shape
carat
color
clarity

Strip-searching a 13 year old?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

doodle

Brilliant_Rock
CNN Link

This case started up in 2003 but goes to the Supreme Court this week, so I was wondering what others thought about this. I know there are a lot of parents on here, so I was curious as to how you would react if your child were strip-searched if they were suspected of possessing drugs or weapons. Thoughts?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Personally I think it was totally unnecessary. If my child was suspected of it I would expect the school to CALL ME and let me deal with it-not strip search my child at school. I find this especially appalling that they did it after only a classmate accused her of having the drugs. Really? A classmate says something and you do a strip search? And for freaking ibuprofen?

Weapons are slightly different and make me *less* uncomfortable-but I still don''t think a strip search is necessary.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
I always feel like these news stories are likely to be missing important information...If it really was as described, then I agree, unnecessary and inappropriate, but I really wonder if perhaps there''s more to it.

megumic

Brilliant_Rock
From what I read in the case for the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals, it seems there were allegations that Savanna had been drinking before a dance and that her parents had provided alcohol. They deny these allegations on the record.

In any case, I find this to be a violation of her 4th Amendment Rights. Whether or not she had what the school officials thought to be extra strength ibuprofen, it was not grounds for a strip search.

The official Supreme Court decision hasn''t yet been published, but will post again when it does.

cara

Ideal_Rock
I think the zero tolerance drug policy is absurd - its not like there is a strong secondary market for ibuprofin as a recreational drug. If you are going to deputize school officials as in loco parentis, they should also be required to use some common sense and respond in a manner proportionate to whatever offense the child is alleged to have commited. Here is another example from a Washington post article about a girl who took a birth control pill in school without getting it dispensed from the nurse. She had a prescription AND her mother knew about it but she was still suspended for two weeks because of the zero-tolerance drug policy. How does this help anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results