shape
carat
color
clarity

String Quartet or Guitars for Ceremony and Cocktail Hour?

maple2012

Shiny_Rock
Hi Ladies!!!

You all helped me very much with my "all white themed wedding with gold accent" dilemma... I thought you might add some insight to my second dilemma... what musicians to hire for my 1) Guest Arrival 2) Ceremony 3) Cocktail Hour

Here are the options! I cannot afford to hire both and I can only pick one. As a reminder - it's a vineyard wedding in napa valley in Fall.

1) String Quartet All the Way! Example Music from the musicians: https://winecountryentertainment.com/Wine_Country_Trio.html

2) Guitars All the Way!! Example Music from the musicians: https://winecountryentertainment.com/Trio_Solea.html

I was always sold on the string quartet until I found those guitarist. Now the idea of guitars in a vineyard... and those really upbeat tunes during the cocktail hour to get the guest in the mood for partying has me questioning the string quarter. What do you think?

Regardless of what group I pick I am having them play A Thousand Years for the song I walk down the aisle to. There is an example of the string quartet I want playing this song on the link I put above but there isn't of the guitarist. Here's another guy on a guitar playing that song for reference on what it would sound like (but with 2 guitars and a Bass): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKEq8HFDKwU

Maple

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: String Quartet or Guitars for Ceremony and Cocktail Hour

I'd say string quartet because I've always thought weddings at wineries with them playing were just the best!

We looked into a string quartet but found it would not work for us due to travel time (about doubled the price) and because the songs we wanted done weren't things they usually do. They were willing to play stuff that isn't on their list of pieces BUT at a charge of $200/song (some quartets charged more than this) PLUS $200/hour of rehearsal time as they practiced the song.
You might find out if they play the songs you want or what it will take for them to play those songs.

Anyway...
I've heard some amazing guitar pieces so I think it would be wonderful no matter which you choose!

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock

String quartet gets my vote! I would have had a quartet, but my wedding had fewer than 20 guests so I thought a quartet might be a bit overkill. Went for a single harpist instead, and it was dreamy. :love:

audball

Ideal_Rock

I think it totally depends on the vibe you want. I would traditional think vineyard wedding + string quartet, but that doesn't have to be the case! Which one speaks to you more?

I really like what you said about the more upbeat cocktail hour music prepping everyone for the party. I think it's something different that you don't always see at weddings.

So. What's you're wedding vision/vibe? Are you and your FI very traditional/classic in your choices (ie: string quartet)? Or are you more modern (ie: guitars)?

princesss

Ideal_Rock

I think Gypsy had a guitar player at her fall Napa vineyard wedding and she loved it - I think it's such a cool thing, and classical guitar is a little more unexpected but truly beautiful. I think string quartets are good, but can be kind of generic (which reads "classic" to other people, so YMMV).

maple2012

Shiny_Rock

I made a decision and booked the group!!!!!!

Drum roll......

IT'S THE STRING QUARTET!

Well sort off.... not really. I ended up getting a trio combo of: Piano-Cello-Violin. :bigsmile:

@TooPatient: Thank you for the heads up on the charge of playing songs not on their list! I asked about this and the guitar group charged about the same to learn and play a song not on their designated list. The Trio I hired however will play any song and learn any song... and not charge for this! They were a lot more flexible.

I also learned while sharing the music with my mom that my grandfather use to be a musician and played the violin... he passed away before I was born but gramma will be in attendance at the wedding and I thought it would be a nice touch to have a violin at the ceremony!

I still haven't decided on the theme for the reception... but the ceremony is going to be all white with touches of gold. I think a Violin-Cello-Piano is a good fit.

I also had a "Say Yes to the Music Group" moment. When I finally decided who to book and I listened to their song that I plan to walk down the aisle to.... I started crying!!! OMG. And I was on public transportation in Chicago commuting home. I knew then it was the right decision. :love:

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Congratulations!

Your grandmother will be thrilled no matter what you do, but I think this will be a wonderful special touch!

audball

Ideal_Rock

Yay for making decisions! Such a sweet tribute as well :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results