shape
carat
color
clarity

Stranger (and Neighbor) Danger...4th time this week

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I honestly don't know. I have read some statistics saying violent crime has declined in the last few years. Yet we still read stories like the one you posted. I don't know the answer. I do think from my perspective that since the pandemic people are not as kind in general as they were before. Perhaps social isolation and social media play a part. I noticed that my friends and family have a very hard time putting down their phones when we get together. I do not believe virtual friends will ever give us the satisfaction that flesh and blood friends do, but it seems that social media can be addictive to some. And I believe that impacts real flesh and blood interactions. Interested in everyone's perspective on this.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The stories below happened within the past week. You aren’t alone in thinking this country is nuts.

A 16 year old boy who was shot in the head and arm for going to the wrong house and ringing the door bell. He went to the house to pick up his twin brothers. The house address he was supposed to go to was one block over, The boy was black, the 85 year old man who shot him was white. It was 10:30 PM. The kid was a tall skinny kid. If the man was frightened, why not call the police and not go near the door? This happened in Missouri which has a stand your ground law.

Two teenager girls were shot for going to the wrong car and opening the car door. This happened in a grocery store parking lot during the day in Texas. One of the girls was in critical condition.

A 20 year old woman was shot and killed by a man sitting on his porch in Hebron, NY. They turned their car into the wrong driveway. The man shot at the car and killed the woman.

@Karl_K. Do you think the state we live in will ever allow people to walk around carrying guns out in the open? I’m talking about strapping a gun to your chest and walking down the street where everyone can see it. This would scare the daylights out of me.

Last edited:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
@Karl_K. Do you think the state we live in will ever allow people to walk around carrying guns out in the open? I’m talking about strapping a gun to your chest and walking down the street where everyone can see it. This would scare the daylights out of me.
Not unless forced to by the courts.
They just passed a bunch of laws the courts are going to overturn.
I am for constitutional carry, CCW ie: no permits beyond a background check at gun purchase.
However except in times of extreme emergency or when hunting, I'm not a fan of open carry.

My question is.. This guy hit someone over the head with a hammer which is attempted murder, why was he not in jail?
That would have prevented this from happening.
I know someone who was assaulted at that level, her attacker was out of jail before she got out of the hospital having paid no bail.
There is no justice in the criminal system.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know someone who was assaulted at that level, her attacker was out of jail before she got out of the hospital having paid no bail.
There is no justice in the criminal system.
[/QUOTE]

This is insane! The poor woman.

Thank you for your opinion on open carry @Karl_K. It’s making me feel better.

Last edited:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Calliecake as you know, I am one state away and open carry is allowed here. I see it once in awhile but not to the extent one would think. During hunting season if you’re 18 you can bring your hunting guns in your vehicle and park it at school as long as you keep the vehicle locked and the guns out of plain sight. When I was in high school not ALL that long ago, kids would have their guns clearly visible inside the cabs of their trucks on the racks in the back windshields. Right there in the parking lot. We just never thought anything of it. Idk when things changed to making sure weapons were locked up and concealed; I graduated in ‘95, and Columbine happened in 1999 BUT Paducah, KY (people forget about that one) happened before that in 1997.

It’s just crazy to me how out of control things have become in 30 years. Today is the 30th anniversary of Columbine, actually. It’s clearly assault-style weapons that have become the problem. I will never understand why ppl fight SO hard to keep access to those easy. It’s ridiculous.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't have an issue with constitutional carry either. However. no open carry, too many nuts down here. I do have a license an do carry. I think it depends on you, your mind set, lot of other factors.

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's scary times out there, my husband has concealed carry permit and he carries whenever we go out of our local area, it's just too crazy out there.

B

Betty Baguette

My husband just witnessed a carjacking a few days ago. It brought back traumatic memories of his own carjacking a couple of years ago. :(2

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Calliecake I graduated in ‘95, and Columbine happened in 1999 BUT Paducah, KY (people forget about that one) happened before that in 1997.

It’s just crazy to me how out of control things have become in 30 years. Today is the 30th anniversary of Columbine, actually. It’s clearly assault-style weapons that have become the problem. I will never understand why ppl fight SO hard to keep access to those easy. It’s ridiculous.

Either your math or my math is off! :???:

Either way, that was a horrible day in history. Still painful to think of some of the images I saw on TV.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Either your math or my math is off! :???:

Either way, that was a horrible day in history. Still painful to think of some of the images I saw on TV.

It’s mine. It’s actually the math of the radio DJ on the lunchtime hour, but I should’ve double checked before repeating it! Lol

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Sensible regulations, like other countries have implemented would go a long way. Shootings of six or more were down 37% with the previous assault weapons ban. It rose by 183% after the ban was lifted. It worked. It will work even better if we do not allow grandfathering of existing weapons/accessories and close modification loopholes.
Add in some actual regulations with teeth and we'd be much safer. Guns are the number one cause of death for our children.
Our hyper gun culture is a problem, it's a sickness. It's killing us.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results