shape
carat
color
clarity

Stress at work... just a quick vent

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

StarbuttsKoffee

Shiny_Rock
I''m a graphic artist... currently updating new catalogues for the company... ended up with numerous mistakes on the pricing information (they did proofread for me)... with limited access to product pricing, I have to rely on the sales team, and product managers to provide me product information. They didn''t give me the current/correct prices but now they all pointed at me for such mistakes when it happened... sigh... so just before my lunch hour, I passed the revised catalogues to one of the managers, I couldn''t hold onto my tears anymore and how silly I broke down in front of her....

I want to quit... nothing much just need to vent a bit
8.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
((((((((biggest hugs))))))))

Its ok sweetheart! I understand how you must feel - so unfair that they should blame you for their ineptitude!!! Hang in there though, mistakes can be our teachers and if it helps us to learn to maybe not rely on others when you should be able to
5.gif
, then maybe some good can come out of this which might be useful in future.

Hold your head high and be extra good to yourself - you deserve it! This day will pass and better ones are ahead - promise!

StarbuttsKoffee

Shiny_Rock
Thx Lorelei.... sigh........

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Hey, mistakes happen, right? ...they got their catalog, and you did your job...it shows true character to be able to feel so let down and still hand in an amazing product. Good for you!! So please, don''t cry...this isn''t worth your tears. I am sure you''re just frusterated, after all, why do you have to pay for their oversights?

And as far as the crying at work thing...it happens to everyone, I promise! Dry your eyes, get yourself a cool glass of water (interchangable for wine after 5p, of course) and take a deep breath.

((big hugs))

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/28/2009 2:58:44 PM
Author: StarbuttsKoffee
Thx Lorelei.... sigh........
You are most welcome! It WILL be ok - hang in there! Also you have NOTHING to feel bad about in breaking down, it happens my dear, you are not alone.

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Oh sweetie! You''re having one of those dreadful work days. It''s so predictable that people chose to point the finger...you''re just the fall guy this time.
38.gif

Unless you hate your job (and really do want to quit) remember that you''re having a bad day and it WILL get better. (((BIG hugs)))

PS--Don''t worry about crying in front of her, I''m sure she''s done it at least once in her lifetime (we all have, or will, at some point
2.gif
)

StarbuttsKoffee

Shiny_Rock
Thx Italiahaircolor, yes I must go get a couple glasses of champagne @5P (can''t drink wine)

Thanks ladies!! XOXOXO

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Awwwww ***HUGS*** I'm sorry about the stress.

I'm a graphic designer as well so I hear you on that one! Sometimes it can get so frustrating when people do this to us!!!
32.gif
I've been blamed for stuff like that too. I HATE with a passion when someone responds to me on a project and says 'YOU left out...' whenever THEY never gave me that information. Makes me just want to call them on the phone and scream "HEY DUMB A$$!!!!! YOU NEVER FLIPPING GAVE ME THE INFORMATION!!!!!!!! How about you get you stuff straight then send me the copy and leave the designing to me! I'm not a writer!!" lol

I also love so much whenever they give me copy that is misspelled. Then say I forget to run a spell check for whatever reason...then I send them the design and it goes back and forth with changes and then AFTER we get the proof back...."OOPS...looks like YOU misspelled this word."
6.gif
29.gif
No, YOU misspelled it. YOU wrote it, YOU should have done the spell check to begin with...lol! Oh, but now suddenly it's my fault after they have proofed it about 1,000 times and missed the mistake?

I'm here for you Starbutts!
4.gif

Wow, looks like I just had a mini rant of my own..

Definitely. Maybe

Brilliant_Rock
I am sure the manager you gave the catalogue to realizes it wasn't your fault. Mistakes happen and even if they do think it was your fault they know that too. I am sure by seeing your true feelings on the situation, they know it wasn't on purpose or a careless mistake on your part. It will all work out. Just keep your head up and feel free to vent anytime. I am sure just typing it out here made a little difference. Big hugs!

StarbuttsKoffee

Shiny_Rock
you are right Bia, honestly, I don''t really hate my job that much but when it comes to a point that they don''t give me clear direction/information and lead me to wrong place and made mistakes due to the same root reason over and over again... I don''t know.. anyway, just a job after all.... I''m all happy when they give me the checks every other week, and thank you so much all of your kind words + support, I''m glad I have you all and my Fi listening to my vent... *HUGS*

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
I thought it might make you laugh for a minute if I told you about the latest breakdown on my employees had in my office...

