shape
carat
color
clarity

Strawberry Dessert Recipes?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
We have a bunch of beautiful stawberries in the fridge and a dinner guest tomorrow evening, so I''m looking for a yummy strawberry dessert recipe. Anyone?

ellaila

Brilliant_Rock
Yes!

This is from Cooking Light, and it is deeeeelicious!! I just use a prebought Oreo crust, and I think it''s actually better without the chocolate drizzled on top -- just a huuuuge dollop of fresh whipped cream! Just be sure the gelatin gets all blended or else there will be hard little gelatin balls, which are not pleasant.

Oh I''m so craving this now!
18.gif

Strawberry Pie
From Cooking Light

Strawberries do double duty in this pie. Some are blended into a puree and combined with gelatin, then more fresh berries are added to the filling.

1 1/4 cups chocolate wafer crumbs (about 20 cookies, such as Nabisco''s Famous Chocolate Wafers)
2 1/2 tablespoons butter, melted
Cooking spray
1 1/2 cups sliced strawberries
1/2 cup sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons boiling water
1 envelope unflavored gelatin
4 cups sliced strawberries
1/4 cup vanilla-flavored baking chips
Preheat oven to 400°.
Combine wafer crumbs and butter, tossing with a fork until moistened. Press crumb mixture into a 9-inch pie plate coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 9 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.

Place 1 1/2 cups sliced strawberries, sugar, and salt in a blender; process until smooth.

Combine boiling water and gelatin in a medium bowl; let stand 5 minutes. Stir until gelatin dissolves. Stir in the pureed strawberry mixture.

Spoon 4 cups sliced strawberries into cooled crust. Pour the gelatin mixture evenly over sliced strawberries. Chill, uncovered, 2 hours or until set.

Place chips in a small heavy-duty zip-top plastic bag; seal. Submerge bag in very hot water until chips melt. Snip a tiny hole in 1 corner of bag, and drizzle melted chips over pie.

Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 wedge)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 239(33% from fat); FAT 8.8g (sat 4.7g,mono 2g,poly 0.6g); PROTEIN 3.2g; CHOLESTEROL 11mg; CALCIUM 44mg; SODIUM 212mg; FIBER 3.1g; IRON 1mg; CARBOHYDRATE 38.4g
Here''s the URL too if you want to see what it looks like http://food.cookinglight.com/cooking/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=642349

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
cooking light has a ton i am sure.

i love strawberries with angel food cake, my local store has a sugar free one that tastes just as good and i cut it up, pile strawberries around it (sliced) then some whipped cream and chocolate shavings. yum. it''s one of my faves right now.

or you can do parfaits with sugar free jello puddings (like banana cream or vanilla or chocolate) and then layer the puddings with strawberries in the parfait dishes along with fat free cool whip and then chocolate shavings or biscotti.

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/30/2007 7:45:23 PM
Author: ellaila

Yes!

This is from Cooking Light, and it is deeeeelicious!! I just use a prebought Oreo crust, and I think it''s actually better without the chocolate drizzled on top -- just a huuuuge dollop of fresh whipped cream! Just be sure the gelatin gets all blended or else there will be hard little gelatin balls, which are not pleasant.

Oh I''m so craving this now!
18.gif

Strawberry Pie
From Cooking Light

Strawberries do double duty in this pie. Some are blended into a puree and combined with gelatin, then more fresh berries are added to the filling.

1 1/4 cups chocolate wafer crumbs (about 20 cookies, such as Nabisco''s Famous Chocolate Wafers)
2 1/2 tablespoons butter, melted
Cooking spray
1 1/2 cups sliced strawberries
1/2 cup sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons boiling water
1 envelope unflavored gelatin
4 cups sliced strawberries
1/4 cup vanilla-flavored baking chips

Preheat oven to 400°.
Combine wafer crumbs and butter, tossing with a fork until moistened. Press crumb mixture into a 9-inch pie plate coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 9 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.

Place 1 1/2 cups sliced strawberries, sugar, and salt in a blender; process until smooth.

Combine boiling water and gelatin in a medium bowl; let stand 5 minutes. Stir until gelatin dissolves. Stir in the pureed strawberry mixture.

Spoon 4 cups sliced strawberries into cooled crust. Pour the gelatin mixture evenly over sliced strawberries. Chill, uncovered, 2 hours or until set.

Place chips in a small heavy-duty zip-top plastic bag; seal. Submerge bag in very hot water until chips melt. Snip a tiny hole in 1 corner of bag, and drizzle melted chips over pie.

Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 wedge)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 239(33% from fat); FAT 8.8g (sat 4.7g,mono 2g,poly 0.6g); PROTEIN 3.2g; CHOLESTEROL 11mg; CALCIUM 44mg; SODIUM 212mg; FIBER 3.1g; IRON 1mg; CARBOHYDRATE 38.4g

Here''s the URL too if you want to see what it looks like http://food.cookinglight.com/cooking/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=642349
As soon as I saw the title of this thread I thought....Yum Strawberry Pie!!! My MIL has a recipe similar to this, but, it has a layer of cream cheese between the crust and the berries.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
kimberly i also recently saw something about using marscapone with strawberries in a parfait. marscapone is not that bad for you if you don''t eat a trough of it, so you could do some whipped marscapone with sugar (or splenda) to make it sweet and then pile the berries on top and then some chocolate shavings or chocolate biscotti and whipped cream. yum!!

strawberries are so easy to use in desserts, and many of them don''t even require baking so i love it! for the last 3 weeks i have had a container of strawberries in the fridge, i use them in my cereal, on my waffles, in our desserts, etc. i really love strawberry season!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh here is something along the lines of what i was thinking. i have this italian cookbook that has a similar recipe which i think is where i thought about it originally:

http://www.mccormick.com/recipedetail.cfm?id=12730

balsamic and marscapone with berries are what the recipe i have at home is all about. marscapone is pretty rich so you don''t need that much. mmmm!!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
So I sent DH to the store to get all the ingredients, he returned w/ everything but the pie crust, so we drove back to the store and got a pie crust. We came home, I went to set it on the counter, it fell on the floor and broke into a ton of pieces. I decided I was not meant to make strawberry pie today, so I melted some semi-sweet chocolate and some white chocolate and made chocolate covered strawberries. They are not very attractive, as it was a first attempt but they''ll have to do.

Giada

Shiny_Rock
I know this is too late for your dinner party, but here is my favorite dessert to make with strawberries. Easy and delicious!

Strawberries Romanoff

2 pints strawberries, washed and stemmed
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup orange liqueur, such as Grand Marnier or Cointreau
1 pint vanilla ice cream (I'm partial to Haagen-Dazs)
1 cup heavy cream

Macerate the strawberries in orange liqueur and sugar about one hour. Meanwhile, allow the ice cream to soften in the refrigerator. Whip the cream until soft peaks form, then fold in softened ice cream. Serve over strawberries.

I don't like to do the "lighter version" when I have guests, but when I make this for a casual dessert for myself and my husband, I do lighten it up a bit. I use about half the sugar to macerate the berries, I skip the heavy cream and ice cream, substituting whipping cream with a bit of sugar, vanilla and Grand Marnier added for taste. It is still tasty this way and much lighter.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Giada,

That looks wonderful, thank you for sharing!

~K

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results