shape
carat
color
clarity

strange wedding present...

Mrs.W 514

Brilliant_Rock
My fiance and I are getting married in 2.5 months(!) We have decided to exchange wedding presents even though we are on a tight budget. Originally the presents were going to be a surprise, but I broke the rules and asked him for something. The new birth control called Implanon (flexible little rod that goes in your arm and works for 3 years). It is just over $1000 and we could just barely make it work. Our insurance wont cover it and it would be great to have this as we don't want children for at least 3 years. Personally I think it is incredibly practical but not romantic, should practicality outweigh romantic? What do you guys think? is that just too weird to do as a wedding present? When I give him new skis on our wedding day is it going to lead to an uncomfortable explanation?

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
You said you asked him - what did he say? Is he the kind of guy who would value practicality over sentimentality? Who do you have to give an explanation to where you fear it will be uncomfortable? Why do you have to explain anything to anyone?

It wouldn't be my choice, but it also isn't my life or my relationship. It's yours!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, that would be a present for the both of you now, wouldn't it? This way, your gift is actually $500 each and very practical. I wouldn't view this as a gift just for you at all. If this is the route you want to go this is what I suggest. You guys get this "gift" and then you split the rest of your budget for a smaller, more romantic gift for the each of you. Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

ps if your insurance company has a flex plan you might be able to use that to pay for this implant.

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
I think Missy has given you a great suggestion, you get the implant as well as something else as a keepsake for your wedding gift.

titian23

Shiny_Rock
Future Mrs W ....

This is completely unsolicited advice so please feel free to say thanks but no thanks, but have you considered Mirena? The reason I ask is I believe it would be cheaper then $1k it lasts 2 years longer (but if you are ready earlier you can get pregnant as soon as it's taken out) and it only contains localized hormones so nothing going through your entire body. I've been using it for 6 years now, I'm on my second one, and I have never experienced any side effects at all! Some dr's say its only for women who have had children but I've never had children and it's been fine. I love it! Anyway, thought that if you hadn't explored that option it might be a way to have the long term birth control AND the wedding present! ;-)

turboflgrl

Shiny_Rock
I think wedding gifts are a very personal thing and whatever you both agree on is perfectly ok no matter what it is. For us, we chose gifts that could be handed down to future generations because that was important to us. I gave my DH a diamond watch and he gave me the Cartier trinity ring I'd been pining after for quite some time. Just make sure that whatever decision you do make, you won't regret. I guess I just think a wedding gift is reserved for things of sentimental value as opposed to practicality.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
I can see why you want one, but I don't think it should qualify as your wedding present. To me, it is the same as "hey, we need a new refrigerator, so can that be my wedding present?" It's basically a tool that you will both be using equally. I agree with the previous poster- take the remaining gift budget and divide it.

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
I don't think you should do it because of Norplant. Same idea but five small implants supposed to work for five years. My friend had to have them out after two and by then they had traveled deep into the arm. She now has a very large scar because of it. There's also no telling how your body will react to it and $1,000 is a lot to loose if it doesn't go well

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1299147391|2863614 said:
Well, that would be a present for the both of you now, wouldn't it? This way, your gift is actually $500 each and very practical. I wouldn't view this as a gift just for you at all. If this is the route you want to go this is what I suggest. You guys get this "gift" and then you split the rest of your budget for a smaller, more romantic gift for the each of you. Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

ps if your insurance company has a flex plan you might be able to use that to pay for this implant.

My thoughts exactly! (you couldnt have said it better!)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results