So, working in the makeup industry I have some very artistic yet moody/senstive employees. For the most part I can navigate my way around them pretty well and I genuinely love my team. Anyway, I work for a mid-sized cosmetics firm that also moonlights as an artist agency -- and we do on location wedding services or special events for even bigger firms.

One of the events we work annually is something a brand that starts with R does called a beauty-bar. R hosts a ton of them nation wide and it is a way they introduce new products to the consumer , and my team works the Chicago market for them on an as-needed basis.

Well, recently we were hired on to do an event at Union Station in downtown Chicago. I assigned lead to one of my most trusted employees, we''ll call him J. Super talented and responsible guy but this was his first big break to lead an event. Because he was lead, I put him incharge of about $15,000 worth of R cosmetics. R sends me these products to pass along to my lead...my lead is responsible for handing out one product to a guest, and making sure our artists have a complete stock to preview the clients..however, once the event is finished, the left over stock is then passed on to the next event.

So, event goes off without a hitch...but the morning after J knocks on my door and asks to speak with me, he is clearly upset and I can tell something is wrong...he goes on to tell me that he left a whole bin of cosmetics at the train station by mistake and when he rushed back for them, they were gone. Of course I felt sick to my stomach...that''s a lot of makeup to go missing and nothing we can explain away...but, mistakes happen..being lead is a lot of responsibility and getting stressed out wasn''t going to solve anything. I told J not to worry, we''d be responsible as company...J of course was terribly upset and offered to pay for the losses which I told him I''d never allow.

I then put in the hard call to my contact at R...explained the situation...and she was so understanding. She ordered up more stock, and had it sent directly to the next location. In the end, it was like nothing ever happened...it was no big deal at all. Accidents happen. Oversights or undersights...thats life. I''ve since entrusted J with more leads, and he''s learned from his first "oopps"...it''s actually made him a better lead and his MUA enjoy working under him very much.

So please remember, it does happen to everyone.

StarbuttsKoffee

Shiny_Rock
Dreamgirl!! Is that a package on our job description that we have to suffer these blames and blah on our designer contract that we miss out? My boss always wants me to write stuff for him, but hey.... I''m not a writer, once I wrote for him and he finally realized I cannot write at all... man, I just want to concentrate on the graphics work...I hear you too Dreamgirl...

Thanks DM *HUGS*

StarbuttsKoffee

Shiny_Rock
Thanks italiahaircolor for the sharing, feel bad for J. but yah, things do happen when it has to happen...

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
I''m sorry Starrbutts, it sounds like their taking their work frustrations out on you! Don''t worry, your boss will know it''s not your mistake, and be upfront with her if you need to be.

{HUGS}

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2009 3:21:21 PM
you are right Bia, honestly, I don't really hate my job that much but when it comes to a point that they don't give me clear direction/information and lead me to wrong place and made mistakes due to the same root reason over and over again... I don't know.. anyway, just a job after all.... I'm all happy when they give me the checks every other week, and thank you so much all of your kind words + support, I'm glad I have you all and my Fi listening to my vent... *HUGS*
I understand where you're coming from. My SIL is also a graphic designer/artist and she is the only one in the entire department (company really). She designs all the publications, and believe me when I tell you, when her higher-ups aren't meddling, they are complaining. They just don't get it and she has learned to accept and appreciate that this job does not define her, nor will it be her life forever!

Glad you're feeling better!
2.gif

ETA: I wanted to add that I don't think many companies (or bosses for that matter) realize the kind of pressure and hard working conditions many graphic designers work under. It is not an easy job (even harder to be creative when you're working with idiots!), and yet I bet, most of the time they are very impressed with the work you all churn out day-after-day.

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2009 3:26:19 PM
Dreamgirl!! Is that a package on our job description that we have to suffer these blames and blah on our designer contract that we miss out? My boss always wants me to write stuff for him, but hey.... I''m not a writer, once I wrote for him and he finally realized I cannot write at all... man, I just want to concentrate on the graphics work...I hear you too Dreamgirl...

