shape
carat
color
clarity

Stress-Induced Amnesia

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ugh. I received a call from an unknown number last week. The caller claimed they had kidnapped my daughter (DD2), which I did not believe until they put "her" on the phone and all I could hear was her crying and calling for me. It sounded like her. I remember nothing from that day.

My other daughter (DD1) called the police, who were able to make contact with my daughter (DD2) and verify she was safe. It's a common scam, but I snapped. DD1 took me to the hospital because I was disoriented and had amnesia. They weren't worried about a stroke, so we left after waiting over an hour. I remember nothing. I guess it was situational amnesia and I probably won't remember it all as my brain bailed on me because the call was too upsetting.

I awoke the next day feeling like I had some very strange dreams. My daughters and a couple friends filled me in on some of it. I was my usual inappropriate self so DD1 stopped worrying about me. The day felt fuzzy though.

Today, hubby gave me a little more info. He's a pacifist but said he'd like to beat whoever called me. I guess I asked him a bunch of random questions that day. He said he knew I was going to be OK because I asked him if his mom had died and when he said "Yes" I smirked. I still don't remember that day or much of the day before that. All I can hear is "my daughter's" voice on the phone, calling and crying for me. (I did contact my doctor, but no one is worried about a stroke. I had zero signs and I am surrounded by medical professionals.)

I just needed to share this horrible event with you all, since you are such a supportive community. I figured no one normally remembers each day of their life so this little blip is OK. But, damn! How screwed-up are these people to make such horrible calls? If they hadn't had "her" voice, I'd have been fine. It's just funny how the brain works, that even when I knew she was OK, I still was a mess.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Omfg!!!!

WTF!!!!!

I'm so so so so so sorry this happened to you!!! I'm speechless..........I can't even begin to imagine the trauma you went through/are still going through.

Many many many many many hugs. You're being quite the champ about it!

Omfg!!!!!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm very sorry this butthead harassed you.
This is terrible!

How did they capture your daughters voice calling for you?
Is this some new technology being abused?

thirdrock

Shiny_Rock
I’m so sorry to hear this. How terrible. I’m not surprised that you blocked things out. I’ve had situations where that has happened to me.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Those motherfu... that's beyond low and I don't think your reaction was off. I don't know what I'd do. It's just incredibly cruel. It's evil.
I don't remember what happened the day my mother just died, suddenly, other than just anguish screaming and dropping the phone. I guess I collapsed. DH(then boyfriend)drove the several hours to get us to my parents'. I don't remember it.
Trauma can do that.
I'm so sorry that happened, and beyond grateful that she is safe. You are safe. Everyone is safe. I would hug you, I would say it over, and over, while I fruitlessly plotting vengeance.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@PinkAndBlueBling I’m so sorry this happened to you. It is so horrifying to even imagine. I can see why your mind protected you from this frightening experience. I’m sending you many gentle hugs..

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m so sorry you had to go thru this @PinkAndBlueBling. I’m so glad your daughter is safe. Like @ItsMainelyYou said keep repeating your daughters are safe, everyone is safe. Please take good care of yourself.
You are probably going to shaken up by this for a while. Hugs, Callie

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you! Having support from this community has truly warmed my heart and brought a few tears from the kindness.

@kenny Looking back, it certainly sounded like her, but in my haze anyone could have sounded like her. I don't really know. My brain said it was my baby girl. :confused:

I rarely get headaches, but I get a mild headache when I think about it.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
I'm so sorry you were targeted for this sicko crime. Please know you are loved and appreciated here and we are all supportive for your rest and recovery. It may take some time. Please give yourself as much care as possible. xo

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
As my Australian sister said
WTF ?

What the hell kind of world do we live in that this happens ?

Now its your mind trying to protect you from the truma by hiding the memory

I have found when ive been under a lot of stress and pressure my memory just doesn't work but i think yours is a defence mechanism

Just try and spend some nice happy family time together and make some new warm loving safe memories

Perhaps a chat with a nice therapist wouldn't be a bad idea so you can process what happened and put in behind you

Hugs from us all 063f6cdf82c50f4a2208f361e8d8bd90.jpg

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my goodness!! This is sickening!! I feel woozy thinking about getting a call like that and hearing hearing "my daughter" crying. I feel positively ill, what a horrible thing to put you through. I am so sorry!

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh. I received a call from an unknown number last week. The caller claimed they had kidnapped my daughter (DD2), which I did not believe until they put "her" on the phone and all I could hear was her crying and calling for me. It sounded like her. I remember nothing from that day.

My other daughter (DD1) called the police, who were able to make contact with my daughter (DD2) and verify she was safe. It's a common scam, but I snapped. DD1 took me to the hospital because I was disoriented and had amnesia. They weren't worried about a stroke, so we left after waiting over an hour. I remember nothing. I guess it was situational amnesia and I probably won't remember it all as my brain bailed on me because the call was too upsetting.

I awoke the next day feeling like I had some very strange dreams. My daughters and a couple friends filled me in on some of it. I was my usual inappropriate self so DD1 stopped worrying about me. The day felt fuzzy though.

Today, hubby gave me a little more info. He's a pacifist but said he'd like to beat whoever called me. I guess I asked him a bunch of random questions that day. He said he knew I was going to be OK because I asked him if his mom had died and when he said "Yes" I smirked. I still don't remember that day or much of the day before that. All I can hear is "my daughter's" voice on the phone, calling and crying for me. (I did contact my doctor, but no one is worried about a stroke. I had zero signs and I am surrounded by medical professionals.)

