shape
carat
color
clarity

stressed out...still don't have a wedding planner

slg47

Ideal_Rock
GAAAAH...where to start.

So...wedding is in May and still no wedding planner.

Timeline of events...

contacted wedding planner 1. only does full-service, we are looking for more limited services.
contacted wedding planner 2. over budget.
contacted wedding planner 3. not taking weddings at this time.
contacted wedding planner 4. sounded great, emailed a few times, she said she would get back to me but did not.
contacted wedding planner 5 and met with her. she seemed good but only does 'full service' starting at 7500 which is a bit much. also mom hated her and then went on some rant about how we do not need a wedding planner.
contacted wedding planner 6. she seemed really great. met with her in person, not impressed. she did not follow up which seems a bit odd considering every wedding vendor i have met with has followed up.
contacted wedding planner company 7. was referred to a wedding planner who got bad reviews (should have asked for the one i was referred to).
contacted wedding planner 8. wasn't available on our date but referred me to someone else who works at the same event planning company. talked to other person, she sounded great but wasn't sure if she would be available on our date...told me she would get back to me by the end of the week. called her at the end of the week and we got disconnected...she was rude on the phone and never called me back.
contacted wedding planner 9. not available.

I am going NUTS and do not know where to start...

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
May I ask why you're so set on having a wedding planner if it's causing you this much stress? It sounds to me that you could have pretty much nailed down every major detail of your wedding in the amount of time you've spent researching and interviewing planners...

ETA: If you give us a general vicinity of your wedding, some of the skilled ladies around here might be able to find an option you haven't tried yet...

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I feel that we need to have one...I don't want to be the 'point person' for all of the vendors on the big day...plus our venue has an event before the wedding so I want to make sure everything gets done.

also FI's parents want to work with the wedding planner to coordinate the rehearsal dinner (we are inviting all guests)

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can your maid of honor be your point person with you. I feel like you still have 9 months and can def handle the planning :)

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Amys Bling|1314232894|2998687 said:
Can your maid of honor be your point person with you. I feel like you still have 9 months and can def handle the planning :)

she could but we are all in different states...it would just be easier to have someone there. especially since I am planning the wedding from out of state.

plus she has never been in a wedding before/hasn't been to a lot of weddings.

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Your venue should give you a point person, to whom all of the vendors should go. Pretty standard practice, obviously they want you to enjoy yourself and not feel responsible for everything.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
sunnyd|1314234902|2998741 said:
Your venue should give you a point person, to whom all of the vendors should go. Pretty standard practice, obviously they want you to enjoy yourself and not feel responsible for everything.

Ditto, this is what I had, a "wedding coordinator" from the venue. She was the one who met with me to talk about food, linens, chairs, etc., and was the point of contact for all the other vendors. I planned my wedding from afar, and my people were all in different states too. I didn't use a wedding planner because the one from my venue provided all the services I needed.

Could a friend who lives closer than your MOH act as your unofficial wedding planner?

Otherwise, keep looking and hopefully someone will be available for you!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
jstarfireb|1314238099|2998796 said:
sunnyd|1314234902|2998741 said:

Ditto, this is what I had, a "wedding coordinator" from the venue. She was the one who met with me to talk about food, linens, chairs, etc., and was the point of contact for all the other vendors. I planned my wedding from afar, and my people were all in different states too. I didn't use a wedding planner because the one from my venue provided all the services I needed.

Could a friend who lives closer than your MOH act as your unofficial wedding planner?

Otherwise, keep looking and hopefully someone will be available for you!

the venue provides a catering manager but they only handle the catering aspects and not the entire ceremony/reception.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Can you ask the venue if there is someone they could recommend? Make sure they are bonded and insured.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
slg where are you located? I'm asking because maybe I'll be able to help.

Also, go on stylemepretty.com they apparently have some great recommendations on there!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
centralsquare|1314242975|2998878 said:
Can you ask the venue if there is someone they could recommend? Make sure they are bonded and insured.

I have contacted all of their recommendations!!!!!!

Autumnovember said:

Also, go on stylemepretty.com they apparently have some great recommendations on there!

thanks AN...the wedding is in Austin, TX. I think I will try googling [name of venue] + [wedding planner] and also check out stylemepretty.

and I guess I will try calling...although I prefer e-mail. But calling seems to be the way to go...

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
slg47|1314248022|2998971 said:

I have contacted all of their recommendations!!!!!!

Autumnovember said:

thanks AN...the wedding is in Austin, TX. I think I will try googling [name of venue] + [wedding planner] and also check out stylemepretty.

and I guess I will try calling...although I prefer e-mail. But calling seems to be the way to go...

I'll ask my planner if she knows of anyone in your area....plus I'll do some research on my own for you! I'll let you know how I make out.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Pick a good friend who isn't in your wedding party and that lives in the area to be your point person on the day of the wedding. Take some time to fill them in on how you want the day to go. This could also be someone from your DH's side of things. Just someone that you trust to be available and be able to answer questions.

I know you said that your DH's family wants to work with the planner to do the RD, but it is possible to do that without a planner, as well, if need be.