Thanks DM *HUGS*
Yeah really!
20.gif
I had someone come to me earlier this month wanting a MLK poster made for a MLK event. Ok, fine. So first, he wants me to get a quote online. He sends me this link to a HUGE speach Martin Luther King gave and he wants me to read the thing to find a good quote?!? No way. I emailed him and told him he could find the quote...lol!

So he had the info, gave it to me, I designed it. When I noticed that the times for the events were funny looking. As in it said: "6:00 pm for a light lunch"
33.gif
I email him about it and he says oh! Nice catch! But then he has the nerve to ask me........"So....what time do you think it should be?" HUH?!
40.gif
It''s not my event. How would I know!? lol
20.gif
29.gif
9.gif

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2009 3:54:04 PM
Author: Bia
I understand where you''re coming from. My SIL is also a graphic designer/artist
You never told me that BIA!!!!!!!!!!!
6.gif

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2009 4:04:00 PM
Author: Dreamgirl

I understand where you're coming from. My SIL is also a graphic designer/artist
6.gif
Yes M’am. She's very talented. She offered to do my wedding invites and I am gladly taking her up on it (I'm no fool!) because after seeing hers, I am still amazed just how talented she really is.

StarbuttsKoffee

Shiny_Rock
I almost yelled at my boss this morning when he told me not to print forms in color
40.gif
I got the file in color from the sales department(they could have printed them on their own! I was just printing for them as a favor) and without having any notice on printing them in black and white I printed them in color, just some common sense right... o well.....

Thanks Porridge!

Sometimes(well most of the time) boss is very unreasonable and unrealistic....its crazy!!! I can vent about his stuff days and nights, not worth not worth

StarbuttsKoffee

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/28/2009 4:07:00 PM

I understand where you''re coming from. My SIL is also a graphic designer/artist
6.gif

Yes M’am. She''s very talented. She offered to do my wedding invites and I am gladly taking her up on it (I''m no fool!) because after seeing hers, I am still amazed just how talented she really is.

Show us ur wedding invites Bia!!

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2009 4:16:05 PM

Date: 1/28/2009 4:07:00 PM

I understand where you're coming from. My SIL is also a graphic designer/artist
6.gif

Yes M’am. She's very talented. She offered to do my wedding invites and I am gladly taking her up on it (I'm no fool!) because after seeing hers, I am still amazed just how talented she really is.

Show us ur wedding invites Bia!!
Actually, no, that's just the offer LOL. Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that she did them already. My wedding will likely be at least a year and a half from now, so nothing in the works just yet
2.gif
. But I have hers, so if she gives me permission, I'll be sure to post them. They were gorgeous!

Steel

Ideal_Rock
I love your screen name! That gave me such a giggle.

I am sorry you had a crappy day. Hope is it better now.

StarbuttsKoffee

Shiny_Rock
Steel: lol Glad you like it kekeke was having the starbucks coffee when thinking of a screen name, coffee sometimes inspire my creativity
16.gif

Bia: we''ll wait we''ll wait!!
27.gif

StarbuttsKoffee

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/28/2009 4:01:55 PM
Date: 1/28/2009 3:26:19 PM

Thanks DM *HUGS*
Yeah really!
20.gif
I had someone come to me earlier this month wanting a MLK poster made for a MLK event. Ok, fine. So first, he wants me to get a quote online. He sends me this link to a HUGE speach Martin Luther King gave and he wants me to read the thing to find a good quote?!? No way. I emailed him and told him he could find the quote...lol!

So he had the info, gave it to me, I designed it. When I noticed that the times for the events were funny looking. As in it said: ''6:00 pm for a light lunch''
33.gif
I email him about it and he says oh! Nice catch! But then he has the nerve to ask me........''So....what time do you think it should be?'' HUH?!
40.gif
It''s not my event. How would I know!? lol
20.gif
29.gif
9.gif

lol I missed ur post Dreamgirl, just read it when I''m at home, Yes, that happened to me pretty often too, I guess its pretty much like we shop for diamond and ask the salesperson for quick opinion lol Something I think pretty funny happened to my friend that he had customers asked him over the counter (he''s a pharmacist working in retail drug store) that which condom is good.... (I was like what??! LOL), and most recently, he got customer asked him for shampoo suggestion for dry hair... (
6.gif
)!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results