I just needed to share this horrible event with you all, since you are such a supportive community. I figured no one normally remembers each day of their life so this little blip is OK. But, damn! How screwed-up are these people to make such horrible calls? If they hadn't had "her" voice, I'd have been fine. It's just funny how the brain works, that even when I knew she was OK, I still was a mess.

Oh goodness! I am so sorry this happened. I can't even imagine if someone did that to me. I am so happy your daughter is ok and I hope you feel better soon.

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
I’m so sorry for what happened, @PinkAndBlueBling. It’s absolutely horrifying to know what lengths some depraved people will go to for money. It seems the world is becoming more frightening day by day. This was way worse than the usual scams we hear about.
I’m so glad that your family is OK.

And as far as them having your daughter’s voice - I have a friend who was targeted in a scam, with her neighbour’s voice, telling her he had been arrested, and could she give him money.

My friend said it sounded exactly like his voice.

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What a horrible thing to happen to you. No wonder you are feeling traumatised! As others have said it sounds like your hazy recollections of that day are a protective mechanism. Thank goodness your daughter is OK. Hopefully you will start to feel more normal again once the shock has worn off and some time has passed.

Who are these scumbags that do these kind of things? I cant even imagine what kind of people they are :angryfire:

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

Pretty terrible!. Your mind needs rest. It has experienced a trauma. It needs to heal. Pamper yourself a bit and hug those wonderful daughters. I'm so sorry his happened to you. It must have been terrible.

Annette

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good lord. The person who did this is close to you and/or your daughters, probably closer than you think. I'd want to know who it was.

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The police said it was a burner phone and this is becoming fairly common lately. Burner phones should be traceable. I watched Breaking Bad and Narcos, so I know they are used for evil. :lol-2:

DD had an abusive boyfriend 5 or so years ago who threatened to hire someone to kill her. My friend who was a DA at one time said DD would have to testify she was scared for her life in order to file a restraining order. DD laughed and said she wasn't scared of him because he was too stupid. I don't know where that loser is now. Sounds horrible, but if he's dead, I'm good!

I'm super sensitive about anyone upsetting my babies. This caller hit me in my weakest spot at a time when I'm already stressed. I've got the downstairs pipe leak and ensuing demolition/reconstruction to deal with, plus my fur baby has congestive heart failure which is getting worse. So it was a crappy time to mess with my head. :cry2:

My doctor gave me the name of a neurologist, who I am planning to see just to make sure my brain is physically OK.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so sorry this happened to you @PinkAndBlueBling. It is scary how sick and twisted some people are. Please be gentle with yourself and allow yourself some time to recover from this trauma. Sending lots of comfort and hugs to you.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@PinkAndBlueBling I am so sorry you went through this harrowing ordeal. No words. Sending you love and light and gentle hugs. Thank goodness your daughters are AOK. I cannot imagine anything more terrifying. ((((Hugs)))).

And sending bucketloads of healing vibes to your furry baby.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG.
How horrific.
How sick and perverted.
Firstly, situational amnesia is totally normal.
Your brain is very clever, it blocks memories that are overwhelmingly distressing, it’s a protection mechanism.
When my dog was fatally attacked while I was with my daughter (then 8) I have no memory of the attack. I remember walking down the street and the next memory is outside the vet, in a strangers car, with the vet coming to the car and taking the dog who was wrapped in a towel.
I did however get PTSD. I strongly recommend seeing a therapist. You may find yourself suddenly bursting into tears or feeling sick with “impending doom”. The triggers can be unexpected. This too is normal.
Sending hugs.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my goodness!! This is sickening!! I feel woozy thinking about getting a call like that and hearing hearing "my daughter" crying. I feel positively ill, what a horrible thing to put you through. I am so sorry!

+ a billion

GeliL

Shiny_Rock
I know of those scams as well. It usually is a very generic screaming voice, and its purpose is to trigger an emotional response from a parent to not be able to think straight when hearing the scream, so it doesn't need to sound similar. Screaming and crying voices in particular are hard to distinguish from each other.

With non-scream voices, they would mass call people and rely on the chance of someone sounding like them. Because they don't need everyone scammed, just a few who's willing to pay a lot.

Regardless, the emotional trauma for something like this is immeasurable and I am very sorry you had to through that..it's always beyond low that scammers take advantage of people's vulnerabilities to their profit. It's disgusting

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
SI know of those scams as well. It usually is a very generic screaming voice, and its purpose is to trigger an emotional response from a parent to not be able to think straight when hearing the scream, so it doesn't need to sound similar. Screaming and crying voices in particular are hard to distinguish from each other.

This is so true @GeliL.

I’ve been thinking of you today @PinkAndBlueBling and hope you are doing ok.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
That's awful and I'm sorry it happened.

Consider getting some trauma counseling, ok?

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
This is just so horrible. I can’t imagine how distressing this must have been. Something happening to one of my daughters is my worst nightmare. There are some truly sick people in this world.

I hope you can overcome this dreadful experience without any more suffering. As a poster said above lingering responses to this kind of shock are not unusual. Make sure you reach out to your loved ones for support whenever you need it.

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you all, again, for the support! After I see the neurologist this week, I will probably look for someone trained in EMDR as it's very effective with PTSD. Today was filled with anxiety and I even asked my husband if he could come home early, which I haven't done since the kids were little. He's even going to bake cookies for me.

I'm a trained on-scene trauma counselor, but it all goes out the window when it's personal.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my god. I don’t even know what to say. How COMPLETELY traumatic @PinkAndBlueBling. I’m so glad your daughter is in fact okay… I can’t begin to imagine the rage your husband - and everyone else in your family!! - must be feeling. I’m so sorry. I hope the cookies helped a bit… Have a couple extra tonight ❤️

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results