shape
carat
color
clarity

Stress Inclusions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
MayDay
Under the polariscope, intense fiery
red/orange.

Under 10X; rainbow-colored clusters;
salt & pepper combo with the internal
pique black surrounded grey-white border.

Grey-white feathers breaking the
girdle surface and/or running
from the girdle plane towards
the culet.

The above is quoted from that other forum and was what to look for as signs of stress that might lead to eventual breakage.

I am asking here about "salt & pepper combo with the internal pique black surrounded by grey-white border" would this affect durability if it is just one black pinpoint with white pinpoints around it?

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
bump

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is this referring to larger areas of black pique surrounded by grey/white salt & pepper type inclusions or is one very small black crystal surrounded by grey a concern?

P.S. This was posted by Barry on that forum but I am no longer a member of that forum so cannot ask him.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
(bump)

MerKaBa

Rough_Rock
I am not sure about the salt and pepper combo, but I don''t think the polariscope works for OTL stones. It doesn''t give accurate readings for optic character at least.

In regards to feathers, are you saying it is essentially "verical" running feathers? Becasue feathers on the girdle are one of the most common inclusions in diamonds when small should not pose any risk to the integrity of a stone.

Diamonds are durable crystal structures with cleavage planes but are not indestructible so if you smack one hard enough (feather or not) it could potentially crack or break.

Perhaps one of the appraiser can chime in about how they check for stress and whether it requires special instrumentation.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
MerKaBa

What are "OTL" stones? - don''t know what the abbreviation means.

Regarding the feathers = this is a quote from a diamond cutter and vendor on another post on another forum so I do not know if he only meant ''vertical running'' feathers.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
MerKaBa

Are you a jeweller or in the gemtrade in anyway?

Does OTL mean ''Over the Limit''.

Could strain in stones be tested with these over the limit diamonds found on ebay with all the inclusions in them as no one will break good quality stones ofcourse?

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
bump

MerKaBa

Rough_Rock
Hi Pyramid,

OTL does mean "Over the Limits" which refers to those stones which have a higher Refractive Index reading than can be measured by the refractometer. So, stones with an R.I. over 1.8. These OTL stones give inaccurate optic character readings in the polariscope.

Other examples are Zircon, synthetic rutile, CZ, andradite garnet and spessartite garnet

"Could strain in stones be tested with these over the limit diamonds found on ebay with all the inclusions in them as no one will break good quality stones ofcourse?"

All diamonds are OTL which has nothing to do with stress or strain in the stones. I am not sure about these eBay diamonds you speak of.

I have had some experience in the gem and mineral world which is why I questioned the question. The fact that noone has replied to your past makes me think the answers to your question are unsure. You should PM an appraiser.

I'd be curious what you find out. Please let me know. Thanks!

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
MerKaBa

I thought 'over the limit' meant the stones were so opaque that is why I mentioned those I3 or lower diamonds which sell on ebay.

I have asked an appraiser about the black pinpoints surrounded by white question but it really would need to be inspected by a qualified appraiser to get a real answer.

Regarding the polariscope maybe one of the gemmologists or appraisers on the forum can answer about the refractometer and over the limit stones and inaccurate readings for optic character in diamonds?????????????

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can any of the experts answer MerKaBa''s part of the question about the polariscope?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results