Bleed Burnt Orange

Brilliant_Rock
You're getting married in Austin? I am too. My planner allowed me to customize her services. I got ALMOST completely full services, but she had other types and does day of. I don't know if I'm actually allowed to say her name on here though. :\ She's way cheaper than 7500 bucks!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Bleed Burnt Orange|1314283187|2999180 said:
You're getting married in Austin? I am too. My planner allowed me to customize her services. I got ALMOST completely full services, but she had other types and does day of. I don't know if I'm actually allowed to say her name on here though. :\ She's way cheaper than 7500 bucks!

I think you can? just not link to blogs?

BBO where are you getting married?

Bleed Burnt Orange

Brilliant_Rock
slg47|1314283586|2999187 said:

Barbara Hearne of Barbara's brides.

The ceremony will be at UCC and the reception is at the Intercontinental.

I saw that you're getting married at the Four Seasons! LOOOOVELY! I love that location and considered it, until I realized it would be way out of our budget. If you share pics...I can't wait to see them! :)

ETA: Hopefully she wasn't one of the ones you mentioned! :(

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock

Ditto. The venue might have a list of people they have worked with and that know the venue and area.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Bleed Burnt Orange|1314284905|2999207 said:

I saw that you're getting married at the Four Seasons! LOOOOVELY! I love that location and considered it, until I realized it would be way out of our budget. If you share pics...I can't wait to see them! :)

my mom has a friend who used Barbara's Brides...I will contact her for sure.

I will definitely definitely share pics!!! I can't wait to get pics...haha...I mean lose weight so I want to be in pics!

BBO when is your wedding?

Bleed Burnt Orange

Brilliant_Rock
slg47|1314285301|2999214 said:

I will definitely definitely share pics!!! I can't wait to get pics...haha...I mean lose weight so I want to be in pics!

March 3rd, 2012. :) I'm getting really excited! :) Yours is May right (sorry...I did a little thread stalking after finding out you were getting married in Austin). That should be great weather for that venue! Have you picked out your dress?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Bleed Burnt Orange|1314286159|2999237 said:

March 3rd, 2012. :) I'm getting really excited! :) Yours is May right (sorry...I did a little thread stalking after finding out you were getting married in Austin). That should be great weather for that venue! Have you picked out your dress?

yes, May.

and I have a dress...here it is! I have posted before but I love it so much I will post again :)
thedress_front2.jpg

Bleed Burnt Orange

Brilliant_Rock
slg47|1314286285|2999239 said:

yes, May.

and I have a dress...here it is! I have posted before but I love it so much I will post again :)
thedress_front2.jpg

It's beautiful! Now that you posted the picture again...I do remember seeing it and thinking the same thing the first time. :) It looks great on you.

ETA: Not to be weird but...what weight are you trying to lose there? You have a great figure!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Bleed Burnt Orange|1314286451|2999242 said:

yes, May.

thedress_front2.jpg

It's beautiful! Now that you posted the picture again...I do remember seeing it and thinking the same thing the first time. :) It looks great on you.

ETA: Not to be weird but...what weight are you trying to lose there? You have a great figure!

OK I called Barbara's Brides and they are still open on that date! She seemed super-nice on the phone and very organized. She is going to send me some stuff to review by e-mail. I am glad that I called!

Bleed Burnt Orange

Brilliant_Rock
slg47|1314287603|2999260 said:
Bleed Burnt Orange|1314286451|2999242 said:

yes, May.

thedress_front2.jpg

OK I called Barbara's Brides and they are still open on that date! She seemed super-nice on the phone and very organized. She is going to send me some stuff to review by e-mail. I am glad that I called!

Awesome!! I hope it might be what you're looking for. If it works out, let me know, that'll be pretty cool. Barbara is very nice, and has a lot of great contacts and experience. She has made the whole thing VERY easy for me! :)

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Yay for PSers being able to help! I'm glad you found someone who might work out for you.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had a day of planner and highly recommend it. Have you checked on theknot Nor Cal board fro recommendations? Mine was a caterer's assistance and I was her first bride. She did great. I don't think you need anyone with a ton of experience just someone organized, positive and capable of quick thinking and problem solving.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeesh!

Sounds like things are getting a bit better though - I hope you click with this planner! You look AMAZING in that dress :appl: :appl: :appl:

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
My wedding planner was a godsend. Worth her weight in gold.

You need to get a good one, but not necessarily an expensive one. Mine was only $1700 and did everything (including all the contracts, negotiations, table set up, ran the day, clean up). I took a long bubble bath, had make up and hair done and got married.

Personal recommemdations are your best bet. That's how I got mine (unfortunately she is in the uk so can't help you)

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Yssie|1314391213|3000722 said:
Yeesh!

Sounds like things are getting a bit better though - I hope you click with this planner! You look AMAZING in that dress :appl: :appl: :appl:

thanks yssie! I think it is going to work out with this planner...one of my mom's friends also used her.

seeing the picture of me in the dress makes me all excited about the wedding :)

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
The dress is stunning!! Crossing my fingers all works out with this planner!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results