shape
carat
color
clarity

Strange request from FMIL...

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Maybe this is a southern thing, but my parents have had a display for all of my sisters weddings and my own.

ETA: Just read all of the replies. Just wanted to add, that from my knowledge, no one is "invited" over solely for the purpose of showing off the gifts... it is just one of those things that is out for people who happen to come by the house, whether it be for a shower, the week before the wedding, or the after-wedding-day-brunch.

StonieGrl

Brilliant_Rock
I've seen this done before, usually only by the extremely wealthy, and its usually 'done' at the home of the bride's parents.

I think this got its start before electricity when there was little entertainment of any kind whatsoever and not much to do:

Oh look, they have Baccarat pattern Superdoozyexpensive! So pretty!

Also, this was done back when presents were delivered by the store they were purchased from and this would give the sender an opportunity to ensure the delivery was made.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
I've never heard of this. But, I think it's pretty cool, when done in the right context and with the right crowd. I would love to go to one of these showings.

StonieGrl

Brilliant_Rock
That sip-and-see sounded like a lot of fun, love looking at pretty things and thinking about the love and enjoyment they will be part of.

I laffed a little, the biggest "displayers" of wedding gifts? Royal famililes! In a way its a political thing to do: Oh, look what the Sultan of Brunei gave the happy couple! Look at those cheapskates the American people, they only gave a place setting!!! In a sense, the gifts are also gifts to the entire country.

I will be fun to see some of the things Kate and William are getting.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results