpg

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
I had to crop out a beer bottle
20.gif

cara_11.jpg

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
123!

cara_12.jpg

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
That window behind her head was so perfect for rim lighting.

cara_13.jpg

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Better pose.

cara_14.jpg

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
The cutest shoes EVER...wait til I get to the B&W one!

cara_15.jpg

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
I used a light gun here, but no other extra light.

cara_16.jpg

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Marilyn-esque!

cara_19.jpg

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
That little spot of paint looked like a head and shoulders.

cara_21.jpg

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
This one has gotten some great feedback on DA and flick-r. It was the only one I put a lot of photoshop time into.

cara_redshoes.jpg

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Last one. This was just for fun, and I haven''t posted it anywhere else. It''s mostly for her, since I sort of ripped off the idea from a photographer friend of mine
25.gif

cara_24walking.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love them MP.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
MP, I''m loving these, and I totally love her shoes! Are you getting paid for these yet?
2.gif

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Thanks ladies!

Lauren, not yet - the ladies I have been working with are using my photos for their portfolios, and vice versa. I figure for stuff like this, which is just fun for me, I won''t charge for some time because it benefits both of us. The stuff I''ll charge for in the future will be like senior portraits or weddings.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
MP, every batch just keeps getting better! These are fun, great job!!!

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Thanks TGal! I''m hoping to see some great shots from you too once you get your D40 :)

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/5/2008 3:00:26 PM
Author: MonkeyPie
Thanks TGal! I''m hoping to see some great shots from you too once you get your D40 :)
Hehehe. I''m not a portrait photographer...too hard. They move! I like landscapes. I''ll find some I''ve posted here and post it on the DSLR thread I started.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/5/2008 3:34:50 PM
Author: TravelingGal
Date: 10/5/2008 3:00:26 PM

Author: MonkeyPie

Hehehe. I''m not a portrait photographer...too hard. They move! I like landscapes. I''ll find some I''ve posted here and post it on the DSLR thread I started.

I actually prefer non-moving subjects as well lol. Macro was my first love and it is still my favorite thing to shoot, I just need a better lens for it to continue. *runs over to your other thread*

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think they''re fab MP! Really great.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like these ones MP, they turned out really well and this gal was a good model!! I think though that it would be good if you could use your cat as a subject/ model when she is feeling better, with a little icecream in her bowl.....
41.gif
9.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love this one.
Bright colors, well laid out, excellent location selection.
Now for the CC see how her right shoulder/arm looks huge?
If she had moved her arm back or turned slightly or shot from different angle it would have looked more in proportion.
Her eyes are in shadow a little fill light(flash or reflector) to make them pop would have been good if going for a model look.
I do think it adds feeling to the picture however and makes her look moody which matches the facial expression.
So this one depends on what you were going for if you should have used fill.

cara_06.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
This one is a little orange on my monitor.

What is she looking at?
I bet she hates this one because her thighs look frumpy.
Her ankles look to be in a contorted position.
I''m not a fan of up skirt shots.

cara_07.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
cara_11.jpg

This is a smokin shot.
This one I would have shot like this,,,except would have got the rest of the statue in it.
Again it could use a little fill to pop the eyes.
White balance is a little on the warm side. (orange)

web_cara_11.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
fixed WB and lightened up around the eyes a little.

web_web_cara_11.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is the last one for now, more later.

I love the concept and location.
Needs a little fill flash to pop the eyes and add catch lights.
What is she looking at? Eyes a little to the side good, all the way bad.
Does she smile?

I would have told her to imagine there is a hot hunk walking down the side walk towards her then captured a dreamy look on her face.

The green plant behind her looks a little like it is growing out of her head.
lightening it in post would eliminate that a little more.

So far it looks like your doing a good job on location and the controlling exposure.
The next step is controlling your model(posing and expression) and some fill flash.

cara_12.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m going to do the rest later 30 min is about my limit for deep CC before my eyes cross.
Try this next time, camera in manual mode, set the proper exposure, turn on pop-up flash set it to the lowest power setting or 1 up.
Adjust as needed.
The goal is to catch the eyes and lighten shadows but not change the overall exposure.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/5/2008 5:17:03 PM
Author: strmrdr
This is the last one for now, more later.

I love the concept and location.
Needs a little fill flash to pop the eyes and add catch lights.
What is she looking at? Eyes a little to the side good, all the way bad. She was funny - she did that on her own most of the time. I think she likes how it looks, and I just let her lol.
Does she smile? Yes, but NEVER when I was looking at her through the camera! Lol I am under the impression she doesn''t like how she looks when she smiles. Most of my models have done this quite a bit - is that a style maybe?

I would have told her to imagine there is a hot hunk walking down the side walk towards her then captured a dreamy look on her face.
The green plant behind her looks a little like it is growing out of her head. LOL I never even noticed that.
lightening it in post would eliminate that a little more.

So far it looks like your doing a good job on location and the controlling exposure.
The next step is controlling your model(posing and expression) and some fill flash.

cara_12.jpg

Thanks a lot, strm, I knew you would have some good pointers.
I actually had a reflector, but wouldn''t you know it was CLOUDY? I was so bummed when I realized my reflector was virtually useless. So yeah, a lot of them do have an orange hue. I picked the one cloudy rainy day in the desert - lucky me!
20.gif

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/5/2008 5:29:46 PM
Author: strmrdr
I''m going to do the rest later 30 min is about my limit for deep CC before my eyes cross.

Try this next time, camera in manual mode, set the proper exposure, turn on pop-up flash set it to the lowest power setting or 1 up.
Adjust as needed.

The goal is to catch the eyes and lighten shadows but not change the overall exposure.

That''s a good idea, I''ll have to try that next time. My on-camera flash is obnoxiously bright, but maybe outdoors it wouldn''t be so bad lowered down. I do shoot in manual only though. I''m going to test this on my husband later
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results